Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which balaclava for ski helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all,

returned last weekend from a trip to Italy, and have now decided to buy a helmet...

I will probably be visiting few shops to try them on, etc to find the best fit.

I will be wearing the helmet with a balaclava.

My question is:

Which sort of balaclava do you guys recommend me to buy before hand to take to shop?

Comments are appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
redbaron51, I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever so just pick one, FWIW I use any one of about 5 buffs under mine each day depending on whatever one I find first.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 24-01-14 15:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
redbaron51, Standard answer from me: Icebreaker merino. Helmet liner plus buff.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 24-01-14 15:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
not a balaclava but I use a sealskinz skull cap under mine when its cold - quite thin and works for me
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
redbaron51 wrote:
hi all,

returned last weekend from a trip to Italy, and have now decided to buy a helmet...

I will probably be visiting few shops to try them on, etc to find the best fit.

I will be wearing the helmet with a balaclava.

My question is:

Which sort of balaclava do you guys recommend me to buy before hand to take to shop?

Comments are appreciated

This is a great question. Perhaps it won't have the broadest appeal but for some reason it made me smile.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Your goggles will steam up with a balaclava...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always take a balaclava but never use it, the helmet on its own is easily warm enough.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kelskii wrote:
I always take a balaclava but never use it, the helmet on its own is easily warm enough.

Same here, never felt the need for any thing other than my helmet. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kelskii, +1
Unless going to v cold resort
But take a Buff or other neck warmer to pull up over mouth on cold lifts
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buff and if its really cold a merino (current ones are Musto ones I found in a clearance bins at the boat show for all of £3.99) beanie under the helmet for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Airhole stops the ear freeze and stops your goggles steaming up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd generally agree with the comments that the helmet is warm enough on it's own, but December 2012 in Tignes the temperatures were around -20 and windy. I then found my cheap Oxford balaclava perfect under the helmet as it's really thin.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hi all,

thanks for all messages....the skull cap option sounds really good.....

I will be checking some merino options too
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use an under armour face ask and hood I think it is called check them out on baselayer.co.uk

It is a balaclava but is not fixed in place so you can have it either right up cover all you face or tuck it under your chin if warmer

I wear one of these all year in Scotland and it's excellent
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Generally my helmet alone is warm enough, but when it looks cold I take a silk balaclava in my pocket. It takes up even less space that a handkerchief and silk keeps you very warm. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy