Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A snowball in Hell

Poster: A snowHead
Metalwork only counts if it stays in. Best of luck with recovery
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tiffin, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball, shall I be first? Were you wearing a helmet? Toofy Grin (ducks)!!
Seriously wishing you better soon what an ordeal, for me my worst nightmare would be being rescued by helicopter let alone dangling by a thread from it Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oof, hope it mends well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ouch. Sounds horrible but I'm glad you're on the mend already.

Cool photos.

I hope all goes well from here and a successful rehab.

Mike
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow - heal up fast!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow. I have no idea how much that must have hurt. Hope you heal up fast.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rofl at tiffin. Wow what an adventure you had, bummer that your skiing is finished for this year though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, ouch! hope you have a speedy recovery.

Quote:

Possibly the worst moment (though not that bad) was getting my very tight boot off (I struggle normally)!

did they take the boot off intact ? don't know what would be normal in this situation but cutting the boot off would surely minimise risk of further damage to the leg whilst getting it off. Would be a double bummer though - busted leg and trashed boot.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tiffin wrote:
Quote:

the helicopter returned with a long wire hanging under it which was attached to my package

Shocked

must have have made your eyes water. Get well soon.
Laughing Laughing

No, they didn't cut the boot open, just pulled it open as much as they could. Mind you, my boots are rather old and I'm probably due to buy new ones.

Yes, as someone said, the little rows of loops are staples.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 24-01-14 14:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very sorry to hear this, hope it heals fast and you have a good rehab and get fit for next winter.

It's no consolation now, but when I was recovering from a major op the thought of getting fit for skiing was a huge motivator when it came to physio and rehab. When it ached or when I couldn't be ar5ed the thought of not skiing again as soon as possible soon kicked in and I got on with it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blimey, that's a nasty break. Get back on your skis soon!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ouch!
Nice bit of engineering (or is it just carpentry? ) though. Is the other bone just being left to heal naturally? Can't see any screws in it. Unless your very unlucky that'll heal and you'll be back next season with scars to boast about at apres'.

ps.All other "I broke XYZ while skiing" posters please note, gore pictures in the first post are the proper way to start such a thread wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adithorp, quite right! (but he'll only have little scars, which is a shame when there's so much on the inside wink

snowball, please continue to let us know how you are getting on
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, oh shit, I'm sorry to hear about this, sounds like you got well looked after which is good, I always harboured a thought that hospitals around ski areas must have staff skilled with breaks working for them, so hopefully you have had a good job done. What do they do for the fibula, the x-ray shows the rod in the other bone, but the break in the fib appears un-mended? Will it heal up itself?* Anyhow, look after yourself, and be diligent with your physio and I hope you make a good recovery.

* just noted a parallel post above asks the same question!
snow conditions
snowball,

So sorry to hear this. You'll be gutted. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

(I often wonder as our skiing careers get longer how the odds against such common injuries stack up)

tiffin, Now that is quite some mental image...
latest report
tiffin wrote:
Quote:

the helicopter returned with a long wire hanging under it which was attached to my package

Shocked

must have have made your eyes water. Get well soon.

tiffin, Laughing Laughing

Sorry to hear that, snowball. All the best for the recovery/rehab Smile
ski holidays
get well soon

but it doesnt get you a team place for Sochi...
snow conditions
snowball,

That is rotten luck. I know from some of your previous posts that a lot of your skiing is somewhat adventurous, yet it is so often simple terrain where accidents happen.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
snow report
snowball,

The bruised rib injury picked-up in Les Arcs (first day / first hour) in March pales into complete insignificance.

Get well soon and hope the recovery / physio process is not too painful.
ski holidays
snowball, sorry to hear about your break, another get well soon and looking forward to your tales of derring-do (sp?) next season.

The bit about the boot just made me cringe!
latest report
Yikes....those X Rays look very familiar to me, the pre and post op.

I did mine in the April and was skiing the following Christmas, albeit a bit tentativly at first.

Don't stint on the movement and physio, but at your (our) age do be realistic about the speed of healing, as the doctor said to me "you are not 17".

Getting the screws out is not too big a deal, off games for a week or so after that, and the screws should be gone by next season.

If you want the pin out don't do what I did and leave it until the end of next season on the basis that the recovery time from that will put a stop to skiing for at least a few weeks. My pin got left too long and got stuck in place, at 3 hour operation involving a lot of pulling and tugging didn't shift it and it is with me for the rest of my life now.

I had some residual pain in my ankle for a year at least, but these days it is 100% fine, the only lasting effect are the memories.
snow report
Ouch!!! Looks very painfull, but as others have said, your now on the road to recovery and getting back onto those skis. Keep us updated with your progress!!!
ski holidays
rungsp, what would the reasoning be for taking the pin out? Nobody has said anything about that, though when I asked I was told that I could have screws out later if they were a problem.

Megamum, yes, they decided to leave the fibula as it will probably mend itself (especially being a high break).
latest report
snowball, I hope they are right, I just wondered how simple a fracture the fib was? I don't know sweet sod all about such things, but it just looked fairly damaged on the xray. Fingers crossed that it heels up fine for you.
snow conditions
100% sure you want the screws out....the ankle ones are VERY uncomfortable with a ski boot on! Took me all of 25m to figure that out....I had to abandon that day and down lift all the way....unskiable.
The short term solution was to hack some cavities in my boot liners for the screw heads to recess into.
Recovery time for screws is quick...couple of days on crutches, few more days of being careful.
I would strongly advise you to get that sorted before you ski next season (assuming all heals well....I'm sure it will)

The Swiss surgeon told me that pin out is better, though not such a bad thing if it remains.
Your natural bone has an elasticity which alows it to flex a surprising amount before breaking. He said that retaining the pin makes the leg stiffer than normal and under load it does not flex, that is all well and good, but under extreme load where your leg would have broken already it may simply shatter....and shattering is NOT good!

Can I also suggest that you are very attentive for any sign of a DVT.
Usual symptom is a specific point in your calf that is very painful to any pressure.
Your are very vulnerable to a clot breaking off from the bone break site in the first two to three weeks.

I was warned in Switz and felt one when I had been home a few days. My GP seemed very unconvinced but wrote me a letter to take to A&E. A quick ultrasound confirmed it...DVT. They put me on warfarin for a few weeks and all was well. A DVT is something you DO NOT want to leave to fix itself...if you are unlucky it could kill you.

I'd be flippin surprised if I ever put my leg under that kind of stress....but I don't ski the mega couloirs of La Grave like you do!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 24-01-14 18:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My fibula was broken up high and was left to mend itself...it did so.
ski holidays
rungsp, that sounds good news Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bügger! Sorry to hear that. Good wishes for a speedy recovery.
latest report
Make sure you get enough Vitamin D to aid recovery.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/528254-will-increasing-vitamin-d-help-broken-bones-to-heal-faster/

Strange that the binding didn't open.
ski holidays
snowball Hope you have a speedy recovery and these damn screws don't give you hassle.

Here's mine.. My Tib was smashed to bits! Took three attempts to 'set' it. This xrays is after the second attempt, the previous xrays make me feel funny when I see them as they're such a mangled mess!
Obviously the xray on the right is the finished product. I have problems with circulation in my foot now, and screws hurt like £$£"^ from time to time. They could be removed if I wanted though.

It's cool you don't need plaster though.

latest report
Wow that looks painful. It has certainly given me something to think about as I'm currently in Chamonix and the visibility is really poor. Ditto re comments that bones heal better then ligaments and double ditto re DVT. Ask about using aspirin as that make mitigate some of that risk. Hope you get better soon.
ski holidays
After op in France I was given a full month of self injection drugs for DVT - spoke to a friend/GP back home who said I was OK to forget them as I'd flown home and used them for a week - but I wouldn't make a good diabetic...........
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
adithorp, quite right! (but he'll only have little scars, which is a shame when there's so much on the inside wink

I bet you're already boring people with the pictures/x-rays on your phone, aren't you? rolling eyes

I've lost count of the number of times I've shown my deformed collar bone.
snow conditions
adithorp, We need to start a mutual appreciation society! I think I bored people ages ago Laughing
snow report
adithorp wrote:

I bet you're already boring people with the pictures/x-rays on your phone, aren't you? rolling eyes

Um yes. Embarassed

allanm Ooh, that looks nasty....(damn, it's worse than mine! wink )

rungsp Nobody said about DVT - though I got injections against embolism in hospital. I'll have to bear that in mind. When I go back to the hospital in 3 weeks or so I'll have to discuss the pin out thing.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 25-01-14 16:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowball, Get well soon. I confess I wasn't so far from doing something similar this week. Less snow = more ditches. Twisted Evil
latest report
snowball, I had injections to bring home from Austria. although the uk consultant said they weren't necessary I completed the course.

How are you managing. Have you seen the uk consultant and got a physio referral? There are some exercises you'll be able to do while non weight bearing to try and keep some quad strength. Also, if you haven't already looked into it, check to see if your travel insurance will cover private physio when you are fully weight bearing.
latest report
holidayloverxx, oh yes, so did I, so I injected twice out there, but the doctor here said didn't need to carry on with them.

The hospital gave me a physio referral and the Physio Department tried to give me an appointment but gave up and said they would phone me.... but haven't.
Private physio on the insurance? Never occurred to me. Hmm.

PS
I WAS, for the first time, wearing a helmet but forgot it doesn't protect the legs.
snow report
Yes, the self-injection drugs to guard against thrombosis seem to be par for the course in France - and have tiny, sharp, almost painless, needles which only the veriest wimp could possibly grizzle about. Compared to the sort of pain which a nasty fracture like that causes, it's not worth even mentioning.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy