Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Puy St Vincent - tell me it will be ok!

Poster: A snowHead
Please can someone tell me we have not gone totally mad and that driving to Puy St Vincent with three kids age 7, 5 and 3 years will not be the end of me!! I wanted to fly but Mr Potter thought driving would be an adventure??!!! We only just sorted it over the weekend and we can't get the Eurotunnel booking we wanted, so plan is to drive the whole thing from Calais in one day....it will be a looooonnnnggg day I know! (We go the second week of March). Coming back, we are a bit more sorted in terms of times etc but if anyone has ANY pearls of wisdom, PLEASE pass them on. Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pottercs2010, we drive to Serre Chevalier often, which is just up the road from PSV. It will be a very long day, but why can't you get a decent time for your Eurotunnel? Where are you travelling from in the UK? We are also going the second week in March, and had no problem with our chosen crossing time. We have an overnight stop in France planned.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were hoping to get the kids from school and drive straight to Folkstone and get on a 10pm crossing and then do a bit of a drive before stopping at a hotel. The crossing latest crossing that night is 9.20pm can't guarantee we will get there earlier etc with Friday night traffic etc (we are near Exeter). Thanks for the help, we will be more organised next year!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pottercs2010, there are two later departures on Friday 7 March, if that is when you are travelling.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are sharing the driving, with kids that young I'd be looking to drive down, cross as soon as possible, then drive all night with them asleep.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah. I see. There are crossing advertised on the website for Friday 7th March for 22.32 and 23.48. Are they no good for you?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, we are travelling 7th March. I have clearly gone mad...where are you looking Pam W... the latest one I can see is 9.20pm?? Thank you!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pottercs2010, last column on the right on the 7th March list of trains between 22.00 and 0.00

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 26-01-14 20:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pottercs2010, just look in the next time slot - 10pm - midnight. Departures at 2232 and 2348.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you so much! It is just so weird as over the weekend, that time said sold and you could not book it. Brilliant, thank you, feeling so much happier! Next question...does you know anywhere good to stay that takes 5 in a room (!) to break up the journey overnight?? Guessing we will drive for a few hours but think we will be knackered if we try and drive all night and then deal with the boys all the next day!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pottercs2010, don't drive for too long, don't forget there is a +1 hour time difference, so it will be nearly midnight when you arrive in France. I think B&B hotels have some rooms which sleep 5. Even if not, your two younger ones may be small enough to share. Maybe ask in another new thread? There's a few people on here with 3 children who drive to the Alps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
also look at Logis de France site. TRaditional French hotels which usually have family rooms and will put in extra beds if necessary. Just choose one close to your route.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We drive from Rotterdam to garmisch each year. Something like 560 miles and a Touch over 10 hours with three kids. They're bit older now 11, 9 and 7 but in previous years have relied upon DVD players, books, iPads, two planned stops and at least one emergency toilet stop!!

It's never been as bad as feared and we try to look at it as part of the holiday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have driven to pay st Vincent with 2 3 year olds and a teenager. Set off on the midnight (ish) tunnel and drove with quite a Few coffee snack stops. Because of the time we travelled the 3 year olds slept for a good few hours and when the woke after breakfast and bathroom stops they were kept entertained in the DVD player and ds as well as crayons and lots of paper. It did seem daunting at the time but was quiet an easy drive to be honest. Hope you enjoy xxxx
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Took the kids once on a 750 miles to South of France but that was in the Summer. The kids still hate me.

The trip will be normal if you got snow tyres, snow chains or AWD. Put St Vincent isn't too bad but it is about at mid level so some uphill mountain passes especially if you try the shorter route like I did. If your car can make it to Briancon then the rest is not much a challenge.

Put St Vincent got a large town centre with plenty of "paid" parking so you can expect they'll keep the road clear of snow for your business.
ski holidays
I think from Exeter it would be a long way to go without an overnight stop. I'd recommend stopping at a Novotel in France. They have rooms sleeping 4 and are ideal for families. Hopefully you could squeeze the 3rd child in the room somehow! If not maybe you could get two cheaper rooms in an Ibis.

Is there any chance you could take the children out of school on the Friday to leave earlier and stop earlier for the night?

The journey up the mountain to Puy St Vincent is not too bad as others have said. It is a lovely resort for families. We took our children for their first ski holiday there and went by train that time.
snow conditions
We were in Puy St Vincent just over a week ago, it was our fourth time driving there. We have 2 children, aged 6 & 3. The first time we drove via the Col de Lauteret, but every time since we have driven via the Frejus Tunnel as you can get closer to Briancon on decent roads which we found quicker and less 'sick inducing' in the children than the Col (which could also be closed if the weather is bad).

We always overnight it both ways in a Novotel (room for 4), but ibis Budget (Etap) do cheaper rooms for 3 (double with single bunk over)....
The service area 'Aire de Jurgy' (A6 southbound, between J26 and J27 near Tournus) has a fabulous play area with all the equipment and playhouses made out of mushrooms, the kids will love it and it is well worth a stop there on the way down to let off steam.

Enjoy Puy, it's a great place.
latest report
Quote:

which could also be closed if the weather is bad)

The Col was closed last week when i drove to Les2Alpes, and when I left yesterday - not that the weather was particularly bad. Important to check.
snow report
Hi pottercs2010,

We got back from Puy yesterday afternoon - conditions are fantastic!

Despite flying this year, we have driven there with 2 kids for the last three years. We drive down in one go, leaving Calais at about 7pm and arriving in Puy, via a Supermarket shop in the valley, at lunchtime. It's a long slog but fine with two drivers. But - allow for the unexpected.
The first year we went in March, we had heavy snow the night before leaving Puy. By the time we had dug the car out, the road down the mountain was clear but the Col was closed and we were advised to go via Gap. This added about an hour to the journey.
The second year (March again) was so hot the roads were not a problem.
Last year in January, we had snow all the way through France, Col was closed, we needed snowchains to get to Gap and snowchains again to get up to Puy, all the way from the valley. We had to dig ourselves a parking space on arrival in what we hoped was part of the carpark (which is mostly free by the way) Skiing was amazing snowHead

Despite last years nightmare journey we were all set to drive again until we were offered flights we couldn't refuse. We would have needed snowchains for the final approach to Puy, judging by the cars coming in the opposite direction as we climbed the mountain by coach but it had been snowing for two days.

As for keeping the kids entertained on the journey, ours sleep most of the way until it gets interesting in the mountains, and they sleep most of the way back because they are thoroughly worn out after a weeks skiing and Snowbizzing.

Have fun snowHead
latest report
Quote:

We had to dig ourselves a parking space on arrival in what we hoped was part of the carpark

Laughing not a holiday for wimps, is it?
snow conditions
pottercs2010, as someone who has been driving regularly with 3 kids to Les Arcs - it will be ok and you'll wonder why you ever flew! Ours were Nearly 2 (twins) and 3-months when we started and are now 13,13, 11

In terms of hotels - as has been said, start with Logis de France they are very good at putting in an extra bed in family rooms, drop them an email and ask. We have regularly used Les Charmilles in Lux (chalon-sur-Saone) on way down and they have a huge family room with 2-doubles and 1-single, also an apartment with 3 singles and double. Way back, Val Moret just south of Troyes a regular.

In terms of the journey - things which we have found useful

Audio Books - Harry Potter, Famous Five, Horrid Henry and Life of Humphrey (Hamster in US school), we didn't do DVD as found that made the car sick ones worse!
Make sure they all ahve a drink (water) to keep hydrated
Have a supply of snacks in the car
Have a rubbish bag to hand - empty it at each stop
Rags, wet wipes etc for as needed
A bowl of some sort just in case anyone is sick
Stop every 2-hours or so, if only for a 5-minute leg stretch and make sure everyone goes to loo whether they want to or not
Note that many of the smaller aires will have very basic hole in ground loos so aim for larger ones
larger ones often have loos and snack bar in petrol station so can be quicker than going into main building
don't stop for lunch at 12 as everyone else does - eat early or late
our kids hate the sarnies available in service stations, but is easy to buy fresh bread and cold meat cheese in services so we make our own sarnies

Hope some of that helps - feel free to ask or PM me any questions
latest report
You guys are great - so positive...thank you!! Will show this to my husband later as we are still in a dither as to what to do re stopping and staying in a hotel or just driving through the night. In a nutshell we get to Calais at midnight (now in French time!), so options are to drive to Reims (or there abouts) and book into a hotel and get some proper kip or just drive on through the pair of us swopping/sleeping. On a plus note my husband can sleep anywhere and through anything. I think I will be totally wired and be unable to sleep/relax until I am in Puy with a large glass of wine in my hand, so am loathed to fork out for a hotel to just stare at the ceiling for a few hours!! Or are we bonkers to just keep on driving???!!

We deadly love to hear what you would do/have done.

Thank you SO much again - all of you!
snow conditions
I've never wanted to drive through the night, I don't think it is particularly safe to drive for what will be a total of 13-14 hours even with the driving shared. And don't forget you may not be able to get into your accommodation until mid-afternoon.
snow report
pottercs2010, Are you sure you need to drive to Reims after arriving on Calais at midnight? Reim's 170 miles further, so you would not be there before 02:30 hrs. I suppose it all depends what time you have to be in PSV by.
From Calais it's 'only' 650 miles to PSV, you should be able to knock that off in 10 or 11 hours, even with a few stops. Shocked
snow conditions
Like everyone above I think driving with kids is by far the easiest option, fighting my way through Chambery, 2 toddlers, suitcases, hand luggage, boot bags and 4 pairs of skis is something I never want to repeat.

But I would caution against driving through the night, we did it once and would never do it again. The chances of an accident are just too high IMHO, unless you are used to staying up all night.

I would suggest you get a hotel as soon as you get to Calais, you can then have a full nights sleep and be rested for the drive down the next day. Its about 9-10 hours to your destination and if you leave at 7 the next morning its an easy ride down.

Campanile group do family rooms, but I would book early because the weekend you are going can be busy.
snow conditions
FraserP, I was thinking stopping sooner would be better.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
FraserP, I was thinking stopping sooner would be better.
I was thinking stopping in Calais might be an idea. The real issue may be, what time they need to be in PSV.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 27-01-14 21:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
+ another for stopping straightaway in Calais and then making an early start, or to go that tiny bit further Arras but not Reims. Ibis budget (ex Etap) have rooms for three and they are sometimes so cheap you could get two if you are struggling to find rooms for 5.

To add to Boris' list:
1 toilet roll and use the disabled loos at the Aires, at least they have an actual toilet rather than just the hole spoo
1 peg for the nose when visiting the Aire loos Laughing

Good luck snowHead We enjoy the journey Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At Feb half term, we have 00:30 start and 821 miles from darkest Essex! That's 735 miles from Calais. By the time you add in the tunnel, and the odd stop , it's a 17 hr trip at best! Piece of cake ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
FraserP, you leave from Essex at half past midnight?
snow conditions
Quote:

I would suggest you get a hotel as soon as you get to Calais

I agree. It's 2.5 hours to Reims (if you drive legally) and it always seems a long way.
ski holidays
ONe of the Ibis hotels in Calais has some interconnecting rooms which could be suitable for 5. I think it is the Calais ferry one, but Eurotunnel one might have them too.
snow report
Hotel Golf on Calais Plage will put a camp bed in room for 4 - for late arrivals they test you the code and you just let yourself in.

Rooms are a bit tired but clean - really is just an overnight stop place
snow report
sarah wrote:
FraserP, you leave from Essex at half past midnight?
The car will be packed on Friday and then the plan is to all have an early night, and get maybe 4 or 5 hrs kip, then on our way after midnight. Even it this slips an hour, that will not be an issue. The kids will be fine, once in the car they'll sleep or doze off.

We are travelling to Flachau and that is a minimum of 11 hrs driving from Calais. Even getting to Munich has taken us 13 hours on our previous two trips and Flachau is 2 hours further! So we normally travel on Friday and stop-over in Munich.

The intention is to arrive in Flachau early Saturday evening and be ready for skiing on the Sunday. However, should the journey be problematical, an overnight in Munich may still be on the cards and we then complete the journey Sunday morning.
snow conditions
Quote:

However, should the journey be problematical, an overnight in Munich may still be on the cards and we then complete the journey Sunday morning

It's good to set off with this kind of flexibility in mind - I do sometimes drive overnight but it all depends - sometimes I feel good, sometimes I don't, and I certainly wouldn't drive overnight in fog. I have vivid memories of an overnight coach trip in icy and foggy conditions, passing (at a very sensible, steady, speed) a load of bad accidents with flashing lights and twisted metal. The coach screens were showing "Edward Scissorhands" and the whole journey was surreal. We had to stop before Bourg St Maurice to put chains on and it took them forever.

Travelling at half term it obviously makes sense to book a hotel for Friday night, if you plan early morning assault on the summit at the crack of dawn on Saturday, but I don't travel on peak days and wouldn't want to feel constrained to drive in dangerous conditions just to reach a pre-determined stopping place.

I do make a point of stopping every two hours - and probably more often towards the end of the journey, when I'm tired, as well as dropping my speed to allow a bit more thinking time. But I am the only driver - with two of three drivers it's de gateau. wink
latest report
I did a couple of overnight drives - never again.

What we ended up doing when the kids were young at Feb half term was to leave the resort at say 5 pm on the Friday, drive for 4 or 5 hours , stay overnight and up early and off to Calais. That way we avoided horrific queues to get off the mountain and at the peage on the autoroutes on the Sat/Sun.
ski holidays
Quote:

What we ended up doing when the kids were young at Feb half term was to leave the resort at say 5 pm on the Friday, drive for 4 or 5 hours , stay overnight and up early and off to Calais.

alltnaha, I noticed a lot of departures on the Friday evening at the end of the New Year week - I suspect a lot of people are discovering that that makes good sense.
ski holidays
pam w, which is what we saw - lots of French cars going off Fri night.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy