Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice about skis for the clueless, please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
altis, thanks again. I do intend to ask my instructor but as I said earlier, knowing her, she's not likely to comment on kit unless I specifically ask her so this thread has been very useful in helping ask a better question than I would have done before. Out of interest, what skis do you use when you're off piste?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use my Line Darkside Carbons for everything (except BASI training). They are park skis with a 73mm waist. At 1.5kg each, they are quite light but they have Fritschi Freeride bindings (about 1kg each). They are long in the tooth now and I've just about worn through the bases.

This year I hope to have ready some G3 Aces (81mm waist and 1.6kg each) together with Dynafit bindings (0.5kg each) - but I haven't skied them yet.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 27-01-14 15:47; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, I was expecting you to say you use a ski that was less than 75mm wide and I was right (although you are going a bit wider - but not 'fat' - in future). I think I'm sort of starting to understand what you're on about. Sort of. Laughing As I say, it's just for interest and understanding - I'm not about to try to hire the same skis as you or anything!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just thought I'd quickly update this thread as you all so kindly gave me advice…. I went out again on my own after I last posted and the pistes were in perfect condition, really lovely, and a lot less skidding, making me think it was me and not the skis and I should stick with them until my lesson. The lesson was yesterday and it was a good one. We did some off piste and I was pretty rubbish, much worse than when I was on the ungroomed pistes. They're 72 waist and it probably would be easier on something fatter… but I think I should just work on technique and keep practicing?!

My instructor also took me down a slope under the Christomet lift that I had been avoiding post injury. It's got a steep section on it that is often mogully as it is frequently unpisted. Unfortunately a very experienced skier broke their leg on it a few days ago (first thing after a decent fall of fresh snow), which didn't make it seem any more appealing… so my instructor insisted yesterday was the day to do it, as the snow was lovely and it had been pisted that morning. So it was good to remind myself that I can ski it without harm when it's pisted (though will check it out from the lift first to see if it's really mogully/icy) - will not attempt it unpisted without her yet, but don't feel like I'm wimping out for doing that - just being sensible!

I did ask her about the skis. She picked one up and flexed it. Then picked up one of her own and flexed it and said they were the same. I asked her about the length and she again said they were like hers (we're roughly the same size, although she's super fit and will have a lot more muscle than me) so that was fine. I did point out that I wasn't *quite* the same kind of skier she was but she just shrugged and smiled and said I was a good skier. So really, I'm sort of none the wiser about "beginner skis" and whether I should get some more "all mountain" skis or just carry on practicing off piste on the skis I have. I realise now it might have been helpful if I'd actually bothered to look at what skis she uses as I would be interested to see how they were categorised/marketed by the manufacturer.

Yes, so all in all, still clueless Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
igLou, the Attraxions are Rossignol, not Volkl.

Yes I know, I was talking about my blingy Volkls
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
miranda, I will be bringing my Fuegos with me in Feb, you would be more than welcome to try them for interest.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
igLou, that would be great, thank you! I'm sure Eric would do any adjustments required Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
miranda, I generally find that instructors are far less fussed about skis than we punters often are! Same with other "tools of the trade" - when I had flute lessons, years ago, I was having trouble with some high notes. My teacher thought (kindly) that it might be my flute, so she played a few bars. Which sounded wonderful..... Embarassed My son, a brilliant skier, will just get on anything and ski better than most folk on the mountain.

But my favourite French instructor did once tell me that slightly wider skis (he wasn't talking proper fat) would help me off piste.

I am being so indecisive about which skis to take to Arabba that I suspect I will take three pairs. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
miranda, Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
igLou, Laughing

pam w, yes, I pretty much got the response I was expecting from my French instructor. It would be good still to try out other skis just to feel the difference, particularly something just a little wider off piste perhaps; otherwise I'll hand these back at the end of the season, get another set next season having forgotten these, and once again have no clue what everyone's on about in this forum! But there's no hiding from the fact that it's my technique that needs upgrading, not the skis!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy