Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Scotland for a day - Advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, in the next couple of weeks I've a chance of work sending me to Thurso in Scotland.
So while up there if I throw my ski kit in and have a mid week day off, where should I head for?
My question really is, for a one hit, mid week wonder, which ski area is going to be my best gamble to score some slope time? It's not about what's closest etc as I would get there the night before, ski for the day then head back, it's all about the gamble on conditions.

What's my best safest bet to score snow? And I can't leave it to see what's best, I need to book the mid week day off a week in advance.

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
check which resort has the best snow and weather ... have skied most of them.... personally I preferred ben Nevis staying at fortwilliam... as if enough snow the back bowl may be open . just take care of the lifts lol they can be a bit tricky ... not like France or Austria
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually, jph123, i'm afraid you are too far north.
The Scottish Ski resorts are well described at Ski Scotland and WinterHighland.
Your nearest resort seems to be Cairngorm (Aviemore): 148 miles away, and will take you 3 hours according to Googlemaps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, yes I've looked at the distance, but company car and fuel not a problem, it's more novelty value. I'm based closer to the Chunnel than Scotland, so usually it's always French Alps. But having never been to Scotland I would love to add it to the "been there seen it done it box" as I doubt I'll be up there again for a few years.

And something very school boy esque about skiving off for a day to have fun!

Cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi jph123, Having skied at them all over the years my first piece of advice if you are of any standard then obviously don't go to the Lecht. After that i would advise checking out ski Scotland about a week before you are wanting to ski and check the runs that are open and the amount of snow at the other places. Next check out the weather reports for the week you are possibly going to ski in especially the wind speed and direction as this will would be my main factor when deciding what day and where to ski. Netweather, Snow forcast and winterhighland combined should give you a pretty good idea of what direction and speed the wind is going to be and take a guess from that. If there are good conditions everywhere then my personal preference would be Nevis or Glencoe and they are only about 30 mins apart so you can pretty much decide on the day which. Both have the better advanced skiing options in my opinion over Glenshee & Cainrngorm if you fancy something a bit more challenging especially if the snow is good. Glenshee has some great cruising pistes and plenty of runs if you fancy cruising. The only good thing about Cairngorm is you can say you skied at Aviemore in my opinion. Its usually busy and the most expensive i have found especially if the skiing is limited as they seem to be the last ones to discount their tickets even when the area is very limited.

Roly
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Roly, that's good advice, it helps narrow it down.

Cheers
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cairngorm seems like the only one doable for you for a day trip, you would be better going west as was suggested but is a lot more driving, cutting into skiing time.

Not much off piste at the moment at Cairngorm, wind and avalanche risk means the usual side piste or off the summit stuff are not possible, a bit more snow and a more stable snowpack by the time you go may make it a more attractive option.

Queues will not be a problem midweek.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nevis - http://www.mwis.org.uk/wh.php
Glencoe - http://www.mwis.org.uk/wh.php
Cairngorm - http://www.mwis.org.uk/eh.php
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cairngorm probably the best bet for you because of distance. I would book a midweek day, and if you have to book accommodation in advance, stay in Aviemore. Cairngorm is very close by, and Nevis Range is within reasonably short driving distance. Worst case scenario - both these centres could be closed due to wind - in which case there's plenty else to do in the area.

The Lecht is the least inspiring (except for beginners), and is currently closed due to insufficient snow. All the others are good for a day or two. At the moment all four other centres have good snow depths (for Scotland), with Glencoe and Nevis Range having exceptional amounts. Weather outlook is promising - so unlikely to be no snow at all when you go, and the west (and probably Cairngorm as well) will probably have good snow cover.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have skied in Scotland for years and like the others say cairngorm is nearest. I would drive down the night before and stay in Aviemore, there are lots of hotels and guest houses but I always stay in one of the hostels either SYHA which is just off Main Street or Aviemore bunkhouse which is next to a good pub Old Bridge Inn down by the river Spey both walkable to other pubs, shops, take always etc but book before you go as Aviemore is busy when there's snow even during week. There is also a SYHA hostel at bottom of hill to cairngorm called Cairngorm Lodge, it's quite remote you can't walk to pub or restaurant so take supplies with you or there is a tesco in Aviemore.
If going to Nevis range then stay the night before in fort William it's a lovely wee town 🎿😄
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cairngorm is the nearest, but I would always favour Glencoe if conditions are equal.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is also a SYHA hostel at bottom of hill to cairngorm called Cairngorm Lodge, it's quite remote you can't walk to pub or restaurant

Yes you can - you can walk to Glenmore Lodge and eat and drink in their bar. Glenmore lodge itself is another possibility for B&B accommodation too.
There was a thread at winterhighland on accommodation with a couple of replies from the SYHA on the Aviemore and Glenmore Youth hostels.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you can only do one and can be flexible enough to hit a good weather window I'd go for Glencoe. It's a longer drive but going down the night before to Fort William would ease the pain a bit. That then also gives you the option of Nevis or Glencoe depending on weather or going back upto Cairngorm. Winterhighland website and MWIS forecasts give a fairly good idea of what the weather might be. Also general info on conditions and opening.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice, very helpful and I'm really looking forward to the Scottish ski experience come rain, snow or whatever!

Does anyone know of a chain hotel ie Travelodge, best western, holiday inn etc that's close to any of the ski areas? I've 2 nights spare on my travel account from work (so free hotel accom) but it needs to be a main chain one. Anything within half an hour of the ski area would be great, but does this limit me to Fort William and Aviemore?

Cheers helpful Scottish skiers!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's best western and premier inn in fort William but Aviemore chains are hilton and Macdonald hotels.
ski holidays
Cheers, thank you.
latest report
Travelodge in FW too.
snow conditions
Nicked from winterhighland

Friday 24th January
FL: 3000ft. Snow
914m: 0°c SSE 30 gust 55mphSaturday 25th January
FL: 2000ft. Heavy Snow
914m: -2°c SW 25 gust 45mphSunday 26th January
FL: 2000ft. Heavy Snow
914m: -2°c SE 70 gust 100mphMonday 27th January
FL: 1500ft. Snow
914m: -3°c SE 25 gust 45mphTuesday 28th January
FL: Surface. Sunny
914m: -5°c NE 10 gust 20mph

Later in the week looks good it may be a classic scottish ski day.
snow report
For a hotel try The Highlander in Newtonmore, which is just off the A9. It's similar to a Travelodge. You can usually get a good deal on classicbritain.com, I paid £28pp a night for half board for 2 of us last Feb. It's 40 mins from Cairngorm and 50 mins from Nevis, add a bit more for Glencoe, and 1 hour 40 mins to Glenshee, so you can choose on the day where you want to go, depending on wind conditions, etc.
As has already been said, check http://ski.visitscotland.com/ on your phone for conditions. Have fun!
ski holidays
jph123, just be ready to encouter some interesting weather... Thurso-Inverness a fun drive... somewhat isolated!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy