Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Emily Sarsfield Olympic bid-please sign petition.

Poster: A snowHead
I just got this email from Change

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for supporting Emily. The response so far has been remarkable: we have passed 4,000 signatures, with messages of support from skiing fans across the globe, and are on the way to the next registered milestone of 5,000.

I spoke with Emily's sister Victoria yesterday and understand that, if they want to, the BOA can still change their decision. However, there isn't much time before the final deadline passes.

So, please pass the message on as soon as possible to anyone you know who hasn't signed yet, and encourage everyone to share the link. We need to get as many signatures as we can, as soon as we can. This definitely helps Emily's cause so thanks again and please keep up the good work.

Ollie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

where's Mr Goldsmith when you need him? I thought he was an ex ski journalist with contacts. And Bode Swiller? No idea what or who he is but he always comes over as somebody "in the know" where ski PR is mentioned. (OK, he might be a plumber with fantasies but you never know.)

Goldsmith is "taking a break" from SH.

Laughing at the Swiller comment. Wonder where he is? Maybe theres no fun in SH if he cant antagonise Goldsmith?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, maybe he's skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:
Shocked

Next you'll be telling me he's away with Badmin on a FreshTracks holiday
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Signed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Signed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Emily was mentioned on Ski Sunday this evening.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Petition just mentioned on Ski Sunday. Maybe a few more sigs, fingers crossed....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nineveh, Yup hope it puts the signatures through the roof though it might have helped if they had said where to find the petition!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Signed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
less than 200 needed now
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Share it with whatever social media sites you use as well as signing folks!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have the Olympic committee made any comment about whether they will consider a petition if it is signed by X number of people? Or could a petition be for nothing? 5000+ now
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sarge,
Quote:

less than 200 needed now

Needed for what? To hit some arbitrary and constantly moving target? While I fully support ES I don't for a second imagine that any petition with even 50,000 signatures would make the slightest difference. Even 50,000 only represents 4% of a typical audience for Ski Sunday.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu, that's exactly what I'm getting at. Will a petition make any difference? I don't get the impression that particular committee is likely to be swayed by public opinion. Anymore than demonstrators get what they want through most Governments. OK, a petition shows the strength of popular opinion, but what is effectively a referendum on a decision will only work if the organisation concerned has indicated a willingness to listen in the first place.
snow report
Signed.
snow report
Megamum, Indeed. I was agreeing with you Very Happy
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Will a petition make any difference?

At the very least it shows Emily that we're all on her side, and would love to see her representing Britain at the Olympics, even if the officials blocking her don't care.
latest report
miranda, +1
latest report
Signed and passed on.
ski holidays
I would love to see Emily go to Sochi, but to be fair, the BOA's policy in other sports (and this is also the case in various other countries, such as Australia) is generally that there is a limited amount of money, and generally only people with a realistic chance of getting a medal, or at least a top 10 finish, get selected. Looking at her results over the past couple of seasons (here: http://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/athlete-biography.html?sector=FS&listid=&competitorid=111934&type=result) she has on average come in at around 25th - 30th, with a few notable exceptions.

On the basis of performance alone - and IF the criteria is that to be selected on should have a realistic medal/placing chance (which I note is not in my view really in keeping with the Olympic ideal, but that's another argument) - it does not seem that she justifies a place.

The mind boggles as to why Chemmy is going though (again, personally I'd love to see them both in Sochi).
latest report
boardiac wrote:
Looking at her results over the past couple of seasons (here: http://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/athlete-biography.html?sector=FS&listid=&competitorid=111934&type=result) she has on average come in at around 25th - 30th, with a few notable exceptions.

The mind boggles as to why Chemmy is going though (again, personally I'd love to see them both in Sochi).

Quite. It's the unfairness of it that bugs people. And don't the Olympics bods understand that we need Brits to cheer on and shout for, even if they stand little chance of winning. Look at Eddie the Eagle! We love a trier. We want a winner but we'll love the plucky, but unlucky Brit as long as they give it their best shot. And I'm sure both Chemmy and Emily would. (Rant over Evil or Very Mad .)
ski holidays
Quote:
The mind boggles as to why Chemmy is going though

And there you've hit a nail on the head. Why should Chemmy get to go to Sochi when she has just come back from injury and not competed this season when Emily came 17th in the World Championships in November? It seems to be a contradiction. I hope Chemmy does well and it will be great to have a Brit to cheer on but I can't see how her place is any more justified than a place for Emily.
snow conditions
boardiac,
Quote:

there is a limited amount of money,
I'm confused by this as the BOA statements imply there is a financial aspect to this and yet ES is self-funded. Does the BOA still have to pay an entry fee or something to send ES to the games? Any idea?
ski holidays
Quote:

it will be great to have a Brit to cheer on

I had a smile on my face when I read that, I once sat in a medium-ly quiet bar in Switzerland one afternoon with the kids (where we were the only non-Swiss) audibly cheering Chemmy down a world cup slope to the astonishment of all the other folks in there Laughing
snow conditions
well, of course she HAS BEEN self-funded so far, but of course BOA (with money from govt, i.e. our taxes, and possibly some sponsors) pays for the actual cost of traveling to Sochi, hotels, clothing, security, etc. I expect you're talking a figure in the tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds per athlete. It may be that some or all of this might be covered by the host city (I looked for but could not find accounts of this on google)
latest report
bardic wrote:
BOA (with money from govt, i.e. our taxes, and possibly some sponsors)

Wikipedia (ever-reliable) says it's an independent organisation that receives no government funding. Is that not true?
snow report
Signed but how long will it be before a decision cant be reversed - or has it happened already?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:

Correct!
ski holidays
Quote:

the BOA's policy in other sports (and this is also the case in various other countries, such as Australia) is generally that there is a limited amount of money, and generally only people with a realistic chance of getting a medal, or at least a top 10 finish, get selected. Looking at her results over the past couple of seasonsshe has on average come in at around 25th - 30th, with a few notable exceptions.

On the basis of performance alone - and IF the criteria is that to be selected on should have a realistic medal/placing chance (which I note is not in my view really in keeping with the Olympic ideal, but that's another argument) - it does not seem that she justifies a place.

It appears that Emily's agruement is that since in ski cross a huge slice of luck is required, on that basis she does have a very good chance of a top 10, or even a medal. But since the BOA don't seem to understand her sport they haven't realised this, 34th in the world in a sport that has lots of crashes says "in with a shout".

The BOA being more familiar with events with less luck involved. i.e. the 34th best 100m spinter in the world would be unlikely to get into the Olympic quarter final, let alone the top 16 for a semi final and they have zero chance of making the final. But in ski cross you are only 2 races from a top 8 and people crash and fail to finish a lot.
latest report
If everyone took the attitude of the BOA there would't be an Olympics as each sports would have about 8 competitors and maybe only 30 countries would be represented.

Plus there is the rank hypocrisy of the Inspire a Generation tagline.
ski holidays
fatbob, well said
snow report
Emily didn't make the selection criteria set out by BSS/BOA, neither did Chemmy, but Chemmy' media presence is much higher. Both met the IOC selection criteria or were invited by the IOC on handback, as did other team GB people. I think it's madness and we should send as many people as we can who received an invite from the IOC or met their criteria.

Someone earlier or on another thread said the cost per athlete was £27k don't know if that is accurate, but if it is you can see why they want to restrict it to clear medal hopefuls but if that is the case there are some strange choices (XC for example).
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
Emily didn't make the selection criteria set out by BSS/BOA, neither did Chemmy...

Not sure that's correct. I think Chemmy reached qualification last season and AFAIK last season counts. Anyway, she put her doubters in their place yesterday.
Fingers crossed for Emily.
ski holidays
Quote:

It appears that Emily's agruement is that since in ski cross a huge slice of luck is required, on that basis she does have a very good chance of a top 10, or even a medal. But since the BOA don't seem to understand her sport they haven't realised this, 34th in the world in a sport that has lots of crashes says "in with a shout".
If every SH here understands that I really think it unlikely that the BOA winter sports selectors would fail to appreciate it. Whatever the reason is I don't think it's that one.
snow report
Maybe then their budget only ran to 56*£27k (or whatever the actual figure is) and the selection was purely down to cash.
ski holidays
Graham Bell on linkedin http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=263904875&locale=en_US&trk=tyah2&trkInfo=tas%3Agraham%20bell%2Cidx%3A2-1-2 who is apparently a 2nd connection to me Shocked I did meet him on work experience at BBC tv centre

Ed Leigh http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10367810&locale=en_US&trk=tyah2&trkInfo=tas%3Aed%20leigh%2Cidx%3A1-1-1
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
Emily didn't make the selection criteria set out by BSS/BOA, neither did Chemmy, but Chemmy' media presence is much higher. Both met the IOC selection criteria or were invited by the IOC on handback, as did other team GB people.

The only part of the BSS/BOA criteria that Emily failed to meet is the bit that says BOA will not accept handback places - all other result-based criteria were met. FIS have 32 quota places to fill, they need 32 competitors. Emily's results put her 2nd in line for a handback. BOA's refusal means that lower-ranked athletes will be competing when she's been denied a place.
ski holidays
HandyHand, Yep and they are applying it in an even where the lineup will almost certainly include handbacks at any games, people get injured and the top ski countries may have more in the top 32 than they can take because of quota rules!
snow conditions
signed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy