Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley goggle advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am hoping to purchase a pair of Oakley goggles for my skiing holiday this year. Over the years I have had various cheap goggles that haven't lasted long due to being pretty rubbish. I've decided to invest in some Oakley ones that will last me for years to come. I haven't quite decided between the airbrake and splice but am currently leaning towards the airbrake due to the ease of changing lenses. I have been in situations where conditions have changed in minutes and all of a sudden your goggles are no use so the airbrake is probably the way to go.

In terms of lenses I would ideally like a general lens that can be used in normal and bright conditions since I wouldn't want to be changing all the time. The second lens I would like to be for low light but more importantly fog. I often find that when the clouds come over the top of the mountain can be very foggy making it hard to see. Are there any lenses that are good for this?

I know that the goggles come with set combinations but would be interested to know what you think are the best from the Oakley range for the two purposes.

Many thanks in advance,

James
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jw2014, hi vis yellow for poor light, not sure anything will help in true fog though
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Choose your frame based on your budget and the style you want, either will perform superbly. As for Lenses, I ski a fire iridium lens (18% isn) visible light transmission (VLT) which is a superb lens for medium to bright light, it is contrast enhancing to allow better reading of the terrain

For low / flat light I personally use the High Intensity Persimmon, but the basic Persimmon Lens is a great (and cheaper ) option as well, both about 63% VLT with the HI version having an iridium coating for better absorption of blue light to enhance contrast again..

Lots of people rave about the HI Yellow lens for low/flat light, I haven't used it but the amount of people using it can't be all that wrong.

Back to bright light, My wife has the emerald iridium and loves it and I bought black iridium for the Kids and their XS O frames which they like too.

All in all, most people end up with a favourite, look at Oakleys site, pick a colour you like that is described as a contrast enhancing lens and you won't go far wrong.

Just to throw one more thing in before I go, I was talking to an Oakley salesman recently who suggested the G30 or VR28 as a good all round lens for low to bright light which could be a cheaper option to start with, haven't tried it though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick reply. The hi via yellow seems to be the most popular choice for low light. It's a shame there's nothing for foggy conditions although using the low light lens might help?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks pauls248 for the detailed response! I totally agree with you on the frame. I have pretty much chosen the airbrake on looks and practicality and then will probably end up buying lenses on top of that as the ones that come bundled with the white frames don't seem like the best options. Although they do sell the black frame with fire iridium and hi yellow which may be a good option.

The fire iridium was one of the colours I was looking at so it's great to hear you like that as well. Do you use that for most of your skiing? I'll certainly check out the hi persimmon as another option to the hi yellow as well.

On another note what do you do when it's very foggy?

Many thanks,

James
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jw2014 wrote:

Go to the bar!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would emerald lenses perform ok in low light snowy conditions in anyone's experience, particularly these

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Bolle-Carve-Ski-Goggles-%252d-Black-Green-Fade-%7B47%7D-Green-Emerald.html

The webpage suggests they do but I always thought the darker greens/blue we're for v sunny conditions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:
jw2014 wrote:

Go to the bar!

"Use the force, luke"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies! I find it amazing nobody has come up with a specific lens for fog... maybe the bar is the best idea Very Happy I just read that yellow was quite good for fog so maybe the hi yellow would be the best option from Oakley? I just contacted Oakley about this so it would be interesting to see what they advise.

Many thanks,

James
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jw2014, yeah well, I do use the hi vis yellow in foggy conditions...to help me find my way to the bar wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha good plan! How do your hi yellows do in the fog? Better than a more general lens?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jw2014, To be honest I'm not sure what you are getting at. Hi Vis yellow are about the best thing for low light - that is they let in more light than those lens designed for brighter conditions so of course they are better than a more general lens...but in true fog I don't think anything would be as effective as you seem to be looking for
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jw2014, The Airbrakes are really nice - my partner has a pair and the ability to swap lenses can be very useful in changeable weather. He chose the ones that came with persimmon and fire iridium, and seems pretty happy with the choice, though obviously gear hoarders can collect the full set wink

They're too big for me, unfortunately, so I have 2 pairs of Oakley Stockholms with persimmon and emerald iridium lenses. The emerald is darker than the fire, but I have light blue eyes so it works well for me. Fire iridium will be fine if your eyes are less sensitive. The Internet Opticians usually carry a good selection.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes it seems as though I was looking for something that doesn't quite exist Very Happy However it's good to know the hi vis yellow would be better than my current lens. Thanks Scarlet for recommending The Internet Opticians, there prices are the best I have seen so will probably end up buying from there. Its good to know your husband likes the goggles! I don't usually wear large goggles but since I've started wearing a helmet this year I'm hoping they will fit correctly
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the great advice yesterday! I've been doing a bit more research and was thinking about getting the White Airbrake with Black Iridium and Persimmon lenses for this season and then upgrading the Persimmon to Hi yellow next season. From what I have read the Black Iridium is the best for general use (everything apart from low light and fog). I was originally thinking the fire iridium but apparently when the light drops its far to dark. Do you agree?

Another more worrying thing I read was that some people have had fogging issues with the Airbrake. I can't find out if this is a common problem. Anyone know anything about this?

Many thanks in advance,

James
latest report
jw2014, I use black iridium for mid to bright conditions . They are fine
snow report
Thanks for all your help holidayloverxx I'm pretty sure I've decided on lenses now so just want to be sure the goggles won't fog up. Hopefully if I get the right goggles they will last for many years to come... until some new technology comes out that I can't live without Smile
ski holidays
Hi, just to add my 2 pence worth, I have just bought some Oakley Canopy goggles with the fire iridium lens's which brighten up low light, and reduce glare in the brighter times. The huge lens give amazing peripheral vision, and it will fit with most helmets, however, before you order your goggles, I would take your helmet into a shop to try them on with the potential goggles that you're thinking of and then go online and order them if you need to.

By the way, Trekwear.co.uk had the cheapest Canopy's in black with fire iridium I could find at £99 down from £140.00, and I also managed to get a further 10% off with the voucher code: JANSALE which is valid until Jan 31st, so it might help you out as well with other goggles.

Good luck with your choice.
snow report
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't find a shop near me that stocks these so I will have to order online. I am able to return the goggles if they don't fit and I would still have time to order another pair. I have read that they fit well with the Poc Receptor (which I have) so I'm hopeful Very Happy Thanks for the link I'll check it out
ski holidays
I have the airbrakes and they are THE BOMB! I got ones that came with fire iridium and VR28, and, um, because I decided if I was having nice goggles I wanted the PERFECT goggle set I bought a pair of HI Yellow lenses too. This was a god send as I have spent quite a few days in total white out.

With the HI yellow you will need to be dam sure the blizzard isn't going to lift as if there is any light at all they basically burn your eyes (slight exaggeration). I use the fire iridium on bluebird days and the VR28 on patchy cloudy/changeable/north facing slops in woods kinda days. I will carry spare lens if I'm going to be out all day and forecast looks changeable.

Fire iridium isn't amazing when the light drops too much, but the lenses are still good and you get decent contrast.

I haven't had fogging issues - well, they fog up for an instant if I end up breathing on them when i've go a buff pulled up and I am all hunched over doing up my bindings - but they un-fog in an instant. Doesn't happen while riding, only when hunched over.
ski holidays
jw2014, make sure the airbrake are the correct size for your face, they are designed for a larger face. i use the crowbar with standard persimon and vr50 pink for brighter days. reason i didnt go for a total dark lens on bright days is the end of the day often gives a lot of shadowing when the sun goes down which with a dark lense would accentuate the darker shaded areas and i didnt want to ski in the dark. mrs MM has the Hi yellow for low light days and loves them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy