Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I buy my own skis

Poster: A snowHead
After around 8 weeks of skiing, I'm now skiing down most runs and in most conditions - not fast but comfortably. I've had my own boots for the last few years, but up until now I've been renting skis, with variable and sometimes frustrating results. I hate waiting around in a hire shop, then not being sure if I'm getting the right skis. The last shop had issues finding a set of skis the right length where the bindings would adjust far enough to accommodate my child's size (according to the ski shop man) feet. (I didn't think that at size 5 my feet are that small!)

So, I'm starting to wonder about buying my own skis before I go skiing again in March. Last year in Tignes I spent a week skiing on a pair of 155cm Movement Gloss skis, which I really liked, and am thinking they might be the skis to go for:

http://www.movementskis.com/en/ski-collection/freeski-girl/gloss/

Do these look like sensible skis for an intermediate, who skis all runs in all conditions, and sometimes a bit off the piste?

I'm a bit clueless about how to buy skis. If I order skis online, am I best to get the shop to fit bindings? And, how do I choose bindings? Am I better off buying the skis online, then taking them somewhere local to get bindings fitted?

Any advice would be very gratefully accepted?

Thanks in advance,

SM.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edge and wax are probably the best online option inc mounting , usually have good stock of movement skis , which are a great brand , don't worry about have bindings mounted remotely as they do it all the time !, size 5 feet are not unusual ,
This 80/20 piste biased ski would be a great choice , especially as you already know how it performs

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/womens_skis-119.aspx
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sugarmoma666,
Quote:

I hate waiting around in a hire shop, then not being sure if I'm getting the right skis. The last shop had issues finding a set of skis the right length where the bindings would adjust far enough to accommodate my child's size (according to the ski shop man) feet. (I didn't think that at size 5 my feet are that small!)

Honestly I think you've answered your own question, particularly if you're familiar with the ski you want to buy. As Dabber said, fitting bindings is not a prob anywhere.

Happy Skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sugarmoma666, another vote for Edge and Wax.

Do think about the 'lugging' factor and potential costs if you fly though...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like the look of Edge and Wax but they don't have the skis I want in stock. Glisshop do - does anyone have any recent experience if them, including getting bindings fitted?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't no, the faff of carrying them around and transport/maintenance costs put me off. I have owned as have several others in my group, but we've all gone back to renting. That said we don't have trouble hiring (we prebook online which might be helping). aj xx
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If airline costs for transporting skis were better I would think about getting my own. But as I only ski max twice a year I stick with hire stuff. If its not right I take it back to the shop.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another one here who recommends getting your own skis, but budget for a ski bag with wheels. I bought my skis and bindings separately and got edgeandwax (local shop) to fit them. I personally hate all the faffing around with hire shops and have been given some really knackered old planks before.
If you have your own skis, you don't mind working on them mid week, a quick wax or a rub with Zardoz works wonders midweek for example.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you ski about 4-6 weeks on them even with servicing costs and ski carriage you won't be far off breaking even on hiring for 4-6 weeks. Hiring Boots and skis can be getting up to £100 for 6 days.

Really it's your choice. Personally I've got my own and I'm think getting a new pair of boots and skis for 2015. Had mine currently since 2006/2007

If you're not sure about buying skis I would certainly have a pair of boots fitted and bought, likely you will be far more comfortable in your boots than a hire shop pair.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666, I bought skis with fitted bindings from Glisshop about a year ago - I justified the purchase to myself as they were extremely cheap compared with anywhere else selling the same model! Delivery was very quick/also cheap, and I am really happy with the skis so far (they have their first outing to the Alps a week tomorrow but I have used them a number of times at the snowdome and have been very pleased) - would certainly recommend Glisshop from my experience.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sugarmoma666, I used to own, but have gone back to renting. The lugging of skis is a major pain, the cost of transporting them can be significant, and I usually ended up in the hire shop anyway with wife/kids/friends anyway. Probably just bad luck, but I always seemed to end up waiting at the large baggage reclaim for hours too.

That said, if I find a pair I really like then it would be sort of tempting.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu, Same here. Even if I had my own gear I would still be waiting for someone else at the hire shop.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugarmoma666, how do you get to the mountains? If you drive, it's definitely worth it. However if you fly, there is a significant cost and phaff factor involved in transporting the things. Ski carriage on planes is expensive, it's trickier to/from get to the airport if you use taxis and/or public transport, they often seem to take significantly longer to appear in baggage reclaim than normal luggage.

Although I own skis I've previously lived a couple of hours drive from skiing. This is my first winter schlepping them about on airlines and I've found it an expensive hassle. Despite already owning them I think it would have cost about the same to hire as to transport and maintain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sugarmoma666, give Scott a call and see what he can do , another good site is sail and ski , who also mount proficiently , please don't listen to the doom Sayers above , there is nothing better than owning your own skis and getting to feel at one with them , rental gear and the faff of pick up drop off , fitting , not having the right ski / length / poor service and inconsistent base quality , is far worse than carrying skis from carousel to taxi , £50 return for skis of your choice is better value than any rental deal , plus with the right ski bag choice you can do away with extra luggage charge so no dearer at all Toofy Grin
I use a snow board bag and get all my clothes and equipment in one Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugarmoma666, Don't do it.

If all that faff and expense of transporting them and servicing them wasn't enough you miss out on the fun of being able to hire different types / lengths etc according to conditions and/or your mood
ski holidays
It sounds like opinion is pretty well divided on this one. I'd held off buying skis due to the hassle and cost of transporting them, but found on my last trip the return ski carriage would have been £35, and on my trip in March it will only be £25. I'm pretty lazy, and tend to book packages, so the ski carriage doesn't seem to be too high. Coupled with my irritation with hire shops, that's swung me towards buying skis. The last hire shop had issues finding 155cm skis that had bindings that would go small enough to fit with my ski boots Puzzled

I have no issue at all sitting smugly in a bar/cafe whilst others run the gauntlet of the hire shop. In the past I've ended up spending over an hour waiting around to get sorted.

I think I might just go for it and buy some skis. Watch out for another thread appearing whilst I choose them Happy
latest report
sugarmoma666,go for it !!!!
ski holidays
sugarmoma666, yes but your friends might be the smug ones when you are lugging skis and other baggage at the airport, sometimes having to drop them off/pick them up at different luggage points and then again on the return plus transfers etc wink It can be a PITA at this end too, as they've got to fit into taxi or whatever.

If I only flew, I wouldn't have my own. We drive so it's not a problem. I have one ski trip when I fly and usually decide to leave skis at home. It's a good opportunity to try others too.

On the flip side it's great to have your own wink
snow conditions
Used to lug skis around, but a friend recommended some different skis which I hired, and realised technology had moved on and have never wanted to use my own skis since! If you own your boots I have found it only takes 5 minutes to hire skis. I have a short list of the skis that I might hire, length and waist, and have not been disappointed. I also have the opportunity to change them on a daily basis, if I don't like them or want something fatter. The skis that I bought were probably above my ability (too stiff), I suspect when you buy, you tend to overestimate your ability.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666, go for it...
You say that you mainly use a T.O. and as you stated earlier carriage costs are usually about 30 odd quid, much cheaper than renting. Folk complain about waiting longer for the skis to appear in baggage reclaim, but the bus transfer isn't leaving without you. Folk complain about the hassle of 'lugging' them to/from the airport, but you will be lugging them about far more on the hill during your holiday, whether you buy or rent. Also the extra kg that you can pack into your ski bag is a right bonus. You don't say how close you are to any chance of UK skiing, but if this is an option then it really is a no brainer. And they have a re-sale value too for when you want another new pair Very Happy
ski holidays
I certainly used to be in the camp of not wanting to lug around skis etc. However, as you define your skiing, and maybe establish one or two particular brands/models that you like to slide on, and then get frustrated that you can't always secure those from a hire shop, buying is the only option. I now have a pair following a great test at last year's EoSB.

No more concerns on hire availability. Lots of fun times ahead hopefully getting better at skiing on a familiar ski that is unlikely to date or disadvantage me through improved technology in skis generally.
latest report
Sounds like you're in the same position as me, so here's my experience...

I also bought my own boots after a couple of trips but continued to hire skis - with mixed results. Some I liked, some I hated. Some had edges, some just didn't. The year before last I decided I wasn't a beginner any more and to step up to some top price bracket skis and just loved them. The two trips last year I did the same, but got different makes/models and just never got the same feel/confidence in them so knocked up a spreadsheet. Long story short if I skied 2 or more weeks a year for the next 5/6 years I'd break even buying a pair of the skis I liked - that includes estimated baggage excesses and edging/waxing once a year.

Having just gotten back from my first trip out with my own skis I've got no regrets. The more I ski them the more I trust them and so the better I ski them. I went with a hard case and they aren't that heavy or hard to get around. Yes you have to walk them to/pick them up from the oversize bag drop area at the airports but you've probably got at least a 30 min wait for boarding/transfer anyway so not like you're ac tually going to be doing anything with those 10 minutes of your life!

I did notice owning your skis changes your skiiing style though. You start making turns when you see black things in the snow/brown patches rather than just going over them Smile

So if you can handle a little airport faffing and will be skiing more than once a week over the next say 7 years it makes financial sense. Just look at buying new ones at that point as ski tech will have moved on.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Sounds like you're in the same position as me, so here's my experience...

I also bought my own boots after a couple of trips but continued to hire skis - with mixed results. Some I liked, some I hated. Some had edges, some just didn't. The year before last I decided I wasn't a beginner any more and to step up to some top price bracket skis and just loved them. The two trips last year I did the same, but got different makes/models and just never got the same feel/confidence in them so knocked up a spreadsheet. Long story short if I skied 2 or more weeks a year for the next 5/6 years I'd break even buying a pair of the skis I liked - that includes estimated baggage excesses and edging/waxing once a year.

Having just gotten back from my first trip out with my own skis I've got no regrets. The more I ski them the more I trust them and so the better I ski them. I went with a hard case and they aren't that heavy or hard to get around. Yes you have to walk them to/pick them up from the oversize bag drop area at the airports but you've probably got at least a 30 min wait for boarding/transfer anyway so not like you're ac tually going to be doing anything with those 10 minutes of your life!

So if you can handle a little airport faffing and will be skiing more than once a week over the next say 7 years it makes financial sense. Just look at buying new ones at that point as ski tech will have moved on.

Nicely put.

Mjit wrote:
I did notice owning your skis changes your skiiing style though. You start making turns when you see black things in the snow/brown patches rather than just going over them Smile

Laughing
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Long story short if I skied 2 or more weeks a year for the next 5/6 years I'd break even buying a pair of the skis I liked - that includes estimated baggage excesses and edging/waxing once a year.

Having just gotten back from my first trip out with my own skis I've got no regrets.

Smile Horse for courses - I did the maths, got the same answer and thought that was WAAAYY too long to have to have the same skis Toofy Grin
snow report
red 27 wrote:
sugarmoma666, Don't do it.

If all that faff and expense of transporting them and servicing them wasn't enough you miss out on the fun of being able to hire different types / lengths etc according to conditions and/or your mood

+1 its great being able to try out latest skis for varying conditions.
ski holidays
I bought my own skis the year before they invented parabolics!
ski holidays
Ordered my skis last night from glisshop. Just checked, and apparently they've shipped already. Now to work out what bag to buy.
ski holidays
Ordered two pairs of skis on Monday afternoon 27 Jan received a telephone call from Glisshop within 1 hour and a follow up email confirming, skis would arrive on Friday 31 Jan or Monday 3 Feb, telephoned Glisshop on Monday afternoon asking if I could possibly have them delivered on Friday 31 as I am going on holiday on Saturday 1 Feb to Austria. Very helpful customer services lady say she will try her best, skis arrive today in Scotland 30 jan at midday and delivered straight away. Outstanding customer service from Glisshop.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At the latest count we as a family have a totally insane family quiver of 34 pairs of skis. So yes, buy some skis. Lots of them!
snow conditions
Great post & as always we all have reasons whether to buy our own or rent, all I can say is we are a family of five & we rent for our youngest daughter only because she is 14 this year, the rest of us have our own boots & skis. the main reason is we drive to resort, look to get there early Saturday am & get an extra day on the hill, no brainer!

I must admit though when I go to Ellis Brigham I do drool over the latest skis & wonder, what if?

But reality generally steps in!

If you are flying I can understand the extra aggro [but we used to fly with skis, pre-charge days mostly] but you can load your gear i ski bags Very Happy
snow conditions
sugarmoma666, the main choice in bags is whether to go for a hard case (high protection level, snug fit, not much room for stashing clothes in) or a soft case (lower protection but room to stash your gear). I opted for a padded soft case double ski bag. I can really load it up and the skis are well protected by all the padding of the surrounding clothes, I stick one soft snow boot over the tips and the other over the tails. If your budget can stretch to it I would pick one with wheels, especially if you are of a slight build.
Enjoy your new skis Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
And practice a steely glare for anyone who gets too close for comfort in the lift queue Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Long story short if I skied 2 or more weeks a year for the next 5/6 years I'd break even buying a pair of the skis I liked - that includes estimated baggage excesses and edging/waxing once a year.

I'd personally check them and if necessary get them serviced (wax, maybe edges) at least for each trip, rather than just once a year. I've got my own skis and am currently debating whether to replace them when they finally die, or go back to renting.
latest report
Mjit, did you factor into your spreadsheet a value for selling your skis on after 3-5 years??
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Mjit, did you factor into your spreadsheet a value for selling your skis on after 3-5 years??

Nope - it was really just an exercise in justifying spending £500 Very Happy

I just worked out how many weeks I would have to ski on hire skis before the cost of hiring was greater than the cost of buying, maintaining and transporting my own skis. I'm sure I could upgrade sooner if I chucked them on eBay to claw some cash back.

sugarmoma666 wrote:
Now to work out what bag to buy.

Much like the whole buy/rent debate this is personal choice.

I fly quite a lot for work and have seen the worst the baggage throwers can do so always go hard-case. Other than having not quite worked out the trick to getting skis in and the case together without a lot of noise and degree of swearing I'm happy with my SporTube case.
ski holidays
Rentals for me all day long adn we ski 2/3 times a year..always have the 'platinum' skis and part of the holiday is experiencing different skis in different conditions. spreadsheets also told me 4 years is about break even on costs but that would mean i was on 4yearold ski's - i like having the current season skis to see how technology is evolving.

One thing that would change my mind is if we went to austria and USA often, their hire costs are a lot higher than france.
snow report
I purchased my skis after 2 week long trips. People in France with £100 a week ski hire, on one week a year hols, ski hire may make more financial sense, but there are bargains to be had. I picked up some new skis for the cost of 3 holidays rental (i ski 10 day hols now), and actually dont mind navigating the airport the times we fly. From this year onwards, its 2 trips a year, 18-20 days skiing, one trip we drive, so it pays for itself in 3 years or less including baggage and as a family we wax and service our own as part of each trip, which to me means new skis every 3 years, new toys and haven't lost out, plus re-sale value bonus on top.

I'd say go for it. Im only a late beginner/ very early intermediate, just picking up the skills but getting round the mountain (on piste) without too much fuss, and i feel a lot more comfortable on day 1 on skis i've ski'd before. This want to have familiar skis may drop off as my technique improves, but certainly for now its brilliant. Also, it doesnt stop you hiring something different if you fancy it. I paid 18 CHF for a day on some snowblades for a laugh.

I'd say if you are balancing the books, its personal opinion on time it takes to cover itself, but if its about having familiar skis, in good condition, then go for it.

On bags, try them out. I prefer a non-wheeled bag as i find i have more control with them over my shoulder, but i'm used to carrying a massive heavy kitbag and ice hockey sticks, so i naturally want to pick it up. I just have to be careful to balance it when packing, so usually 1 boot each end...
snow conditions
The answer is always yes.

The real question is how many pairs you should buy.
snow report
If in doubt, don't bother
ski holidays
I think it helps if you buy your skis at a bargain. Got my head magnums for half price in an end of season sale.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I bought my own skis the year before they invented parabolics!

1954?? Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy