Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving Necessary?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys I'm 14 and can parrell turn on my edges and can pole plant. I have been looking at videos to see how I can progress further. It' seems that the next stage of progression is carve turns but I only really see people using this technique on not very steep groomed piste. My dad who is now in his 50's is an amazing skier who skis in the older skis close together style which he has passed on to me and not the modern wide apart stance (I prefer it more and think it looks nicer) What I was wondering is, do I need to start carving or is what I'm already doing enough? Off piste I dont really see people doing it, but correct me if I'm wrong. I know carving is used to help maintain your speed but isn't that just for racing?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks a lot

Euan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No you don't need to carve but it's fun, a new skill to learn and will round out your skiing skills. Learning to ski in a more modern style will get more out of modern skis. There are no requirements to do so though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok, thanks a lot. How long does it normally take to learn it? I know everyone progresses at a different pace
Just asking... I went to a dry ski slope today and tried but didn't have that much success.. I think that it will be easier on snow tho...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely easier on snow and the basics are reasonably straightforward.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For carving you need reasonable snow conditions - so dry slopes don't fit the bill!

Carving can be great fun on blue/red runs - it is fun and does not take as much energy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiingQuinHat, It's as easy to carge on a artificial slope (dry or indoor) as on any other slope: you just need to have the skill to do it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EuanFraser, skis are designed to carve. QED
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EuanFraser,

Convince your Dad to stump up some cash for you... grab some lessons and learn to carve!
It must be something that he hasn't taught you as he can't do it himself.
It is a necessary skill if you want to advance and in general be a better skier.

It is very strange that at your age you haven't been taught the basic elements of carving on any ski holidays in ski schools. I'll take a guess that as soon as you were able to slide safely you have been out skiing with your family and not 'wasted' any more time in ski school.... time for you to make a decision... advance your skill set or be a happy tourist chugging along?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Learn to carve properly and you will be able to ski off piste. You will have great difficulty off piste unless you can ski without skidding - ie. carve.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax, steady on. I can carve, but would struggle to teach anyone or explain the nuances of what I'm doing. Not everyone can teach and explain things well, and not everyone can analize (sic) every body movement.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EuanFraser, I'd be looking to get onto some newer skis and take a lesson or two on how to ski them if I were you, the old straight skis are a lot harder to carve than the modern equivalents.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry thecramps, didn't mean to point fingers!!
No need to analyse every movement just try to helpEuanFraser, along... use a lot of the 'follow me' technique!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis wrote:
Learn to carve properly and you will be able to ski off piste. You will have great difficulty off piste unless you can ski without skidding - ie. carve.
you are trolling right?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
waynos, not at all.

IMV, the key thing to understand when skiing choss is the need to make your skis travel forwards, along their length, as much as possible. Try to throw in lots of rotation straight away (as perfectly demonstrated by FranzClammer) and you will struggle to keep your balance as the snow tries to trip you up.

Besides, carving on piste or off piste is much the same - except off piste requires more concentration!
snow report
altis, do you really carve in soft fluffy snow? I certainly don't. I will use my edges more in cut up/chopped up snow....
snow conditions
All depends on the gradient:
Steep fluff - lots of rotation
Gentle fluff - little/no turning but maybe lots of rotational stiffness
ski holidays
altis wrote:
All depends on the gradient:
Steep fluff - lots of rotation
Gentle fluff - little/no turning but maybe lots of rotational stiffness

altis, so no carving then Wink
snow report
I'mm gonna try it.... Some snowHead's have been right all along... I'll get some really skinny skis (maybe even Langlauf) and then take them in the deep pow-wow.... That way I'll cut through to a base and wop out some massive GS turns!... epic!
snow conditions
kitenski, what's your definition of carving then?

For me it's travelling down the hill making 'S's with the skis moving longitudinally over the snow without side-slipping.

Control of speed is made by choice of route and not side-slipping.
latest report
flangesax, I agree with the follow me thing. Sometimes if I over analyse my movements other problems creep in. I learn best by watching and following.
snow report
altis, for me it's when you are using the edge of your skis to get grip in the snow...

actually take a look at this vid I just posted

36 secs in, I am not carving in fresh snow, the fresh snow is providing resistance and my skis are being rotated, 45 seconds in I am putting both skis on edge and letting them drive me around the turn, bashing any lumps of snow out of the way....

http://youtube.com/v/J1H_RAw2T20
snow conditions
'This video is private'
snow report
altis wrote:
'This video is private'

hopefully fixed!
ski holidays
kitenski, not quite sure what that's intended to prove.

Take a look at franzClammer. His on piste skiing is starting to look respectable but the ingrained pivoted initiation comes back with a vengance as soon as he's out of his comfort zone, for example off piste. This leads to 1) the tips being knocked sideways by lumps in the snow and 2) effort fighting the skis as they try to push sideways through the snow.

If intermediates at this stage can learn (for example through carving) to trust that the skis will come round on their own then the transition to off piste will be much easier. There are plenty of skills that can be transferred from carving to off piste.
* overcome the desire to force the skis round
* tight core and upper body
* tight legs laterally and rotationally but still keeping suspension
* choice of line
* balance
* strong outside leg

I'm NOT saying that there is no place for rotation off piste. But the ability to ski S-turns rather than Z ones is a great help.
snow conditions
EuanFraser wrote:
Hi guys I'm 14 and can parrell turn

English GSCE will do you more favours in life than carving.
snow conditions
Wonder if you can do a GSCE in carving..?
ski holidays
Carving.... no not necessary, but its another part of skiing. Plenty of shaped skis on ebay at more than reasonable prices. Will be a lot easier to carve than the straights... although i havent tried carving straight skis.
Carving is another turn to learn. fun to open on boring flat pisted runs, and easy in hero powder on a flat base. Its what shaped skis are designed for, so mix up your turns and yes, carve off piste. Chop, Powder. Adapt. Change speed, direction, shape of turn etc. Its not one pitch one type of turn only ...... skiing is an expression of self ( ....well, can be )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thornyhill, possibly but i suspect the issue here is typing, a GCSE in typing is only modestly useful
latest report
AsterixTG wrote:
Wonder if you can do a GSCE in carving..?
our rodders has a GCSE in Art and Carving.
snow report
biddpyat, how many stars on his name badge?
snow report
Carving is really fun and as mentioned above uses less energy, thing is I always find myself doing a million miles an hour within a few turns because you don't lose speed through the turn as you do when you skid. Obviously this is because I need more practice, but it still puts the sh*ts up me!

Feels absolutely magic when you get it right though Very Happy

It's something I only recently started working on properly and it adds a massive extra dimension to skiing - there's a very linear "effort/focus = fun" relationship.
latest report
bobmcstuff , ... im not an instructor, but finish your turn before changing direction ( linking to next turn ). you take the speed off going up/into the hill.
More linked " C " shapes rather than " S " shapes or " ( " shapes
snow report
Anyone know of any good online coaching carving vids
ski holidays
dublin2,

http://youtube.com/v/UGn62uxnhjg
snow report
EuanFraser, At 14 my son was quite happy with what he could do, wasn't bothered with learning to carve properly or make proper short turns. He could get down what he wanted to after a fashion. Then he got through the teenage grunting stage, started watching ski videos, decided he wanted to learn to be an instructor, and spent a lot of time having to learn how to ski 'properly'. The more he learnt, the more he got into it, and now you wouldn't know it was the same person skiing. Carving is brilliant fun, and as people have said, it adds a new dimension to the whole thing. But he didn't stop there, he now has 3 pairs of skis - piste, park and fat, and uses them all to good effect. So if you enjoy skiing, get some lessons and broaden your horizons!
ski holidays
To answer the op; if you're skiing in "euro mince" mode with a really narrow stance then that will be the first thing you are going to need to change to begin carving. The narrow stance means that the inside boot / leg prevents you getting enough edge angle on the outside ski. It also results in an unstable position as the base of support is too small as you start moving laterally. Get the feet to hip width; thats not "really wide" but might feel it for you to start with.

Why do this? because carving is just ace - nothing like the sensation of moving a long way inside the turn, balancing against big centripetal forces and going fast in control (rather than pointing the skis straight down the hill).

Enjoy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy