Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Book on-line or Walk in ski equipment Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is the old "should we book online or wait question. I know its been asked before, but in general what do folks think?
As a intermediate skier, I generally go for whatever ski's are offered in the middle range, and always prebook. I don't know enough about skis to be able to judge the quality of skis when thy are handed to me in the shop (bar looking for damage). The length of the ski is the only thing I can confidently ask for. To me, if I "feel" that I was given good ski's, and the transaction was fair, then I'm generally happy with them.
This year the, folks want to wait until we get there , and check out a few ski rental shops , to see whats on offer. (we'll be doing this on a Sunday morning, which could be busy) . Also, shops, and booking sites, all advertise discounts for prebooking. Does this actually bear out- as in are the prices inflated to be discounted , and that the same prices are available for a walk-in?
My question is this- are you likely to "feel" better served with equipment by shopping around once in a resort? or are you just likly to end up with the same for more money?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slev, Saalbach might be different, but in France, using skimium.com, it's well worth pre-booking. I booked a day's skis online in Les2Alpes on Thursday morning, but could only book for the following day (Friday). I went into the shop on Thursday morning because I wanted them for Thursday too. I got 40% discount online (plus 5% for having a Decathlon card and 5% because I am a returning customer) for Friday but couldn't get the Thursday skis for the same price - just 20% discount, which they seemed to think was doing me a favour.
I don't know why rental shops do this. I have used skimium for several bookings with my local ski shop - big discounts including a 10% code found at random with a google search. I would very happily pay that amount directly to the shop (which is presumably better for them than paying a percentage to the middleman) but as they have not offered that, I shall keep booking online!

And Sundays in a rental shop.....
Mad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This subject was raised a while ago by Hansi, who runs 'Hansi's Best-Price' in Saalbach. You can pre-book ski equipment with him through Ski-Set, but he said that he prefers people not to do this, as he can give them a better deal if they just walk into his shop, rather than pre-booking on-line. He gives a 20% discount to anyone who goes to him on my recommendation. His skis and boots are good quality and new each season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

You can pre-book ski equipment with him through Ski-Set, but he said that he prefers people not to do this, as he can give them a better deal if they just walk into his shop, rather than pre-booking on-line.

If that's true then it's simple - price up the best deal on line, then send him an email with your requirements and ask for a better deal!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have seen Hansi's deal, where he provides a "print and present" 20% off deal. But as Pam says, why wouldn't a shop offer the same deal as on-line once asked? Seems like it would mean the same amount of money to them, plus a happy customer.
I suppose the other question is, are you likely to get a better quality ski if you walk in? (in the same quality grouping). I will report back on our findings about walk-ins vs pre-booking.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

why wouldn't a shop offer the same deal as on-line

At risk of stating the obvious, I assume that the on-line deal with Ski-Set can't be as generous as the 'walk-in' deal, as someone else is taking their cut.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

At risk of stating the obvious, I assume that the on-line deal with Ski-Set can't be as generous as the 'walk-in' deal, as someone else is taking their cut.

I don't think that's obvious, and it's not my experience. The other alternative is that the shops make a better profit from "walk in" deals precisely because the online deal is more generous and because they still get enough "walk in" customers to get away with that. If a lot of customers got an online quote first then offered the shop the opportunity to match it on a "walk in" the situation would no doubt improve (from the customer's point of view, not the shop's) as the market would become more competitive.

My local ski shop has not offered to match the online price even though I have rented five lots of gear from them, for my visitors, in the last few weeks. On one occasion when I added a further pair of skis, on the day, they explicitly said the price would be higher but that they would make "un petit geste" and knocked off a bit.

That situation is clearly unsustainable if more people start exploring the on-line options - except in places like the Arlberg where a strong local cartel keeps prices very high.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wonder what the break-down is for the shops i.e walk-ins vs pre-booked. Supply and demand should dictate price,, and on-line offers, allow a shop to grab your business first. Once at the resort you are less likely to spend the time needed to check out many places, so fish in a barrel. The advantage I suppose, is that when booking on site, you get a feel for whether the shop is taking time with their customers, or just lashing the skis out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used the Saalbach app to find suppliers and then compared prices. I booked for 50euro for four days (skis only).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I used the Saalbach app to find suppliers and then compared prices. I booked for 50euro for four days (skis only)

Have just spotted that app. thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Slev wrote:
Quote:

I used the Saalbach app to find suppliers and then compared prices. I booked for 50euro for four days (skis only)

Have just spotted that app. thanks.

The interactive piste map is also handy for the breakfast table (as opposed to a A0 paper map).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy