Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Checking bindings settings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Now we've all had a sneaky look NehNeh , can someone please tell me, in what circumstances would someone ask for their toe and heel bindings to be set at different numbers?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
David Goldsmith, if Salomon provided the chart for the general public, and a member of the public chose to set his bindings up based on the chart, who do you think would be held responsible?

If someone misuses, misinterprets, or is careless with a chart it isn't the publisher of the chart's fault. If I use a Michelin tyre pressure chart in a garage and read it wrongly and have an accident I can't sue Michelin.

You can only sue a company in this situation if their negligence or recklessness has caused you damage.

My point is that it's simply patronising to the public to treat them as idiots, incapable of reading a chart. The real danger, as aired above, is that the technician makes an error and it can't be picked up by the customer later on ...

... maybe that's the real reason one can't get these charts - i.e. it actually has nothing to do with safety, it's simply considered better to keep the public in the dark.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maggi, some people set their bindings differently, if they find they come out of their heel piece more than the toe, then they may decide to increase the setting in the heel, or vice versa.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf wrote:
BrightonSki, Oh ho that will upset a few people Laughing Thanks wink

Hopefully it will also stop people asking about the settings on here too - now they have the info, they don't need to ask.

(But I suspect we'll get more of "The shop set my bindings to this, and they are wrong, cause it should be something else, do you agree with me")
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most people who have skied a bit know roughly what they should be on and may jack the things up or down a bit depending on conditions. If you are in deep stuff you may want to stop a pre-release and the forces are likely be greater etc. If you are playing around on piste and aren't going too crazy you can take them down a bit. This is quite useful on things like the paths back to the resort which might be very crowded and a fall at very slow speed with bindings jacked up can be the worst type you will make. for instance, I was skiing very slowly on a very congested path when a snowploughing person...- women , as it happens - skied past me faster than she wanted to go, hence the snowplough, and went right under my ski which dumped flat on my back. I was fumimg as the twisting motion could have blown my knee. The bindings would not have been able to cope at that slow speed so my knee would have taken the hit. I am not a fan of having the bindings up on full and for most skiing DIN 8 is enough. For lazy days I might drop down to 7-7.5 for the reason above. I can easily twist my boot out of the binding at that setting.

But you don't want to be doing this all day, every day, or at least I don't so a quick check-over in the morning when you buff over/wax the skis is the time to do this. IMV
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT you can't be serious about altering your binding to suit your mood/predicted skiing of the day?

What would have happened if the run before you got hit was an off piste one and you'd cranked your bindings up?

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh,

If I'm going somewhere which takes what I call commitment, I have straps, ties and bindings over DIN 8. We will have planned this the night before so its no problem to accomodate a a change of settings. It is very likely that I will not want to lose a ski through a pre-release in case it ends up at the bottom of a coulour or worst, a crevasse but ties aren't maybe what you want either, in case of getting caught in snow...close call here..!!

But if we are just pottering around and the consequences of a loose ski is a bit of a climb and thats it, I will take them down a notch and I do this because of the above. Thereason I was fuming is because I was on a high setting and this women caused the fall not me...!! I don't fall at those speeds like that but sometimes you have to be a bit prepared for other people.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And, if you only want the DIN chart:
http://www.salomoncertification.com/manuals/AdjustmentPoster05ENvWEB.pdf

About computerised systems, I'd be tempted to write a small application to compute DIN based on the Salomon chart if I ever get bored, but regarding the comments about who owuld be responsible in the case of injury, I think I might leave that project well alone Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to Edge2Edge yesterday to hire some kit and they gave me a DIN of 6.5 ... When I queried this on the basis that I may not be the lightest chick on the block, but I am not an elephant, either, and I had skiied quite happily on a 5 for a week in VT in December and only lost a ski after a pretty spectacular stack on a black, and that I valued my knees, he said "Yes, but you don't want to lose your skis on the turns" Puzzled

Followed by, "Well, you can always get them adjusted in resort" Shocked

Sorry, but wasn't I just paying him lots of cash so I can get out for 2 precious hours on the first day and DON'T have to faff about in resort? or b"gger up my knees?

Eventually, when the contract came through to the front desk, it said 6.5!

Not a happy snowHead ....

Got a bit arsey and said I wanted it at 5.5 and he came back saying "Well, i've put your ability level right down, so you should be all right now...."

Mmmm .... thinking should have hired in resort, despite faff and loss of ski time, and lack of chance to try out B2s, etc, etc...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiBod, What makes you so sure that you were not given the correct DIN setting at the shop here ?

Boot sole length makes quite a big difference, a smaller boot requires a higher value.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, Well, I've had the same boot (MON 299) for my last 5 trips, and my weight basically always stays the same.

To add further confusion to the story, on the last day in VT in December I decided to hire a different ski in resort, as the one I had taken out with me didn't seem v stable anymore. The fitter in the shop set the DIN at 4.5, and when I queried it as 1 DIN less than the skis I taken out with me, and wondered if it shouldn't be higher, he said no, that that was right and he couldn't alter them because of his insurance.

I then skiied quite happily on them all day at 4.5, and only lost one due to the big black stack, mentioned above.

So, in conclusion, it all seems to be a bit of an art rather than a science, which I find slightly worrying because I quite like my knees as they are and both pointing in the same direction. Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got back from 3 days in the Spanish Sierra Nevada. Ski hire shop took 4 pairs of skis off the rack, took a boot and fitted it. The DIN settings weren't even looked at, never mind changed.
For those that know Mr M and I... you'd probably agree that our settings shouldn't be the same...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Answer the orignal posting: Yes there is... www.dinsetting.com. No math or chart reading required. Just input your height, weight, age, ability, and boot sole length.

However, I would still recommend a torque test from a technician as a binding's tension can change over time due to wear and tear. I suggest using www.dinsetting.com only as a starting point.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a great chart on an excel doc so can't post in here (its got formulas) but any body wants in send me a PM with your e-mail and I'd be happy to mail it to you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, I've heard of guides cranking DIN settings right up to make sure that noone loses a ski.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy