Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walking up the hill to ski back down it...

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking I should start some rando/touring. I'm getting out on the mountain pretty well every day but I need to do more for fitness as I'm only skiing for 1-2 hours and spending a large proportion of that on lifts....

Is technique very important for Rando? If so I'm thinking I should get a lesson so I don't build up any terrible habits to start with or is it just a question of 'as long as you get up the hill you're doing it right' in which case I'll just hire the kit for a day and give it a go.

FWIW I have a lesson every couple of weeks for skiing just to keep pushing myself, I'm not adverse to paying someone to tell me I'm pants.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Technique is important for steep, icy kick turns but otherwise and for 90% of the time not really that important. Most people gravitate towards a good stride with practice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There really is little to it.

Skinning up is much like walking but keeping the skis on the snow can help brush the snow off.

Kick turns take a bit of getting used to. There are plenty of videos about to give you the idea. 10 minutes practice and you'll have it cracked.

Also see:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=107637
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both, hadn't thought about kick turns....I'm not very flexible in my hips or, erm, coordinated. Perhaps I'll just start off going straight up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You'll soon discover that your skins have a very limited grip!

You'd need to be on very mellow ground not to need a kick turn at some point. You can start by shuffling the skis round like the hands on a clock but you'll be very limited if you stick to that technique.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
altis, hmmmmnnn... I'll have a go in the back garden later then, at least the children will be amused.

Thanks again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can practice your kick turns on the stairs - without your skis of course!

Stand with both feet on one step looking at the wall. Pick up your 'uphill' foot and place it on the next step but pointing the other way. Lots of hip rotation required! Finally, pick up the downhill foot, unwind and put it down next to the other. Repeat with new foot.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Altis, I'll amuse the kids on the stairs before heading outside to amuse them by turning into a 'snowmum' then.

Thanks so much for the help and tips, they're very much appreciated.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis, you know what people will be doing in the their front rooms now don't you? Laughing I always think it looks a useful skill, but having just tried your instructions on a flat floor and then envisaged the first action with a length of ski attached behind the foot I am quite convinced I'd fall base over apex if I tried it with skis on Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd say the thing people forget is that ski-touring requires some mountain craft as you're away from pistes. The ability to read and understand a weather forecast, read a map, naviagte and have a good knowledge of snow all make a bg difference.

The actual skining up hill is the easy bit (despite the amount of people who have poor technique, the skis will glide, there's no need to lift it off the snow).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

and then envisaged the first action with a length of ski attached behind the foot I am quite convinced I'd fall base over apex if I tried it with skis on

It's actually quite simple (and easier with tech bindings than frame bindings). An elegent "kick" allows the ski to be pivoted easily.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
galpinos, I'm just going to be shooting* up the piste before first lift to start with as a way of getting exercise in during limited time before work but your point about mountain craft is well taken. I'm not going off piste this season without a well equipped local guide. I am slightly concerned about your introduction of the word 'elegant' though, I'll be happy (and slightly surprised) with functional Smile

*yes, shooting, not half bent over and puffing madly. I'm sure of this.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
galpinos wrote:

The actual skining up hill is the easy bit (despite the amount of people who have poor technique, the skis will glide, there's no need to lift it off the snow).

Have you seen the Dynafit videos on YouTube? A prime example of someone with poor technique. Donny Roth I think, a mountain guide too! Seems like the lack of oxygen has made him sounds like Donald Duck.

http://youtube.com/v/Pzo23gbQUrA
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just quickly then, what is good technique for skinning?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MeMyselfandI, the technical issue in that vid is that he picks his feet up with each step, which is not efficient. you should slide your skis along the surface
snow report
MeMyselfandI,
Sliding the tips of the skis rather than lifting the whole ski off the snow. Putting in a track that is not so steep that it knackers you out in a short space of time. Aim to get into a relaxed rhythm at a pace that suits you.

Edit Arno beat me to it.
ski holidays
I have issue with the absense of any wind while they're wrestling with their skins. Wink
snow report
The one with the least glue on his Goretex jacket and the least body hair on his skins wins.
snow report
MeMyselfandI, I just started touring in the last 2 years and have only done a few days but my top tip would be to go a lot slower than you think, the first time we went out we set off at a reasonable pace then were absolutely knackered. The second time I went out with a group of experienced tourers and they set a much slower pace which i was able to keep up with, it took me much longer to get to the absolutely knackered stage Wink
snow conditions
The question that causes endless confusion among stoners in a gondola: "I thought you were skinning up?!" Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy