Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski purchase advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing my first pair of skis and am just hoping for a bit of advice. I've had 14 weeks skiing and ski everything: lift-accessed off piste (sometimes a bit of hiking), on-piste and a bit of park.

My local ski shop still has the Salomon Rocker 2 90 which I've seen has got really good reviews.

The other skis I've looked at are the Atomic Panic, Atomic Theory, Salomon Q-90 & Q-98 and Nordica Soul Ride.

Just wondering if anyone has any preferences, or pros and cons of some of these skis.

I'm 189cm tall and weigh 90kg, 21 years old. Also going to be skiing in NZ from June-October so don't know if the different snow conditions out there would have an impact.

Thanks in advance! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Salomon Rocker 2 90 is a great all-mountain ski which will do you just fine. Given your weight see if they have a pair in the longest size (185) and try and negotiate a good price (it being last year's model). I think anything shorter than 185 will be too short for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Atomic Theories are a hell of a ski and are cracking value if you ask me, they handle well off on piste despite the width worth consideration for a one ski Quiver. The Q's as far as I'm aware replaced the Lords-again well reviewed. Only draw back would be if you spend a significant amount of time in the park there are maybe others to add to the list.

I'd not buy blind though, if you can get to a fridge try them all out, it's not a true test but you can get a feel and IME it all very horses for courses when it comes to selecting a ski.

ETA the rocker 2 90 you may over power by the sounds of it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grizwald, I'll try and get to Hemel or MK then, don't actually need to purchase until May. Why do you think I might overpower the salomon?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your post perked my interest so I googled them, what's 86Kg about 13 odd stone? You may actually be OK I just saw it came up a few times that due to them being soft they were best suited to lighter skiers. I've used a variety of twin tips on tips and the case is usually they chatter at high speeds on piste-but I do have a few stone on you!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
86kg is just under 13 and a half stone, probably (hopefully!) what I'll weigh by then. Oh okay, I'll look into that.

I think I want something between 90 and 100mm underfoot, and over 185cm in height. I skiied the Salomon Knight in Tignes last Christmas for half a week and found it far too narrow for the ridiculous thigh deep powder there was! Had to change up to a wider ski but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Wish I had done as I quite liked it. The Knight just didn't feel all that responsive and I didn't get out of it what I wanted.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lewisb22, I'm no gear expert but I'm a former instructor and despite being tall and hefty always favoured a narrower ski as a do it all ski-for your typical euro conditions that is to say I preferred something that was easier to manage on piste that could handle a bit of variable and off piste stuff than trucking around all day on a wider ski-each to their own. The tech is improving and with differing side cuts skis of 90, 100mm + these days handle surprisingly well.

I worked out in NZ, best way to describe it is like Scotland at higher altitude IMO. Prone to bad weather socking in and shuting things down, a bit like Scotland that way too Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grizwald, I can't say I've skiied in NZ or Scotland! Excited to be heading out there in the summer though (or winter, depending on how you want to say it).

I'm heading to La Ros/La Thuile in March and am renting the Rossignol Soul 7, solely based on its incredible reviews and my instructor pal saying it is awesome. Will be annoying if I fall in love with it as it's slightly out of my price bracket.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy