Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Rental Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - a question regarding ski rental.

I'm an intermediate skier, but generally only get to ski for 1 week a year. I prefer skiing on piste and always rent my skis in resort.

I usually opt for the 2nd level of ski (red) designed for beginner / intermediate, does anyone have a view on the benefits of upgrading to black or gold ski rental package? My aim is to ski on piste red/blue runs with as much ease as possible.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not worth paying for top grade, in my view. Also save money by booking online. Welcome to Snowheads.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed, in fact for someone preferring blue/red as opposed to black/offpiste I'd say black/gold might even be a bad thing, probably either a bit stiff/wide etc for you OR they will just give you reds anyway Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From my experience working with ski suppliers, if you have say gold silver and bronze categories it will be something like this:

Gold - Brand new skis (or brand new that season), normal piste skis provided but often also more advanced skis such as powder, park twin tips, decent all mountain skis.
Silver - Decent enough models, predominantly piste skis with other older more advanced (slightly older) skis as above, condition of the skis are variable.
Bronze - Basically the old stuff, sometimes a few seasons old. Avoid unless you're a complete beginner.

I worked for a tour operator for a couple of seasons, and we got given rental skis for the season. I got a silver set in my first season, I swapped them out after one week as I didn't think they were great, the replacement set weren't great so I got them waxed and edged, they still weren't great so I bought my own all mountain skis and they were so much better. Other friends and colleagues were much the same. My second season was much the same, I didn't use my rental skis at all, they only got used by a beginner mate who came out to stay with me.

I always encourage people to think like this....

You go skiing for 6 or 7 days of the year. You pay perhaps north of £1000 for that privilege. Its (theoretically) one of the best weeks of your year. Why would you not pay an extra £20 or £30 and get the very best equipment to ski on? Why cheapskate it and potentially get inferior skis, when you could make the absolute most of your short trip away for just £3 a day extra, which is less than the cost of pint of beer?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used to get the mid range skis. On a few occasions, I've been back to the shop with a day or two left on the hire and asked to upgrade just to try the higher grade skis. They've always been happy to oblige and though I was prepared to pay, never been charged extra. As a bonus you also get to sample not only better skis, but fresh wax and edges.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks all for the informative replies, I suppose my query is not around paying the additional 30 or 40 pounds for the upgrade, it's more around ease of use for the type of skiing I want to do. I would happily pay double if my experience on piste was going to improve with a better ski. Is a superior more technical ski harder to use?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It all depends on what you mean by a "technical" ski. Is an off-piste ski going to be more difficult to ski on piste than a dedicated piste-ski? Of course. It is wider, longer, and not designed for hard packed pistes. But will it perform better off-piste? Yes, quite obviously so. There are different types of ski for different types of terrain, and some "all mountain" skis that try to give the best of both worlds.

Paying for the top end doesn't necessarily mean you'll be given a more "technical" ski. It just means you'll get the best range of skis in the category of terrain that you want to ski. Any half-decent ski shop will talk to you about your ability level and give you the right type of ski for what you want to do, and the right fit/size for you. If you ski mainly on piste, tell them that, and you'll get a top of the range piste ski. And it will be much easier to ski on piste than a mid range cheaper version that has been skied on for a couple of seasons.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really don't agree - ime the 'top' skis range very rarely contains good early intermediate models, and so folks who upgrade too early get either the same skis as those who take 'red' while paying for gold OR overpowered skis (race or offpiste) that they can't handle and don't enjoy. perhaps it depends where you are in the world too though - I'm talking major french resorts and the large chains .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a.j. wrote:
I really don't agree - ime the 'top' skis range very rarely contains good early intermediate models, and so folks who upgrade too early get either the same skis as those who take 'red' while paying for gold OR overpowered skis (race or offpiste) that they can't handle and don't enjoy. perhaps it depends where you are in the world too though - I'm talking major french resorts and the large chains .

a.j., just to press this further. You said:

"folks who upgrade too early get either the same skis as those who take 'red' while paying for gold OR overpowered skis (race or offpiste) that they can't handle and don't enjoy."
Just to clarify; exactly what personal experience are you basing this on? It seems a bit of a generalisation, so I'm just wondering if you could clarify further what your personal problems have been in this regard?

Also, in your words:

"ime the 'top' skis range very rarely contains good early intermediate models"

I'm interested he hear which stores was this from, and in which resorts?

I'd be genuinely interested to hear the specifics.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sure - I take out a group of 10-25 every year (since 2003), plus a second or third trip for 4/6 most years and the odd weekend. Over time the group has seen 20+ people learn to ski with us. Some of my buddies like to pay top rack hoping for magic powers. I often see the former problem, i.e. those who have paid platinum/black etc but ask for 'blue/red slopes' or 'third week' or 'I'm a bit nervous' or even just being a lightweight get a pair of skis clearly marked as silver/red or even blue and identical to those issued to others who paid far less. I've seen less but noticeable instances of folks being outgunned, I've personally suffered from it twice and been outright told 'well then you don't want platinum, here have these ones instead'. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting confused between years/condition - I worked as a ski tech part time through school and I'm enough of a geek I usually look up what year the model I've been given is. Les Carroz, Val d'Isere (notably NOT snowberry who did indeed behave as you suggest), Tignes, Les Menuires, Les Arcs 2000 are the ones I can remember it happening in of the top of my head.

I DO agree the bottom class tends to be old equipment, and often even the next one up is older gear. But past red/silver up to gold/black and platinum/premium I don't find ime it's a good bet/value for those not wanting to hit black runs.

I've no problem with you offering a different view though - that's what these forums are for, so people can get lots of opinions.

aj
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for that.

I think the bottom line to be drawn is that you're always going to get different results with different companies. In my first season in Les Arcs we used SkiSet as a supplier, and they had multiple shops throughout all the resort centres. The quality of ski and level of customer service did vary from one store to another, it has to be said.

One thing I will say, and your use of the term "platinum" has reminded me; you're absolutely correct, these typically are the very best skis and in all likelihood won't be piste skis. So they would definitely be a bit above what the OP needs.

From my own experience in Les Arcs and Meribel, Gold Silver and Bronze have been the standard options and Platinum as an elite type of ski that you'd only specifically ask for, typically for skis over and above the norm. So I guess the trick is to do research into exactly what you're supposed to be getting for your money.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy