Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lidl

Poster: A snowHead
Must be nearly time for skiing, the first of the German supermarket ski deal weeks is here, kids stuff this time
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-4C8D18BC-4416F2C6/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?id=164
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got their thermal leggings and tops. They are brilliant
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are the thermals worth getting then never been in a lidls. Always a bit tempted to.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup the thermals are fine, though Aldi do kids Merino ones which my kids like better.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aldis is nearer, might have a look tomorrow, will need those soon
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Both Lidl and Aldi stuff is pretty good, got a few compression tops from both and they are easily equal to the Nike one I've got.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is Tchibo in the UK? There snow gear is available now in Germany & Switzerland

http://www.tchibo.de/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aldis ski stuff isn't in yet, I think someone posted they'd seen an ad in store saying it was first week in Dec
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Generally speaking Aldi stuff is a bit better than Lidl, but not always. Fantastic value. If you are buying for kids, who will grow out of stuff before it has a chance to get worn out, you can't go wrong.

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes as Chris Bish says we normally go for Aldi stuff as it is better though have a few bits from Lidl.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I spoke to an assistant in Aldi a few days ago who said the skiing stuff will stocked in the first week of December.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi..... Is the skiing stuff in Aldi / Lidl just thermals / clothes etc...

Are they ok or would you just recommend for children?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
theone, Well, they do thermals, clothes, ski gloves and also sometimes helmets. I've got some ski thermals from Aldi/Lidl (can't remember which!) and they are fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink, thank you. Just stocking up for the New Year holiday. Will keep an eye out in Aldi.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow chains in Lidl from Monday 25th £19.99
ski holidays
Tchibo have left UK, only seen in Germany.

Tesco sometimes do snow chains - picked up the Michelin kevlar type at £13 a set instead of £90+.
latest report
Lidl kit is pretty good, although obviously lacks brand appeal. The only thing I'd give a serious swerve to is the gloves which tend to look cheap and generic and the price differntial over say TK Maxx isn't really significant. Goggles etc usually particularly good value for the quality if you're not a brand whore as a spare etc.
snow conditions
The gear due in tomorrow is just the base layers etc I think? I'm looking out for the jackets/trousers and my little lad will probably need some new kit this winter. He had Lidl stuff last year and it's been excellent!

Cheers
snow report
Yep, knowing Lidl stuff will appear in dribs and drabs over tje next few weeks. As to Adult stuff I've got Aldi soft shell jacket and trousers that still going strong after 3 or 4 winters and a load of fridge skiing through the summers.
ski holidays
Disregard post.
snow report
fatbob, my Aldi gloves have kept me warm and dry through several weeks of skiing. I don't wear underglovea, and they've been effective down to -20C with a strong wind chill. Highly recommended.

I haven't expoaed them to rain yet, though - fortunately.
snow report
I'm not sure if I'm living in some sort of parallel universe. Having read all the reports of cheap, good quality ski gear available in both Aldi and Lidl I have made an effort to go into their stores. (New experience Very Happy ). All sorts of good, and crap, foods at excellent prices. The one thing I haven't seen is anything close to skiwear. No sort of clothing at all. In fact, just groceries and household stuff. Nothing else at all. Do you lot have different Aldi and Lidle stores around you?
snow report
foxtrotzulu, when did you go? It isn't during until today. In my local one in the middle towards the back there are some baskets which have non food stuff in (others are similar).
latest report
Timing is everything! The stuff comes in as a special buy on a specific date and then hangs around until it is all sold. If it doesn't all sell within a reasonable time (typically a couple of weeks) they quite often discount it below the already low prices.
Their sports kit (including ski) is generally a good midrange quality at a very low price. I've had running gear, merino base layers and bits of cycling kit and it is all OK. Various nephews have been kitted out head to toe in Aldi ski gear and it was fine. My current cycling overtrousers were from Lidl and are doing good service.

The fashionistas wont like it much because it has the wrong label and you'll bump into lots of others with similar kit but it is top class from a price/quality point of view.

foxtrotzulu, is spot on about the products on offer - a mix of top quality stuff and utter crap. Buy carefully and there are real bargains. I see from the paper that Aldi mince pies came top in a blind tasting at 1/8th of the price of Fortnum and Masons. Lidl were second
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu, that's because the offers are only starting to come in now. Kids gear first in Lidl, otjer stuff will follow over the next few weeks. Aldi stuff will start to appear from the start of next month.
snow report
Foxtrotzulu - the easiest way is the sign up for the Aldi and Lidl newsletters, so you know when things are coming in. And also be aware that some stores get very few of certain items, so you need to be prepared to get there early. I think our local had two medium size ski helmets at opening time on the first day of the ski offers last year.
latest report
NickyJ, DJL, davkt, sj1608, Thanks all, but I still feel I'm missing something. Maybe it's only the bigger Lidls that do non-food stuff. To be fair I did see two baskets with some tools in them, but that was as close to clothing as it got. I rather felt the chances of finding ski stuff was about as high as finding kangaroos, trolley jacks, cement mixers, spare trampoline covers etc. However, I will take your word for it and keep my fingers crossed.

At the risk of sounding a bit snobbish in my three visits to Lidl and Aldi I still haven't seen a single person who looked like they would have even heard of skiing or had ever been to France. Am I really in the right place?
snow report
foxtrotzulu, Food specials have taken up some of the non food specials area in my normal fairly small Lidl lately but they still have everything in. If you go to the website and tell it where you live it will tell you exactly what specials your local store will have (same for Aldi).
The other thing to remember is they will have a fixed level of stock, no resupply when it sold, some things hang around for weeks (particularly if you are XXXXL or XXXXS!) others can be sold out in literally minutes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu No, you're not missing anything!

I find the whole retail model they have quite odd, but it clearly works for them. ALL the stores do non-food. It's just very specific things, in limited quantity, at very specific times. There's no 'we'll have more stock next week....'. If you missed the boat, you missed the boat.

I suspect the quantities of things they get vary by area as well as store size (which may account for places where you're likely to find fewer skiers). And apart from the kangaroos, all the things in your list really DO arrive in Aldi/Lidl on some specific named-in-advance date and are gone in a flash. I bet that if you arrive on the appropriate day for ski gear, the store will be full of people who clearly know about skiing, and if you arrive on a 'tools' day it will be full of DIYers, etc.

It's worth signing up for the newsletters and suspending disbelief when you see the quality/value relationship. Personally, I find it far easier to watch out for a very limited range that I KNOW will arrive on a specific date in Aldi/Lidl than constant trips to TK Maxx never knowing if/when they will have what I want.
ski holidays
Just got the kids some base layers and socks at my local (leatherhead).
Appears that adult stuff will be in next week, including helmets and...
...*drumroll*...
... helmet cams!
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways,

What are the kids socks like - MrsM is on her way there as we speak.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu,

If you're going to the one in Newbury, that is tiny. Try the one in Reading on the Oxford Road, or there is another on the Basingstoke Road.
ski holidays
The socks look quite decent, just bought some socks, gloves, hats and boots for the girls.
snow report
There were kids helmets and googles in mine as well, but I have booked to hire helmets and I didn't have the girls with me to try any on them.
ski holidays
Foxtrotzulu, honestly we aren't kidding. New stock usually comes in on Thursdays and Mondays. This week looks like its tools, next week ski gear possibly, the following week could be Zimmer frames and wheelchairs Happy

It's a bizarre shop, it never seizes to amaze us. It makes food shopping quite fun when you see the array of other goods. BTW the gluhwein is ok too on a cold night at the rugby.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 21-11-13 15:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Mrs M back with socks, fleeces, thermals, snow boots etc etc etc, but no more reindeer chunks Sad
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Just got the kids some base layers and socks at my local (leatherhead).
Appears that adult stuff will be in next week, including helmets and...
...*drumroll*...
... helmet cams!

even better .....yellow kecks

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-BDCC6D45-DDB80C53/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=7858
snow report
Musher, they still got the kangaroo steaks?
snow conditions
musher, you're right. It was the Newbury shop. I tried Swindon which was bigger! but then so were the customers. It's all a new experience. I normally kerb crawl around Newbury Waitrose eyeing up the yummy mummies and trying to ignore the prices. In Swindon Lidl I salivated over the prices and tried desperately to ignore the other customers. I fear the human race may be doomed. Very Happy
snow report
foxtrotzulu,

All OAPs and Eastern Europeans in Lidl down here. You can tell the E.E.s as the are younger and look really fit (like the girls working in Waitrose).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy