Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Location Tracking Android App

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend an android ski app which when installed allows users to be added and group formed, so when someone gets lost and they will, it shows the approximate location on a piste map of that sad individual.

Specifically interested in Tignes!

Thanks in advance.
[/b]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Someone on another thread suggested maprika
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maprika needed data to locate people last time I tried it (couple of years ago). So it's ok if you have data roaming, or are in the uk, but that doesn't help most of us Brits if we're in the Alps...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anything that can locate others must use data to do so. There is no other way, unless you are within wi-fi range of the other phone.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On Three the normal data allowance works in the following countries at no extra cost.

Australia
Austria
Denmark
Hong Kong
Italy
Indonesia
Macau
Republic of Ireland
Sri Lanka
Sweden
USA.

It's called "Feel at Home".

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=obj(8216)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney wrote:
Anything that can locate others must use data to do so. There is no other way, unless you are within wi-fi range of the other phone.

Not true - it could use text messages.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skeg289, if you go to the Paradiski or 3V's instead, both their native Android apps track your friends' position on the piste map. It uses Facebook though, so obviously your friends will need an account and it needs data to message them. As far as I can tell, the Espace Killy doesn't have an equivalent native Android app.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
finestgreen wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Not reliably in real time, since there is no guarantee text messages will be delivered immediately (although I know they usually are).

And how would the receiving phone recognise that it was a message from that app?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney wrote:
finestgreen wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Not reliably in real time, since there is no guarantee text messages will be delivered immediately (although I know they usually are).

And how would the receiving phone recognise that it was a message from that app?

No guarantee, but then there's never a guarantee that you'll have a data connection. The message could be in a specific format the app can recognise with some kind of magic string.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

There's a still a cost with that, indeed the cost for 160 bytes of data (a text) is a lot more than that per kB of proper data. If you have inclusive roaming texts then you'll have inclusive roaming data. Our group uses two way radios - zipped up in a coat pocket with a "bouncer-style" covert earpiece.

An app showing dots (mates) is all very well (try the buddy function in ViewRanger with OpenPisteMap) but you'll find that you need to communicate with those "dots" somehow. If not, why would you want to know where they are? If you're joining to join them, you need to tell them to stay still, if they want to join you then the same happens. Cue texts or phone calls. The radios work great because it's "broadcast" i.e. all participants hear the chat at once; and they also help group skiing with directions/changes of plan/where are you? type conversations.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

No guarantee, but then there's never a guarantee that you'll have a data connection. The message could be in a specific format the app can recognise with some kind of magic string.

You'd need to send a stream of texts to each of the group as data changed. The cost would be horrific. The alternative would be to text a central service with an update of your location and receive a text with all your group's location. Fewer texts, but some sort of subscription would be needed - expensive too since it'd be sending international texts.

I don't know about others, but the incessant search for Wifi on holiday really irritates me. I've even had some of our group veto a restaurant because it didn't have free wifi - why anyone would need wifi over dinner is beyond me. iPhone users seem to be the worst (based on the small sample of our group).

Just pay for the data if you want it - it's not that much in the grand scheme of the holiday cost. I reckon there's a correlation: the more expensive the phone, the tighter the owner when it comes to paying for the data.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Loads of free wifi around several resorts now. Seems to work. Mostly at bottom stations of important lifts. Just means for tracking you can only check up on others there and see the last place they possibly went thru a key lift. tbh, I don't care exactly what piste others are on if not skiing with them. Agree a coffee stop or lunch stop and meet them there. Or maybe some take a black route and others the red, then meet at the bottom. If there's a problem, then phone/sms.

Quote:

Just pay for the data if you want it - it's not that much in the grand scheme of the holiday cost

£3 / day on several UK deals
€2 / day on mine
That's going to eat in to 2-4 beers from the drinking budget over a week, compared to a €1000 holiday.
(all within EU though, at least mine is, so turn data off in Switzerland!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy