Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to take my son to whistler end of Jan 2015, and am wondering if people have any tips, tricks or advise on getting the best deal.

I'm thinking this is the last time i should take him out of school as his hard work will really begin after this time.

I'm looking at advise on best way to reduce the in resort costs, ski pass, food etc.

Were not into five star and would be happy with camp beds as long as the skiing is great.

So far I've worked it out thus £ 2300 Flights,Accommodation,Transfers
£ 750 Ski passes (Both)
£ 700 Spending or $ 100 per day

Can we get by on $100 per day, i appreciate whistler is going to be costly, but what are in resort costs for food, coffee etc.

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Esdel,

Self-catering and packing lunch onto the mountain will help of course. Have a look here http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/ for accommodation options. Consider staying in Creekside rather than Whistler Village may be cheaper - there doesn't seem to be any tax to pay on accommodation there.

Make sure you purchase lift passes early - there's a significant saving to be made there. This season they needed to be purchased before November 15th.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes SC for sure, we wont be into Fine dining, pizza and burgers are the way forward
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
2 of you could fly for less than £1,150 each I'm sure?
Self catering is the answer to cheap eating and easily doable on $100 a day (much less in fact!). Breakfast is one of the big ways to save - cereal/porridge made yourself is way cheaper than a bought brekkie.

You can eat out for $5 per main course at the furniture warehouse in the evenings, but drinks add up. Other places are in the region of $10-15 a main course plus drinks. But often specials around - especially on stuff like chicken wings for post skiing snacks before 6pm. Hunt out Fat Tony's pizza behind Blacks bar at the bottom of Whistler lifts for got $2 a slice (big slice!) pizza for lunch.
If you're self catering then get the local free paper (usually in racks outside the supermarket) and get the discount vouchers for your supermarket shopping.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Private room at the Youth Hostel? - bit of a PITA re buses though. Personally I'd get a studio at Creekside. Plenty of casual food options near by and a short bus ride back to the village in the evening for shops/cinema/cougar hunting etc.

Avoid Areas like Alpine and Emerald - longish bus ride in though Alpine is handy for the rec centre.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The £1150 is a package deal, flight transfers and hotel, if I work off that at least I know what it would be worse case.

I'm sure I can get the flights and a good deal seperate, but the transfers are what worries me, and being to far from the slopes, having a youngling in tow doesn't make for an easy time waiting for shuttle busses etc.

I'd rather pay a bit more and be close to the slopes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't know if Whistler is like Banff but last year we discovered a few canteen like places hidden away on the slopes that had hot water and microwaves. If you buy stuff from a supermarket for lunch that you can heat up like soup or noodles and leave it in a locker while you are skiing? We found our biggest cost was eating on the mountain especially with two kids. Remember portions are flipping humungous so you can often share something like a pizza or plate of nachos. We budgeted around £150 a day for four of us. Depends on how much beer and hot apple cider you fancy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy your flights early - very early. There's normally an Air Canada sale around the end of July. If you're not tied to Sat>Sat dates, then have a look at Air Transat through Candian Affair - you get some tremendous deals.

Cars are cheap in North America - just rent one. The drive through Vancouver isn't hard and since they dualled the highway for the Olympics, the run up to Whistler is lovely. Having a car also means you can stay in one of the other villages for a lot less coin; parking's easy at Blackcomb Base.

$100/day spending is more than plenty. As someone else said, get your passes well before the season opens to get the best discount.

Oh, and enjoy it - it's great.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stumbler wrote:
Buy your flights early - very early. There's normally an Air Canada sale around the end of July. If you're not tied to Sat>Sat dates, then have a look at Air Transat through Candian Affair - you get some tremendous deals.

Cars are cheap in North America - just rent one. The drive through Vancouver isn't hard and since they dualled the highway for the Olympics, the run up to Whistler is lovely. Having a car also means you can stay in one of the other villages for a lot less coin; parking's easy at Blackcomb Base.

$100/day spending is more than plenty. As someone else said, get your passes well before the season opens to get the best discount.

Oh, and enjoy it - it's great.

Actually no, don't drive there, there is no point. If you really stay somewhere else you can get a bus/taxi easily enough. Renting cars at Vancouver airport is not cheap as they add a whole whack of extra surcharges for the privilege.
There is no dual carriageway as such through Vancouver to Whistler (well Granville does have 2 or even 3 lanes, but not what you call a highway!) , getting from the Airport to the sea-to-sky is a pita. The drive up the sea to sky is also only lovely in good weather
Regular and good value coach transfers from the airport to Whistler that even can drop you off/pick you up at your chosen accommodation if you choose that option, also ridebookers transfer works.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We managed to get a late package deal for Jan 2012 for about half of what the OP is budgeting though Crystal, self catered in a 1-bed condo. Living cost a bit though as the exchange rate was bad at the time. What I would say though is that it's a long way to go for a week, if you can do 10/14 days (maybe a couple of days in Vancouver?) it won't feel like such a mission!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All of the above: Condo through Allura (1 bed condo's usually have a pull-down wall bed in the living room). Self cater. Take your food up the mountain (and yes, the lodges do have areas where you can brown-bag it and microwaves etc). Ski pass is discounted before November 15th every year (You can get this through a
Allura as well). We usually use the ridebookers transit: it provides a door-to-door transfer at a very reasonable rate.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
14 days for sure, I found flights for £ 950 for both ( based on going this year), which based on my budget leaves £ 1100 to find Accomadation and transfers, I'm sure I can get it for that.

Thanks for info
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy