Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Snowboarding Next Week in Austria ..advice pls ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, female (52) never been to a ski resort, with a son (12yrs) desperate to see some snow at half term and try out snow boarding. Am told Austria might be a good place to head??

Travelling alone with my son & not a skier myself I'd like somewhere where I can watch him learn (if that's possible) A resort not full of large groups of youngsters partying til late but still plenty of things for me / us to do a I won't be skiiing ( & can't.. fractured both my arms a few weeks ago & still recovering) and being a complete newbie I guess his time on the snow will be limited by his exhaustion.

Any ideas gratefully received as this is a complete blank canvas moment!

Thank you !
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kaprun could be good if there is availability. Lessons normally start in the village itself and you can easily watch from the cafe at the bottom. He'll soon progress to the proper "mountain" in the village (Maiskogel) where again you can watch him whizz buy from the many restaurants/stubes. After that its up onto the glacier or over to Zell for more advanced runs... to be honest in the first week yo probably won't get past the Maiskogel.

It's not a big party town but has enough life an can be quite charming in its own way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zell am See has a lot more to do than Kaprun - I'm assuming that you're in plaster, so the big thermal baths complex at Kaprun might be off-limits for you this time around. Saalbach and Hinterglemm have beginners areas in the centre of the village, but I think you're going to be bored with watching him after the first hour, so you might want cafes, deckchairs in the sun, wellness massage/spa treatments etc, all of which are readily available. Put him into group lessons at the snowboard school and enjoy his enthusiasm when he gets back at the end of the afternoon.

Your main challenge might be finding somewhere this close to half-term, especially as you only want 3 days according to another of your threads. You won't really go wrong with almost any Austrian resort, though there is no point paying top-dollar for St Anton, Lech or Zurs in your situation. Soll, Maria Alm, Westerdorf, Ellmau and many other smaller places will more than suffice. Contact the Tour Operators and see what they offer. You can always come back on here and ask for the suitability of specific resorts. For accommodation, try local Tourist Offices (e.g. www.saalbach.com) but be aware that in high season, the reasonably-priced accommodation is usually only Saturday-Saturday.

Given the price of flights and lack of availability of accommodation, you might want to consider Easter instead.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all, have decided on Chamonix as it was a lot cheaper, mainly flight cost was the issue at this late stage to Austria. Thank you though, Austria it is next time Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey there,

Zurs is good for learning. A small and beginner friendly system, and also connected to Lech in StAnton... I learned there.

In my personal experience, I would not go to Chamonix or St Anton or Lech to learn.

Also, check out Flaine. Fantastic for beginners, and may be cheaper.

Good luck!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You are living up to your user name, @DisconnectedAG. The OP went to Chamonix. Fingers crossed they had a great trip. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello! I want to go to Austria soon too, and I am beginner snowboarder too Very Happy I like skiing a lot, but board is the whole new world for me. I learnt some tips from http://riders.co/en/snowboard/ website, and now I am keen to try everything in the field. I hope, I will not break myself Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy