Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, new here and hoping you can help!

I usually rent boots and just enjoy cruising the blues and some red slopes once a year for a week with my family (although I do like letting rip on a good blue!) I am 5ft2, size 5uk with large calves so usually end up with a 25 or 25.5 boot and ski fine.
I cannot justify spending loads so just tried on various brands/models in a few ski shops with help of the staff who all gave me at least an hour of their time! I thought the Salomon Quest Access 70 was the best. The 24 feels good overall comfort and has 2-2.5fingers back of shell (so hard to tell). The 23.5 feels much more snug, has probably 1-1.5 finger but much narrower across width and I can feel the blood pulsating through my foot and balls of foot burn. Both fit calf fine and toes ok. I have lots of forward flex (is that okay as I wear knee braces). Which sounds the better fit? And how much would the boots pack down.

I know a boot fitter best option and maybe when just me and my husband I'll treat myself but for now I don't want to spend weeks breaking in boots or the bank and just want to see if anything better than rentals, otherwise I'll stick with them . Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have 2-2.5 fingers back off shell it is called "comfortable fit". In reality it usually means that once the liners pack out they will be too big. But it's hard to judge fit for someone else especially advise what is best. For the type and frequency of your skiing it might work. I personally won't take a boot with more than 1 finger. But this is not the only factor that determines fit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you aren't having them fitted, I'd err to the bigger one, knowing it will be too big eventually, but not for a good 6-8 weeks, which for a holiday skier is loads. If you are hiring 25 and 25.5 a 24 is going to pan out fine, just not what many folks consider a 'proper' fit. I'm in a 26.5 (size 6 1/2 - 7) and have been for I think 5 years of twice a year skiing, and they are only just starting to get a bit loose. aj xx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd definitely go smaller. Flopping about in a boot is uncomfortable and unsafe. My last 2 pairs of boots have been a size and a half smaller than my street shoe size and their shells still have a finger to a finger and a half behind the heel. I've climbed thousands of meters with skis strapped to backpack and although they're obviously not as practical or flexible as a dedicated hikng boot, they're actually more comfy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JulieW, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Can't advise - not a bootfitter or expert - but 25.0 or 25.5 boots are very big for someone who takes a size 5 shoe. I take size 6.5 or 7 in UK shoes (horrible feet) but 24.0 in ski boots provided they are fairly wide.

As for the forward flex it's important you can get your knees above your bindings - my instructor last week told me she thought my boots were too stiff as I was struggling to do that (though it's also technique, not just the boots.... Embarassed )

But the single most important thing is comfort; if your boots are sore (and that could be because they are too small or too big) life is just miserable. Personally I'd go for a little bit big rather than a little bit small.

But it's not just about the mondo size - different boots in the same mondo size can feel totally different, just like one size 5 shoe is different from another. That's where bootfitters can help a lot, identifying which particular boot might suit your feet best.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski boots only get bigger with use NEVER smaller. Im a size 7 UK size but have a 25.5 ski boot which is a Lange so is small size by nature. But also I dont have the original liners in them (I use a very old Lange race liner), and have a moulded/built up insole, so room in my boot is at a premium. Over the years Ive had to grind down the plastic insole to make more room as I use my boots less than I used to. Its gone from 8 hours a day over 10 years ago to once a year for a week.

1 - 1.5 fingers is the max I would have fitted a boot at back in my day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flex in the shop is easier (more) than flex on the (cold) hill. Reading again you say the smaller size give you foot burn in the shop, that might be okay if a fitter is going to fiddle with them, but if you just plan to buy in decathlon or off the internet, then the bigger size is really the only choice. Burn in the shop is almost always going to become unbearable on the hill. Although yes it will probably be too big eventually, I think you'll get most of this decade out of them @ 1 week a year Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for both of a.j.'s posts for this poster in these circumstances Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

if you just plan to buy in decathlon or off the internet, then the bigger size is really the only choice

but you will find a range - Decathlon label their boots "wide", "medium" and "narrow" fit, in each mondo size. It's not boot-fitting nirvana, but very helpful. Buying off the internet is a bit Shocked unless you know the exact make and model you need.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JulieW, The 25/25.5 sounds large to me as well, I'm a UK size 7 and use a 26/26.5.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If the toes are fine with the 24 (and given your shoe size this is no surprise) you definitely don't want a longer boot. You might need a WIDER boot, but not by just getting a boot which is bigger in all dimensions.

Actually relatively few people find an off-the-shelf boot which fits them perfectly. And the boot you have tried ticks most of the boxes, including the areas which are hardest to adapt a boot, like the fit around the heel. A boot which is a little bit narrow across the widest part of the foot is a relatively easy fix. If you buy the boots from a cheap retail outlet it won't break the bank to go to a boot fitter and get them stretched out a little wider. Or buy the same boot from a shop which has a proper boot fitting facility. The ticket price might be more, but then you often get basic adaptions included.

M
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the quick/useful responses, very much appreciated and what a friendly bunch you are. I'm still a little unsure - I tried on loads of different makes and Salomon were by far the most comfortable around the calf and foot. I actually bought 2 pairs 23.5 and 24 from Decathlon and have been wearing them around the house. The 23s are feeling better each time but are definately narrower resulting in discomfort (burning ball of foot). I take on board that a boot fitter could sort but I'm off in a couple of weeks and may not have time, although will look into this a bit more - I guess I could take both pairs with me to the fitter?? The 24s are absolutely fine all the way round but I just worried they are so comfy straight off? That said if they do me a few seasons then I'll be happy but not one week! My instinct says the smaller pair would be better long term fit but perhaps need working on and/or breaking in and I don't think my husband could bear the moaning that might ensue! At least I wouldn't be taking a risk with the larger pair, except his wallet! Any further thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks for the comments on flexing, I'm happy that I can bend my knees well so guess all ok there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just rermember, they are not designed fow standing about or walking. In a skiing position your ankle will be pushed back into the heel pocket and you will have more room for toe length.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JulieW, that burning pain may not be from width, it is possibly your calf muscle which is pushing you forward, this will use up all your available range of motion at the ankle and load the area under the ball of your foot, a good boot fitter can flare the cuff of the boot backwards to accommodate the calf muscle and allow you to stand in a more balanced position
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sorry to divert the thread a bit but CEM, could you give me an opinion on something?

My boots are very snug but with several stretches and 14 weeks of packing out they are reasonably comfortable. However, at the end of some days I still get burn under the ball of my foot or more broadly under the forefoot.
I think it happens when I have spent time not in a flexed position (either standing in queues or because I've been knocked into the backseat by difficult conditions - like levering the skis around in heavy off-piste. It feels to me that the boots still have rather too little volume so that my forefoot is getting crushed into the footbed if my foot is being pushed forward when my lower leg is more vertical. The boots are Salomon X-Wave 9s. A measure of their snugness is that I only really need to clip the lower 2 buckles to stop the clips flapping around. I'm not really planning on changing them yet - they perform well - but it would be useful to have a sense for the future about whether I'd be better going for a slightly higher volume boot.
latest report
jedster, difficult to tell without seeing the foot, but it can be that when in lift lines you hang on the front of the boot which over flexes the ankle, OR by standing tall you slide the foot a bit forward into the toe box which is then feeling too small... there are a lot of more foot shaped boots out there now than there was in the days of the X Wave
ski holidays
agree - it's one of the two but generally when my feet are getting sore, flexing relieves the pressure so I think it's the latter. I'm not to far from you so if I decide to replace them I'll get in touch
ski holidays
Since you lovely snowheads were split 50/50 on the boot size dilemma I read just about every thread on here regarding boot fit! Armed with a tonne of excellent information, your comments and my instinct, made me decide to give the smaller size a chance. I've been wearing them and simulating skiing as best possible for at least 3 hrs for 4 days with a straight 8 hrs on one day (yes, it was a boring day!). I also bought some green superfeet insoles. Boots feel very secure, snug, with room to wiggle toes and good flex. No pins and needs or burning sensation in my foot (perhaps a little pressure on my small right toe but hoping this might disappear or an easy fix?). Have plenty of ability to tighten boots, buckles on toes just done up to hold clips. I think I've done as much due diligence as possible for an off the shelf purchase. My only concern is that they say 22/23.5 on the Salomon shell, I know feel is more important but I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that a I'm not squeezing my UK5 foot into a boot too small (22=UK3?) when I'm just a recreational skier looking to improve.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
JulieW, The 25/25.5 sounds large to me as well, I'm a UK size 7 and use a 26/26.5.

I'm a size 9 and ski a 26.5. I do like a nice snug fit.
ski holidays
JulieW, where on the shell? Label on the back of the heel or moulded into the plastic?
ski holidays
sticky label on back and front of boot says 23.5. Etched onto the shell says 22/23.5 with 278mm underneath it (plus inside liner etched with same).
They're Salomon Quest Access 70. Haven't seen any reviews on these anywhere.

Spyderman - Ouch!
latest report
JulieW, the "etching" relate to the fact that the same clogs/cuffs and liners in different combinations and different boards, etc. get used for a range of "sizes". Ignore it. It's a 23.5.

Anyway, even it had a "22" label on it, "Boots feel very secure, snug, with room to wiggle toes and good flex. No pins and needs or burning sensation in my foot" is all you need worry about.
snow report
Thx for the reassurance, much appreciated.
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
Megamum wrote:

I'm a size 9 and ski a 26.5. I do like a nice snug fit.

I'm the same - feel good too.

If they fit and are ok dont worry about the numbers. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
To update – if unsure on boot sizing, definitely go smaller!
Was glad I did as think the larger size would have felt very loose - even the smaller felt loose slightly towards end of week (perhaps more aware of boot fitting or poss too much volume?) They were comfortable from the start in all areas, especially my problem calf. I think wearing at home really helped. Thanks to everyone again for their input.

Help Again? Of course, no substitute for skiing as this did identify a pressure point on my small right toe. The boot cramped this toe on tiny bone joint feeling as though it impacted a blood vessel/nerve or was clicking the bone back and forth? No blister and only ‘sore’ when actually skiing. It was last couple days of trip and on difficult snow. Was tempted to have it ground out but as new thought best see if settled. I put insoles in boots prior whilst testing out at home and thought whilst it helped one foot it did make the right small toe slightly uncomfortable but of course you can never really tell so I went with it. Can you wear just one insole? Do you think should get sorted before going again? Thanks in advance
snow report
JulieW, if you have a pressure point like that have the shell blown out or ground (depending on boot and how much space is required) wearing a single insole will not really work... people do it but i wouldn't recommend it as it will not allow good balance and control
snow report
Thx CEM. Didn't think one insole was a good idea either!
A few further, probably silly and naive questions - I'm a little worried about having bits blown/grounded out. Surely different insoles have different results and how can I be sure that my toe is going to be in the same place each time in the boot as the packs down. Not really sure how it works, all I know is you expert boot fitters are wizards at this kinda stuff! The area of discomfort was only the size of a 1p piece so how much gets taken off? Also, do you think best to do in resort or UK before my next trip? I live in Reading, if you can recommend anyone that can help close by that would be helpful too.
latest report
Blowing the shell out is quick and easy. Your foot doesn' t really change position as the liner packs down, it all just gets a touch looser overall. I've needed two small areas doing on my last two pairs of boots, it's pretty standard for a well fitted boot to require a few tweaks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JulieW, Both my wife & I have our boots from CEM. My boots were fine until the 3rd week of hard skiing with my son, far harder than the previous weeks. This brought on a pressure point that was painful. After a few days returning to less agressive piste skiing it was ok but sore.
Upon my return CEM stretched the area causing the problem. Just a little area, It didnt take long and the boots still fit snug.
Just spent a week in italy with them, no problem s, it is worth tweeking boots to fit. I cant be the only person with wiered shaped feet !

Point to note, prior to having boots fitted by a professional, I had a whole load of sizes hired to me, some snug , some useless, but none matched my UK shoe size and neither do they now , so I wouldn, t hold too much by comparing shoe size to mondo size.
snow report
Yup, I am 9.5 with a slim foot, my shell is 26.0 - 27.5.
snow report
JulieW, as much gets ground away as required, or as big an area stretched as is needed to remove the pressure..... in Reading at Skiplex, Outdoor Trader have opened a boot lab, Anja should be able to sort that out for you (total cost having not bought a boot form them i would guess £15-£20 ish)

ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle, you are not a 26.0-27.5 that is the cuff notation (one cuff covers 2 lower shells) see the outsided of the shell a the heel for the correct one of the sizes ... either 26.0-26.5 or 27.0-27.5 (things are different at the 22-23.5 end of the spectrum where with a mold cost of €120k they double stuff up to save money (and make a boot fitters life hell))
latest report
Quote:

either 26.0-26.5 or 27.0-27.5

CEM, surely, if he wears Scarpas as his name suggestes, he's either 26.5-27.0 or 27.5-28.0 as the shell sizes change on the half size for Scarpa?
snow report
galpinos wrote:
Quote:

either 26.0-26.5 or 27.0-27.5

CEM, surely, if he wears Scarpas as his name suggestes, he's either 26.5-27.0 or 27.5-28.0 as the shell sizes change on the half size for Scarpa?

if you want to be pedantic then yes he could be, but he is NOT a 26.0-27.5
latest report
ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle wrote:
it's pretty standard for a well fitted boot to require a few tweaks.

I agree... Toofy Grin
latest report
CEM, You are absolutely correct. Sorry about the confusion. My boots are Atomics, there is no size on the outside of the heel on those, just sole length. But the boot size is a 26.0 - 26.5.
snow report
Thanks for the replies everyone. Will go to Outdoor Trader which is really close to me to get sorted and then give them a whirl at the skiplex which I didn't even know was there, looks interesting!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy