Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swoolen Knee 10 months after op

Poster: A snowHead
My skiing was ok, but this year i had a basi ski instructor trying to get my technique better, but because when i went a bit faster the vibrstion through my knee was too much, hence slow and more turns and more stress on the knee, tried like heck to use the skis more but i felt hsndicapped.
After the third day i realised i would not be going skiing again this season ....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What skis were you using? When coming back from my TPF I quickly discovered that I was much more comfortable on race stock GS skis. They are relatively heavy, straight and stiff, but I could cruise around on them wighout much effort and the very smooth ride eliminated precisely the problem you describe. By sticking to wide pistes I could keep the speed down by making long rounded turns.

M
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seeing the physio today and hopefully a workout routine, as soon as i can im starting at the chill factor as well for training through the year
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hyperkub, good point. I recall yorkshirelad first went on softer skis at Chill Factore. My skis are pretty heavy and I like them for the reason you describe. In fact for my next trip I am borowign my firend's skis which ae even heavier!

yorkshirelad, Good luck with the programme.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Completely agree with hyperkuband holidayloverxx . I normally ski with Head all mountain skis or the heavier Salomon Enduro but since my knee problem in Nov (arthritis and no cartilage ) I only ski with Head Super Shape racing skis and the difference (which I would hardly notice with a normal knee) is amazing ! In fact after 8 weeks of knee strengthening exercises I tried the all mountain skis again for the first time this morning to see if I could now ski in them. I did one run ok but decided to change them for the racing skis as I felt it was still putting too much strain on the knee. I will now stick with the racing skis until my op.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used the enduro rockers....going to stick with my x wings for next season though

Physio now having me build the muscles up plus still wants me at the ski dome regularly which is fine by me
Re gym work..no running...no horizontal leg presses...any knee raises must have very low weights on...so its cycling and squats n lunges...oh joy !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yorkshirelad, sounds about right but you'll be able toadd more incrementally. I couldn't run if I tried...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, i was starting to run just before i went skiing..felt very strange, as certain muscles were not there any more lol...

today the knee feels like it did before i went skiing three weeks ago, soooo tempted to go again in march but i know i must resist !!

ski buddies in Selva at the moment then some going to chamonix this weekend as well Sad oh i wish i could turn back time !!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yorkshirelad, you may not have to resist - you can do a lot in 6 weeks! It took me 3 weeks to recover after my 1st trip - Val d'Isere early December - and only a few days after my 3rd - Flachau 6 weeks later
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yorkshirelad, Good luck with it.

If you are skiing the dome regularly and building up your strength an 'easy' trip could be OK ? With regard to ski's, I used my 'cheat' GS ski's with an easy (17m side cut) rather than wider the off piste\rockered jobs that might need more leg rotation \ pivoting to work.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, im going to see how it is in a month, if alls well i might sneak a week away again, but i really want to ski hard and fast, which i cant do at the moment due to vibration through the joinr ;-( .....never say never !! wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yorkshirelad, good luck - I think the right skis might help; I don't think I get vibration through the joint with my heavy thin skis, but the brace might be protecting against it
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yorkshirelad, my knee twinged a bit today, more than once. And every time it did, my technique was rubbish. It's a bit swollen and stiff tonight, but nothing drastic (must remember to take an Ibuprofen). I am fairly convinced that if I'd been skiing well all day my knee would be absolutely fine. I'm not decrying strength training, but unless your technique is 100% (and, of course, maybe it is, unlike mine) that's also something to concentrate on. Skiing even a bit in the back seat is horribly bad for knees.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, my technique was great in the morning, but as the day went on the knee started to grumble, it just got worse, once i stopped skiing the swelling came up, but no pain, then it became very tight and did not want to bend.
At the moment my knee feels like it did in october, so ive regressed quite a bit....so i think going again in march may not be a good thing, especailly when physio says no as well ..
Enjoy your skiing and give the knee a good massage in a morning..it helps
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

At the moment my knee feels like it did in october, so ive regressed quite a bit....so i think going again in march may not be a good thing, especailly when physio says no as well ..

Sad what a shame, after all your hard work.
latest report
yorkshirelad, yes, a shame - just not strong enough yet Sad
latest report
Have started at the gym now with a program that i could not do before i went skiing....first session today and the difference between good leg and damaged one is sooo far...
Im getting there....roll on next season Smile
ski holidays
yorkshirelad, does that mean you just work on the bad leg, to reduce the disparity? I was told by a physio that my left leg (the bad knee) was weaker, and that I should try to even them up, but never really have done that - I tend to do all exercises symmetrically. Maybe I shouldn't?
snow report
pam w, no definitely stick with symmetrical. I ended up concentrating so much on my bad leg I ended up with that one stronger in some aspects than the good leg Embarassed .
snow report
NickyJ, Yes got to work on both.

yorkshirelad, The difference will be noticeable but if you are doing exercises you couldn't do before then that's great. I've just managed. this week after being told to do them in November, to be able to do side lunges, Sumo squats with 16kg after barely managing 8 a few weeks ago, leg press 57.5kg when I struggled with 30kg after my first trip. I think you'll surprise yourself with progress if you are going to the gym several times a week. The trick is to keep making it harder. No sooner do I manage to do something than my badass physio throws in a new twist - sumo squats with 16kg? If you say so...do it on the trampette!
latest report
Ive not to do leg presses or running. Even leg lifts on the machine have to be done with minimum weights, after a bit of that the joint ached.
Im doing both legs, but pushing my ankle forward against any force is nearly impossible....and hurts the joint so have to be carefull and do other excersizes to compensate...its hard.
It seems very easy to agrevate the joint..cycling is still best thing
snow conditions
yorkshirelad, my physio doesn't advocate leg lifts (the thing where you put your legs under a roller?) so I don't so them. You'll get to do the harder stuff when your knee is ready....
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, exactly what my physio said, but i had to try it to see what the difference between the legs was...it was vast..left leg as weak as a puppy.
the more i think about it the more i'm amazed i could ski last month,.. Smile
ski holidays
yorkshirelad, see, you did well! Very Happy
snow report
I'm 18 month post-ACL reconstruction in my left knee (which I think is less dramatic than the tibia break you guys are recovering from) and I know that that leg is still weaker than the other one. I was fortunate to have a very pain-free experience, which meant my left leg never nagged me to get off my lazy bum and help it. In my everyday life and when hiking, I don't notice the difference but, when I started cycling up the Col in the autumn, my RIGHT thigh felt the burn more quickly and more severely, suggesting I was over-reliant on my "good" leg. I've had a few private ski lessons recently and my technique has definitely sharpened up but I can tell there is still a weakness on the left side. I did 3 days of off piste skiing Mon-Wed this week and yesterday when I woke up the muscles below my left knee were a little tender (no swelling thankfully and they were fine by the evening) but I have been slack with the strength training and I realise I'd be foolhardy to ignore that now that I'm pushing myself more on the slopes. I am going to use the next few weeks of school holidays as an opportunity to focus on balance and strength in my left leg off the slopes. If any of you guys have any recommendations of what's really worked for you, would love to hear them. I think Jonathan Bell has something on a Facebook page I might search around for too.
snow report
miranda, miranda, The exercise programme is on Wimbledon Clinics Facebook page - I can't link becuase I can';t get FB at work. It's hard (but effective) work!
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, great, thanks - I'm going to start today!
snow report
miranda, Good luck with the side planks, suno squats with weights and other sadistic tortures!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
sadistic tortures!

Shocked

Might have a nice cup of tea first, before I'm brave enough to look!
latest report
We'll...having had intense gym work since January ski trip my knee is in superb shape...but wife won't let me go skiing till December ..oh we'll at least all the pain and sweat is worth it...I'm told anyway...those vibrating plates really get to the parts other excersizes don't reach..
So Wednesday I'm at the chill factor ...trying to go throughout the year !!
ski holidays
yorkshirelad, excellent news. You will be a ski god next season
ski holidays
so after all i've going through to get sorted, it turns out the way i have been walking do to favouring my other leg etc. i now have mortons nerve neuroma in my left foot...so injections friday !!!! next thing i wonder ??
snow conditions
yorkshirelad, Oh dear Sad It's so easy to favour the other leg when tired or in a hurry. I get told off by everyone
snow report
I still limp but don't know why !!!
latest report
back in chill factor wednesday to see if injections are having any effect
latest report
yorkshirelad, hope the injections help.

Re the limp...I limp a bit in high heels but try not to. In flats I'm generally OK. You may need your physio to check your gait.
snow report
One thing I noticed. ..it's been 1 year and 1 week since my injury. My physio told me it would take a year to feel "right". It doesn't feel right but it was if a switch was flipped last week. My movement and strength suddenly felt more normal, I found I could run (well, trot) a bit and I did the hardest gym session I could have imagined.

He did say a while back that if I hadn't seen significant improvement by the early summer then it was unlikely to ever feel right. I am confident that the next 6 months should get me there. If it doesn't then I will have to resign myself to the legacy... .but to give myself the best chance I plan to keep up the weekly physio sessions.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, i dont get that problem in my high heels.. Smile My physio said that by December it will be as good as it will ever get,!!!
said it will never be 100% but skiing will be enjoyable and not far off how i used to ski ( skiing hard at the dome already, not far from how i can /used to ski)
Still not allowed to run, still not allowed to do weights on the ankle lifts..only straight leg weights and cycling, the leg is fine apart from having very little strength 'lifting' the ankle with any weight at all !! squatting on the knee still proves difficult as after a short time doing squats the knee grumbles like heck Madeye-Smiley
sometimes i'm sure i can feel the bracket moving .. rolling eyes
latest report
yorkshirelad, bracket moving Shocked

Interesting that you can ski hard, but at a dome is much different (as you've found) to skiing a mountain becuase of the short runs. I skied 24 days this season, harder, faster and gnarlier than ever before - couldn't have done it without the intensive exercise programme and the giant knee brace because of the legacy MCL damage. Physio thought I might be able to build enough muscle to supprt the MCL for sport but we've come to the conclusion that it'll never be strong enough so the brace is a permanent feature.

I have no idea whether I can lift weights with my ankle - my physio doesn't advocate it. My programme is all about squats, lunges and leg presses - now onto single leg which put a lot of strain on the muscles. Unles you do those sort of exercises I think it would be hard to get leg stregth back - I've got glutes of steel and my left leg is like a footballers! I do single leg squats on the TRX straps standing on the bosu ball, single leg hack series lunges, single leg McConnell wall squats, single leg Romanian deadlift, single leg presses (not very good at that yet - not much range at only 15kg), single leg heel lift on the leg press, side planks, crab walking with resistance band, sumo squats with 16kg weight, plus interval resistance training on the bike - plus stabilty work e.g. bridges on the gym ball. I never thought I'd be able to do this sort of exercise pre-injury never mind now - it's been a hard slog and I've had days when I could barely walk, but slowly but surely I've become stronger. If my knee feels stiff or a like it might struggle witht the exercise I take an ibuprofen and co-codamol cocktail in advance - as long as my knee doesn't swell then I'm not doing any damage (it doesn't swell - even when I fell off my bike on Saturday and landed heavily on my knee Embarassed )

Do you think a different physio might be able to move you forward?
ski holidays
update Time
Knee pretty good now, had a few lessons at the chillfactore to get me skiing differently so that i don't put as much stress on the knee. This works well, as i can do two hours at the dome hard skiing with no problem, however my coach 'let' me ski like i used to and it's taken 4 weeks for the knee to get back to being ok...!! lesson learned ? don't ski how i used to...followed by 27 holes of golf....
Still have slight issue with strength in certain muscles, cycling causes no problem, but trying to lift anything with my lower leg using the quads still not comfortable, i'm still of the opinion that the bracket needs to come out. still use Arnica when it starts to ache and if i stop using Glucose conjoitin i notice the difference after about 5 days....still not sure wether to book a ski trip for december ..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy