Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European School Holidays 2014-2015

Poster: A snowHead

Click image for larger version

Original in PDF format here:
http://www.resavalloire.com/InfoliveDocuments/vac_scol_14-15_au_03_12_13.pdf

With thanks again to Eric Bonnel of Val Thorens Tours/SETAM

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-09-14 13:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Super - now to start planning next years trips snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, thanks for that, much appreciated Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh great Evil or Very Mad we clash with Paris yet again Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah wrote:
Oh great Evil or Very Mad we clash with Paris yet again Mad

Looking good for the first week of Easter though. Does not clash with Belgium for once.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thank you altis, appreciate the info

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 2-02-14 14:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Looking good for the first week of Easter though

yes, it is. My son in law's school breaks up on Friday 27th March - that first week should be a great week to ski. Better than battling with the Parisians, that's for sure.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Darn it - yes end March looks great but we have already decided not to ski end season as GCSEs here Toofy Grin

snowymum, and reduced Belgians on the road too Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm NL N+C, so only conflict with Paris schools.

Not making any plans yet though..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yay, three March weeks to pick from for the lads trip - 7th-14th looks good.

Half term is grim though - at least we don't have to go then any more but will be busy for those who do.

HeidiAmsterdam, So Amsterdam is NL C I'm guessing. Which bits of the population fit into the various zones?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now the dilemma, do we do January or March for our mini-season?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
Now the dilemma, do we do January or March for our mini-season?

Both Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
igLou wrote:

snowymum, and reduced Belgians on the road too Laughing

Indeed Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed, indeed! first Easter week no Belgies and no Cloggies Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, unfortunately that won't be possible.
snow report
DJL,

NL N is North, and C is for the center, so actually it is everyone not celebrating Carnival...It is Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Utrecht, the heavily populated area. Austria is the prime destination, then France, then Italy, then Swizterland.

French only ski in France, and the Paris contingent has more of an impact in the Haute Savoie resorts than the Dutch. I'm doing my first Italy trip in Feb, and depending on snow and how much fun we have, I'll do it again. Otherwise I think Wengen/Murren.
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam, You might be right about most of France but not Chatel which is rammed with cloggies so Dutch hols have a big impact.

I contribute to it in my own modest way by bringing Mrs DJL (who is of the orange persuasion) with me!
snow conditions
Yes, the low landers have their favorite Swiss spots. Ran into a Dutch family in Verbier over Christmas, only complained about how much expensive Swizterland was compared to Austria for skiing..tisk, tisk...

So, money is thin in our family, and I organize our food here, come with my shopping list of what I buy locally and fresh, and stick to it. But for me, it's about skiing, and not just another holiday. It's not about 'being on holiday' it's about getting as much skiing as I can with funds available. And I'm not even orange! I'm a star spangled banner!

And, Chatel is France, and they do go to France, but not in the numbers they go to Austria!
ski holidays
Does the lack of Italian hols at half term mean that this is quieter than most other areas?

Does anyone know the Austrian hol dates?
ski holidays
Grrr, my plans to go to Val D'Isere or Tignes the week after the Snowheads Birthday Bash now clash with French zone A holidays. Can anyone if this week will be noticeably busier as a result or is it the Paris holidays the only really bad week.

Week before the bash would be better crowd wise but mean a complete reshuffle of my plans and booking different leave days off work. I do realise that I could go somewhere other than France but I sort of have my heart set on skiing EK next year as part of this trip.
snow report
Raven, if possible I'd reshuffle and ski the EK the week before the Bash.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Raven, if possible I'd reshuffle and ski the EK the week before the Bash.

Thanks Pam. Luckily all I have locked in is the bash week. Will need to do some shuffling of the schedule buts it's doable. Of course I could just go to Austria instead the week after the bash but I really want to go back to France.
snow conditions
Raven, The only people with holidays will be one third of France (Zone A) which includes Lyon and Grenoble so the local area. I'd suggest looking at the snow reports for EK for the equivalent week this year (and maybe the years before before). That usually givesw on the spot comment on how busy it has actually been.

Our lads trip has often coincided with a similar French holiday week. It is generally not too bad though admittedly we are in the Portes du Soleil rather than EK.

Unless you can't bear any sort of queue at all I reckon it will be OK.
snow report
What about Switzerland?
latest report
We were in 3V 'local' week and myself and mr NE1 reckon it's the busiest we have ever seen the 3V. We avoid main holiday times and have often been in France for Paris weeks but we reckon it was busier. Just our perception tho'
snow report
NE1 wrote:
We were in 3V 'local' week and myself and mr NE1 reckon it's the busiest we have ever seen the 3V. We avoid main holiday times and have often been in France for Paris weeks but we reckon it was busier. Just our perception tho'

Thanks for that. The quieter week at the end of January sounds much nicer.

Only problem is that doing Venice after the bash instead of before means that I'm there at Carnevale time, which I've discovered looking at accommodation prices is much more expensive and no doubt also very busy. Oh well, there's worse problems to have in life Cool
latest report
Thanks altis, very useful.

Can I suggest that this is made into a sticky Admin? It's easier to find with a google search than a snowHead s search.
snow conditions
Ps, anyone got any idea when the Russian holidays are?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

anyone got any idea when the Russian holidays are?

Usually Week 1 and especially Week 2
snow conditions
Perfect got flights booked for the empty weeks in march Wink
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam said,
Quote:

Ran into a Dutch family in Verbier over Christmas

Yes, you would hardly choose Verbier for a budget holiday. Having said that, Switzerland can be cheap - I tend to stick to hostels and some of them are fabulous. The one in St Moritz is like a 4 star hotel and the new one in Saas-Fee even has a spa attached. Plus booze is cheap in Switzerland if you buy it from the Coop and stretch your budget in the bars.

Incidentally, there is a new Dutch language web site on skiing in Switzerland. It hasn't launched yet, and is awaiting proof-reading, but it is up at http://www.swisswintersports.nl.
latest report
Result - been researching Feb 2016 and it looks like London (well our London borough at least) is not clashing with Paris which as we are thinking of DIY I believe could be an issue? Assuming this site is correct obviously http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid25058/le-calendrier-scolaire.html
snow conditions
See

http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education/eurydice/documents/facts_and_figures/academic_calendar_EN.pdf

for the full details of European school holidays.
ski holidays
@altis, is there a new calendar available for 15-16?
ski holidays
The Eurydice EU landing page for reference information is at

http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education/eurydice/facts_and_figures_en.php

but no sign of next academic year. You can sign up for their newsletter at the following address.

http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/education/eurydice/index_en.php
ski holidays
French ones http://about-france.com/school-holidays.htm
latest report
Come on Eric - get your finger out!
latest report
List for the EU on this website here, but not all countries have been updated

http://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/
snow report

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 19-02-15 21:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The German and Austrian school holidays for 2015/16 are available online and have been for sometime. I think you can actually see the planned holidays for several years in advance as well - up to 2019 if I remember correctly! The German school holidays are easily organised around the public holidays and particular events such as Fasching, so it is fairly easy for the States to divvy up the various weeks.

http://www.schulferien.org/Schulferien_nach_Jahren/2016/schulferien_2016.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy