Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiset - WTF?

Poster: A snowHead
How come typing skiset on this forum generates a link to a page telling users not to use them? Seems a bit excessive?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, does seem pretty unashamedly biased alright!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thats a bit naughty...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Outrageous ... did not think that this was what the Snowheads forum was about ... do they sell helmets? wink wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There were some issues, part of an explanation here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2418756&highlight=skiset#2418756
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks tiffin, still none the wiser after reading that though, lol!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never had an issue personally, but if you p155 off the owner of a large internet ski forum, I guess you don't get positive feedback.

Try Alpinresorts for similar discounts, and might even be the same shop. Binned my personal skiset codes now, so can't post them here.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Humpfknick, I think, though I may be wrong, a load of kit was arranged through them for a bash but it was crap and nothing could be done to sort it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aha, ah well now that's a silly thing to do, lol! wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've booked Economy skis from SkiSet as there was a particularly large discount. Does anyone know whether Economy will mean poor quality / uncomfortable equipment, or whether it's actually OK?

Speaking as a confident intermediate heading to Soll. Unlikely to go off-piste.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella have you paid yet? Snow & Fun in Soll are really good and very resonable, I have no idea about skiset, never heard of them till here...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
telford_mike,

and, unfortunately, by typing Sk*set in your post - another link gets generated !!

I posted a recommendation for Sk*set some time ago and Admin posted that he didn't trust them and suggested people used someone else
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Humpfknick, yes I've paid. SkiSet's shop in Soll is actually Snow & Fun anyway, so we'll end up going to the same place. Just not sure what quality of ski / service that will translate into...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it's a sad thing that snowHeads Inc. has adopted a corporate stance here, rather than maintaining a neutral forum for people to express their own experiences and opinions. I don't think it's something that TripAdvisor would do.

I've used Skiset twice, once in Selva and once in Arabba, and they've done the business for me - even when I'd booked skis for the wrong week rolling eyes. They even indulged my schoolboy German in Selva. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy wrote:
Never had an issue personally, but if you p155 off the owner of a large internet ski forum, I guess you don't get positive feedback.

Try Alpinresorts for similar discounts, and might even be the same shop. Binned my personal skiset codes now, so can't post them here.

I can also vouch for AlpinResorts even had no trouble when I needed to get a refund last year (though it probably helped that they weren't able to offer the shop I had booked for the same reason I needed a refund). I have also used Snowbrainer and been happy with them.
latest report
denfinella, they're great in there, you'll be fine. Just try to avoid the big stressy Greek if it's mental busy, haha!! They update their gear every year so it's always in great nick Happy
snow report
Thanks, that's reassuring. Hopefully no problems - it sound like the potential issue with Skiset is only if complications arrive. Looking forward to going... only 10 days to wait! Very Happy
snow conditions
used sk1set for the last 8 years in Vallandry, excellent service from them
latest report
had pretty much the same service with all of them tbh, and much the same price.

best service of all was a walk-in in Les Gets (Michaud Sports, for those that know it). Still same discounts. Just happened to be skiset franchise, but dealt with directly via the shop, rather than the central booking system (which is the bit I think admin has issues with).
snow conditions
I too have used them a few times and been happy. I think admins point is that you can't tell what the shop will be like and if it goes wrong they are not very helpful.
ski holidays
Skiset are just a marketing group/franchise for a pile of individual ski shops. So cr*p service in one shop does not mean cr*p service in another shop, equally excellent service in one shop does not mean excellent service in a different shop.

Much like another other similar groups: Spar, Skimium, etc....
snow conditions
tiffin wrote:
I too have used them a few times and been happy. I think admins point is that you can't tell what the shop will be like and if it goes wrong they are not very helpful.
I think he goes further than that - he's saying they are unhelpful as a matter of policy. The implication being that they've got your money and so they don't think it's worth their while to sort out any problems you might have with an individual hire shop.
snow report
The skiset shop that I was referring to (in the Jungfrau Region thread) is in Wengen. There's no way they'd get away with supplying duff equipment - they'd be closed down within a week. Customer service is a different matter I guess, but once again in a tiny village with a high percentage of returning guests, they won't last long if there's anything amiss.

It seems a shame to damn them all, and it does SH no credit to forcefully insert unwanted content into contributors' posts.

Admin?
snow report
denfinella wrote:
I've booked Economy skis from SkiSet as there was a particularly large discount. Does anyone know whether Economy will mean poor quality / uncomfortable equipment, or whether it's actually OK?

In general you will be getting cheaper skis/last seasons expensive skis.

They won't be bad per se and aren't going to ruin your holiday but personally I'd recommend paying more next time as at an intermediate level you'll be able to feel and benifit from the difference.
snow conditions
This thread seems to be turning into a pretty good ad for skiset, lol!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Copy/paste this if you don't want the site to edit your post automatically to point to a childish denigration of Skiset:

Code:
Ski[i][/i]set
ski holidays
Well to balance it out, with the honourable exception of Les Arcs 2000, I've think I've always had crappy equipment and unfriendly -> actively difficult service from skiset. I certainly wouldn't use them unless out of other choices. I sympathise with admin.

That said with power comes responsibility, perhaps it is time to let it go and just remove the fastword setup entirely from them so it links nowhere.....
ski holidays
Jeez.. I'm a little disappointed in Admin/SH for that sort of thing.. it's a little unprofessional IMHO.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef wrote:
Jeez.. I'm a little disappointed in Admin/SH for that sort of thing.. it's a little unprofessional IMHO.

Agreed

This forum is searchable as it is, so people can judge for themselves whether a company is one they wish to do business with.

As someone who has been very happy with the service from Ski set over the years and as a paid up contributor to SH, I don't want to associate myself with what appears to be SH sanctioned ski set bashing
ski holidays
Used them and got brand new equipment. Ordered online and got a good price. No complaints here.
snow conditions
I always use Alpine resorts now but as agw, says they, and the likes of sk1set, are only agents for the shops and it is the shops that provide good or bad service. I have only ever had an issue with intersport in ischgl - they had a very limited range of skis and it was more like a cattle market than any form of customer service.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
feef wrote:

Agreed

This forum is searchable as it is, so people can judge for themselves whether a company is one they wish to do business with.

As someone who has been very happy with the service from Ski set over the years and as a paid up contributor to SH, I don't want to associate myself with what appears to be SH sanctioned ski set bashing

I'd already cancelled my Super status for other reasons, but had I not, this would be a reason to do so.
snow report
feef wrote:

I'd already cancelled my Super status for other reasons, but had I not, this would be a reason to do so.

You still look like a 'Super-' from here Puzzled
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
feef wrote:

You still look like a 'Super-' from here Puzzled

It remains until the renewal date
snow report
feef wrote:

Agreed. Unprofessional, and spiteful. And definitely an abuse of authority. It's rather disappointing to see any company treated in such a way and, IMO, removes any form of impartiality of behalf of the owners of the site.
snow report
While I've never had a real issue with Skiset I'd like to speak (unprompted and unrequested) in defence of 'the management'.

This isn't the BBC, it's a private web site that the owners don't charge us to use and so can do more or less what they like.

They don't have some over-the-top "Use skiset, they eat babies!!!" message, just a strong suggestion you don't use them based on their personal, and clearly rather bitter experience. If you click on of the links you see an intersitital page that contains a link through to Skiset and I've never seen them kill off threads like this one or even participate in them in a forceful or agressivley anti-Skliset way.
ski holidays
Mjit, But a lot of us do pay to support the site, so feel our views should count.
snow conditions
If you like Ski set use them , if not don't. I have used them and they have been brilliant, and used them and been poor. I would use them again if the price was good.

Admin used to push business there way, and get SH a discount, but them had a experience which has changed his mind, you can still use them.
ski holidays
Dav wrote:
feef wrote:

Agreed. Unprofessional, and spiteful. And definitely an abuse of authority. It's rather disappointing to see any company treated in such a way and, IMO, removes any form of impartiality of behalf of the owners of the site.

But they [the site owners/operators] aren't professional; AIUI (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) Admin doesn't make a living off Snowheads - and makes no claim to being impartial. Therefore allowed to say precisely whatever he likes.

I don't see how it's any worse than, for example, the editor of a newspaper giving a bad review about somewhere and suggesting an alternative.

And to be fair at least the link gives you a discount code to use at another store...
snow conditions
bobmcstuff wrote:
Dav wrote:
feef wrote:

But they [the site owners/operators] aren't professional; AIUI (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) Admin doesn't make a living off Snowheads - and makes no claim to being impartial. Therefore allowed to say precisely whatever he likes.

I don't see how it's any worse than, for example, the editor of a newspaper giving a bad review about somewhere and suggesting an alternative.

And to be fair at least the link gives you a discount code to use at another store...

Yes and no. Snowheads is a community, a club even, and a statement like that will have the effect of implying it's the official feelings of the club or community. It's obvious from replies in this thread that that is not the case for many of us.

A far more professional method may have been to leave a sticky post in a relevant forum directing to the experiences of others, but to effectively 'hijack' our own content to promote the opinions and experience of one or a few is unfair. The way it works now is that even if I had excellent service from ski5et, I can't post about it on snowheads as any mention of them brings up that message.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy