Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term 2015....

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a quick look and seems that our half term (14-21/2 2015) is the same as zone a and c in France, same as Belgium and the south of the Netherlands....

Not looking good then Sad

Anyone know Germany/Austria holidays?

May have to go easter next year.

Sorry if this is a little early, but I like to get things sorted early.

Thanks Simone
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've already had 3 booking requests for our apartment that week Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monie&Dave, If you are thinking of going to Austria, then the Austrian/German half term holidays usually have relatively little influence on how busy the resorts are. What you need are details of Scandinavia and Netherlands, as these nationalities head to Austria for their winter breaks.

As a general rule, Danes are on holiday in weeks 7 and 8 (i.e. mid-Feb) and Sweden/Netherlands weeks 9 and 10 - but see the next post below for actual dates for 2015

Of course 2015 is an exception to this generalisation, as 14th - 21st Feb (week 8 ) is also the week that Ash Wednesday falls in, so some areas of southern Germany may also be on holiday.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry about booking week 8 in somewhere like St Anton, Saalbach, Wagrain, Bad Gastein and much of Ski Amade or Zillertal, as most places have invested in modern and fast lifts to get you up into the mountains. Pick a resort or two and ask for comments on here - there are plenty of people happy to advise.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 28-01-14 14:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2457825
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that, may look into austria. I think it will be easter though. We may be able to get a relatives apartment in Champery (swiss sido of PdS), would this be crazy half term next year?

Cheers,

Simone
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Monie&Dave, PDS in general yes, very busy at half term. However the Swiss side much less so, busier than usual, but much less busy than say Morzine, Les Gets, Avoriaz, Chatel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am also looking for next year as i cannot take my daughter out of school as she will be in her final 2 years.
I was thinking that i should look for a small austrian resort such as Neiderau. Does anyone have experience of the place at half term?

I appreciate that the skiing is limited but as my family are pretty low grade skiers this won't be an issue and i will probably ski with friends at other times of the year in better resorts.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
South of the Netherlands isn't a huge issue, as a lot of folk celebrate Carnaval, which seems to pull rank over skiing. Don't really understand that logic myself, but seems to be so. Paris is an issue.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am looking to go in Feb half term also. Our first time Skiing. super excited! I never realised how much Ski lift passes are - I was shocked!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnowPoppy, when you see the infrastructure involved, not just the lifts, but the staff, the piste rescue, the snow machines, the grooming machines, the signage, the cost of a lift pass makes more sense. Compared with a snowdome at £20-30 per hour for one short lift/run, they are a bargain.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SnowPoppy wrote:
I am looking to go in Feb half term also. Our first time Skiing. super excited! I never realised how much Ski lift passes are - I was shocked!

It is eyewater particuarly if you have a family. However, if you compare a day pass cost to the cost of an hour in a snowdome they look better value and it beats walking imho
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
too true queen bodecia, the work that goes into making ski pistes is much more than meets the eye. Plus, for extra value, Ski Amade offer free kids passes with a full paying adult weekly pass from mid March till the end of season - now that is a bargin. Ange Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnowPoppy, if it's your first time then look out for any different lift pass options. If you're going to a big resort then there'll almost certainly be a cheaper option that restricts you to say one valley. You won't need any more than this. And next time pick a smaller resort - they'll be much cheaper!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowPoppy, if you are taking children under 6 (or maybe 6 already but their birth dates come in under the cut-off year), they may be entitled to free passes in many Austrian resorts as long as there is at least one adult pass being bought as well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowPoppy, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Yes, passes are expensive but they do vary a lot (e.g. I paid a lot less last week in Les Deux Alpes than I am paying for the same 6 day period in the Dolomites next week the former seem to give a more generous "OAP" reduction).

Have you decided where to go yet? There are some good bargains for beginners, with lift passes, lessons and equipment included. And most places are free for kids 5 and under.

There are ways to reduce costs but it's never going to be a cheap holiday, sadly, though with some experience you can avoid some of the big half term price hikes by booking DIY.
latest report
Quote:

There are ways to reduce costs but it's never going to be a cheap holiday,

This
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy