Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots and ski mid point

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just bought new boots, Salomon XPro 130 with custom insoles, to replace my trusty old Salomon Performa 8.0 Axe boots bought in 1998. Very pleased with the new boots although they haven't been used in anger yet. The old boots were size 28 but the new ones were 27. Snow & Rock checked whether I wanted to go down to 26.5 to get a closer fit but I decided that seeing I was a standard Brit skier and they had to be comfy for a whole week I'd stick with 27.

My skis are 2004/2005 Head Monster M75s and Snow and Rock adjusted the bindings for the new boots. Problem was the adjustment didn't allow the boots to match up with the ski mid point and the boot mid point is 5mm in front of it. S&R said they didn't see it being an issue and moving/redrilling the bindings wasn't necessary. They said that the boot position would be good for on piste but getting weight back whilst off piste might be a bit harder (makes sense). Is this mismatch, as they say, not worth worrying about? A friend suggested the skis were 'old hat' but, apart from being slightly heavier than 2014 skis with a bit less side cut, S&R still rated them. Apart from the cost of new skis I'd only like to do a full test of a selection of models if I replaced them. I did this when I got the Heads and the difference between different makes was quite noticeable. If I bought skis in the UK I'd always have that nagging doubt that there was a better model available.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just moved my bindings forward 20mm and found it to be no problem, apart from that it made turning switch smoother. On or off piste any other difference was only slight and hard to notice. Much prefer it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have my piste skis 10mm forwards and my off piste (twin tips) 30mm forwards of the traditional (rear) mounting point line. This works out to be about 60mm and 40mm back from true center respectively.

http://homeboyski.com/2008/03/01/how-to-decide-the-right-binding-mounting-point-on-todays-skis-especially-k2-boards/
http://www.skis.com/Best-Mounting-Point-for-Powder-Skis/blog-1-26-2013,default,pg.html

You will hardly notice 5mm forwards and if anything it will be better. Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the bindings are forward from recommended it's bringing the weight forward not back what is problematic, so you need a more neutral stance to prevent skis from over-rotating or getting face plants in powder. But 5mm won't make any noticeable difference either way including off-piste.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy