Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

half term in Claveire + Montgenevre, what to expect

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Less than 3 weeks to go to our holiday in claviere, we're took the plunge and gone during half term, the price we've paid is crazy but thats done with now.
I'm just wondering what to expect regarding how crowded will it be. We asked the resort reps when we were there last year what is it like during half term, they said there's little difference and that it doesn't get crowded at all, I'm wondering if they were saying this just to not put us off booking into their place again.

We spend the morning having lessons in Clav then after lunch ski over to Montgenevre and spend a few hours there before heading back to base.

anyone have any experience of what it really is like??

thanks for any help
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
howster wrote:
Hi,

Less than 3 weeks to go to our holiday in claviere, we're took the plunge and gone during half term, the price we've paid is crazy but thats done with now.

i bet you the pice you paid is less crazy than what we paid for Zermatt
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not been to Claviere at half-term, but, as an ex-teacher did year after year of half terms in places like 3V, Val d'Isere, Sella Ronda etc. Yes, it will be busier, but not impossibly so. There are always places where you can get away from the crowds, and in France and Italy there is always a quiet spell at lunch time.

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Claviere is that small that they simply don't have the bed capacity to make it overly crowded at any point during the season. Montgenevre will be busier.

So, morning skiing in Claviere will be same as usual, but then you'll get more people coming through the resort from mid morning onwards as they do the whole ski the Via Lattea thing.

Great snow there this year though... enjoy! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeh the conditions are fantastic, lots of fresh snow with more forecast!!! snowHead

thanks for your replies
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We had New Years there (based Montgenevre and skied over to Claviere lots) and there wasnt an issue at all - lots of lifts were just ski straight on Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Montgenevre should not be too bad - busier at weekends with day trippers. During the week will be busy but there should be no real big waits for lifts. Nice resort - really enjoyed it there - first ski holiday so a bit of a soft spot for it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've stayed at Montgenevre in half term before - with 4 kids.... It's fine. - yes busier than other weeks, but not a problem. We've booked in again for half term this year too! Very much looking forward to it and nice to hear the snow is good at the moment as generally the Alps have had a patchy season so far from what I hear..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
it wont get busy for too long, been there several times and its great

easy to do the italian milky way,and montgenevre is big enough too

take time to look at the ski shops - last year they had this outrageously expensive ski jacket that the wife took a liking too ( about 800 euros!)
ha ha - Claviere has to be one of the smallest places i have been to for resort shops noway were they ever going to sell that jacket.

claviere is a lot cheaper than monty for food / drink so well worth lookng around

we found a good priced bar just pasth the church on the opposite side ( up some small steps in from of a small hotel

also remmeber that if you cut in where the chgurch is you can ski to the l;ifts - beats walking with skis

great chocolate at a good price in the golf club bar just below the border post
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Two things you must do
1. Have lunch at La Coche (bottom of 44 lift)
2. Have a Hot chocolate with rum at the Rifugio Gimont (just by the the bottom of 42 & 43 lift)

Have a great time

Your plan to have lunch in the Claviere side sounds good. I didn't find the lunch stops in Monty as appealing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're there (but staying in Sestriere) for the same period, wave if you see me!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all,

thanks for your replies and suggestions. Lunch/beer at La Coche is on our to do list, as is beer at most of the mountain bars!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is DINNER at La Coche!! Book in by phoning Gabriella on 0039 0122 87 86 29. They pick you up at 7.30 ish ouside the Claviere Ski School building in snow motorbikes, whizz you up the hull, and give you 12 courses wine and grolle for a fair price...a daft night out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
howster, being in lessons for the morning should help a lot - presumably instructed groups get lift priority, as they do in France?

In France I'd advise having a quick snack then skiing through the lunch hour, when the French are crammed into the restaurants, but maybe that's not necessary in the less busy italian resorts.

Have fun. Don't forget a trip report! snowHead
snow conditions
pam w, from past experience of Claviere (this is our 3rd time) there is defintely no priority given to group lessons on the lift, but being English i dont mind queuing and waiting my turn, as long as everyone else doesn't mind waiting their turn.

ibendzeeknees, i was just trying to be posh saying lunch, where i come from we have breakfast dinner and tea.

we were offered the La Coche meal last year but didn't take them up on it, mainly because my girlfriend and son are fussy eaters and we thought/were told its mainly cheese they serve. I really fancied going but got out voted. some people from our hotel went and had a great night, and bad heads in the morning!!

please can you tell me a bit more about the night, in particular the food they serve for TEA

thanks all
ski holidays
howster, that's interesting. I wonder if it's usual in italy? More democratic? In France the usual form seems to be that there is a separate lift entrance for instructed groups, who then get on alternatively with regular punters. In the case of small kids they are all put on beside an adult.
snow report
Any time we've skied in Claviere (a few times) ski school have always had priority and we've had to take wee kids up with us when needed.

Heading back first week of March, can't wait! Very Happy
snow report
i've never noticed any form of priority on lifts, even for the small kids, they are given some help getting on etc i've even had a couple of young kids, say 5 years old, ride with me on a chair lift with me looking after them, but no separate queue as such.

maube i'm just missing the obvious and queuing up politely, but uneccassarily, like a good english boy Confused

we're there soon and can't wait, conditions are great and our hotel (Grande Clav) is back getting good reviews!!
latest report
stayed at grand claviere last year and really enjoyed it. Young staff were pretty good. food excellent for what it is. free beer from 4 pm........
ski holidays
Howster...the nosh for 'tea'...whatever that is...isn't it a drink??!!...you get unlimited vino, and nosh which could be canapés, (I know that's French!), pizza slices, sausages, deer/pork/lamb, blah blah. This is not cordon blue cooking, and if there is a criticism, there is so much nosh you could do with asking what you're going to get so that you don't stuff yourself too early on. There is no way that it is all cheese. Gabriella is a delightful person who speaks good English. Mention me...real name is Andy.
ski holidays
Andy,

thanks for clearing that up, it sounds like my kind of dinner/tea/whatever, loads of meat!! Think i'll book us on it this year.

Yes tea is a drink, its also a meal, the one a few hours after dinner and a few hours before supper.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy