Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confidence

Poster: A snowHead
Hehe - I've been there before with close friends, soldiers (buddies - they're the hardest) and family.
We'll be ok.

I'm good at the disconnect.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AsterixTG just to balance the debate a little Wink

IME helping your partner with the basics on top of normal group lessons works fine if, they want your help, you ARE an instructor, a good one, the learner is average or above, you are still in early drills stage and your relationship is not prone to drama (check: how are you at driving to somewhere under pressure - say a wedding. Tears and tantrums or helpful teamwork?). It's worth a try as long as at least one of you has a good sense of humour and/or a short memory! The major problems ime come from unqualified partners trying to 'help', skipping lessons entirely, and impatient or fiery natures. Its going to be wierd if she wants your help and you are like 'no, I cannot advise, you do as you think best' Wink

aj xx
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a.j., Great post.

As a married couple, we're cooler than you're fridge, my man.

I love teaching - I have the patience of a saint when it comes to skiing

Seriously - I'm going to get my missus blasting after a week. Drills will be everything!

Anyone else that disagrees has never had a killer instructor.

If I say so myself (bashfully).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 22-01-14 23:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, but your whole approach to this looks like a recipe for disaster to me, starting with the godlike plan I quoted earlier

Quote:

After three days, I'll let her have a day off - rest her legs, mooch around the shops and then she'll ski with me for the next few days and we'll potter about together - in Alpine heaven

If I were married to Murray Perahia and decided to learn to play the piano, would I want him to teach me?

Though if your wife does have lessons, whether group or private, with somebody else, you are going to have to refrain from telling her constantly how useless her instructor is.

Why don't you suggest she posts on here herself? Lots of people have recent experience of learning to ski for the first time - or of teaching beginners. She might come to your defence and assure us that you are not as insensitive as you seem?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w,

Awesome idea - I'll try and get her signed up in the morning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w,
You did see the bit where she wanted to do a morning then have two days off, have another lesson then, have some more time off.

3 days in a row is a victory for me!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'll try and get her signed up in the morning

Laughing Laughing Laughing There you go again...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pam - are some some kind of feminist where I have to let my wife have a direct line into what you're thinking so that I can lay in bed, but she's with you, fist raised, while knitting hemp into stuff?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pam - I'm experienced - she isn't. She's never been skiing - she's never been in the Alps.

What should I do?

I should get her signed up because I know you lot, being the good people you are, will convince her that she should actually spend the week having instruction - I haven't been able to do that as yet!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AsterixTG, I just thought that if she would like to talk to people on a ski forum she could probably sign herself up.... wink As to your question "what should I do?" my answer would be "step back a bit and give her some space to think things through for herself". Plenty of people who can't ski and have never been to the Alps before and don't have a husband who is at the 95th percentile of ski godliness have - remarkably enough - managed to organise their first ski holiday and had a super time.

The fact that you brand anybody questioning your "masterful" approach (and it's not just me) as some kind of feminist nutter "knitting hemp" is eloquent in itself.......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AsterixTG wrote:
Quote:

3 days in a row is a victory for me!

AsterixTG, but isn't this what is wrong with your whole approach (or at least as it coming over to me)? Skiing and her education and her agreement to ski, shouldn't be a 'victory for you' it should be an achievement for her Puzzled It might just be the inadequacy of the typed word and you are probably a great guy, but I think I'm glad I'm not your wife.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bloody hell!

My wife wants to learn to ski but has no idea what the best course of action is and thinks that a few mornings out of week's trip should do it. I can't convince her to have lessons all week but pursuade her to have at least three days in a row and I'm now a bad husband?

I wanted to help teach her so I get to spend time with her.

Have I slipped on to mumsnet by mistake?

I'll step out here.

Ski well everyone.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maybe she should take some advice from Donny Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/TOa037HJGb4?t=27s
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Megamum, lay off the poor bloke. In our world he's a saint.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AsterixTG, I've spoken to your wife and she says your a shit shag as well. wink

Welcome to the internet my friend. If you are lucky you will garner some info that is very helpful and could well solve your problem. Chances are that you will also come across some stuff that will wind your ass up. Stick around, ignore what you don't like, dig some more.

IMV she needs some private lessons of as short a period as is available and then a bit of time to practice what she has learnt on easy slopes, improving her technique and then some more lessons gradually increasing the incline of the slope as her confidence in her technique increases.

The secret with manipulating women is to do it without them realizing that you are trying to manipulate them. This is a great skill and one you may well need private lessons in.

I have to agree that the lessons should come from someone that is not her other half. I love my wife dearly but she can't tell me jack shit.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 23-01-14 11:43; edited 2 times in total
latest report
What a potty mouth!

Let's see how she gets on I guess - we'll both make a call that she's happy with.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 23-01-14 12:02; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
AsterixTG, oops.I edited a bit which now may make you want to edit a bit. Very best of luck BTW.
snow report
Guys thanks for some of the advice (some conventional some not so Evil or Very Mad )

Well tonight is our first 'fat-club' I have been looking at them Jillian Richard videos (30ds ones), some gentle exercise like that seem OK, unfortunately due to our 'work schedule' the obvious things like gyms are wasted because often i work away for 2-5 days a week, but doing some work at home that she / we can do in hotels/evenings might well work

The main reason for the private lessons in Scotland is purely for ease of location it costs me nothing to drive up there.. , I would love it (perfect world scenario) if by time we hit the foreign slopes that maybe just a day or 2 of local tuition / guiding will give us enough to do some simple runs
snow conditions
How about this idea. Pick a retaurant somewhere on the hill and agree that you are going there for lunch or an afternoon snack/drink or whatever. Make getting to the place the object of the exercise and NOT the skiing in itself. Doesn't matter how well or stylishly you ski, just get there. I found that plotting the route and sitting on lifts working out where we were going, was a good distraction from the steepness or iciness of the pistes.

I also found that "Ok, one more lift and we're there" is an amazing motivator. Seemed to worked on nervous partner and younger kids equally well for me.

AsterixTG - seriously, act as a ski guide and do the navigating, don't even attempt to teach your other half.
snow conditions
Quote:

seriously, act as a ski guide and do the navigating, don't even attempt to teach your other half.

+1
snow report
AsterixTG, just noticed your location is Dubai, can your wife have some lessons there in the indoor snow dome?
snow report
That has been discussed - just a case of whether she can get the time. Weekends are hell there with evenings not much better as it's high tourist season at the mo.
snow report
I've had great success helping my last two girlfriends. One had a lesson with an instructor for a day and nearly gave up after that! A nights sleep and she was skiing easy runs around the resort by the end of they day. The other had skied but not since she was a kid. I just took it easy, didn't try to offer too much advice and tried to make things reassuring and fun. IMV people that are confident and having fun are much more likely to try things out than someone having orders barked at them (which I've seen happen between couples!).
ski holidays
Thornyhill,
Quote:

You need to forget that she is married (to you) and treat her the way any good instructor treats single ladies......erm....OK - I'll stop now

Well, that's the theory. It's my experience that i'm, in no way possible, treated like an instructor! rolling eyes
snow conditions
My advice would be to try to emphasise that when you are learning you WILL crash, but that being big or small doesn't affect anything, and crashing can be fun and funny. Bad injuries don't happen in low speed learner prangs. Stick to the rules, look up before you set off and things will be good. 2 weeks ago I ran out of talent at 50 mph (snow tracks) and got nothing more than a bruise. By a long way, most bad accidents in terms of injury, on piste, happen in collisions with other skiers. I ski as I ride my motorcycle. I look around me a lot, and behind me a lot. If I see fast guys about I just let them go.

PS. if it helps, I'm 6'2" and 105kgs
ski holidays
thecramps, I disagree with a number of those statements. IME slow speed twisting falls are often the cause of serious knee injuries (or in the case of my sister in law a broken leg, which happened when her icy skis stuck fast to the off ramp of a chairlift in New Zealand and she toppled over).

And whilst accidents on piste can certainly involve collisions (one broke my pelvis last year) plenty of people fall and injure themselves unassisted by others - I don't think most accidents are collisions.

I also feel it's bad advice to suggest a beginner keeps looking behind them to see who's coming. Much better to look where they are going, keep a steady line, not stop in the middle of the piste and not try to work out how to evade somebody whizzing down at 40 mph behind them on a busy piste.
latest report
pamw I disagree with a number of those statements. IME slow speed twisting falls are often the cause of serious knee injuries

Agreed. Mate of mine got heli'd off after a very , very slow fall when her ski tips got wedged into a stream bank and she lost balance ever so, ever so slowly.
So slowly, in fact, that the bindings did not release before one of her knees gave way.
Ouch!

( I really should stop sharing these gore-stories!
Seriously, skiing is safe most of the time Skullie )
latest report
Tomahawk Tone, Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked grim.

Also had a few nasty falls at slow speeds, including one where I ended up with a nasty slice to my leg falling and landing on the ski edge - not good.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
London_Falcon wrote:
Pick a retaurant somewhere on the hill and agree that you are going there for lunch or an afternoon snack/drink or whatever. Make getting to the place the object of the exercise and NOT the skiing in itself.
I also found that "Ok, one more lift and we're there" is an amazing motivator.

Good point Smile that's mostly how we ski anyway, so never though about it, but our nervous folks are much better with an aim - too easy to chuck in the towel if you are just doing laps as it seems so pointless.
snow conditions
pam w, My point was to try to give her confidence rather than scaring the bejeesus out of her. Yes of course you can get injured at low speed, but if you fall it is by no means guaranteed. In fact low speed falls often result in nothing more than bruised ego. IME, listening to new skiers when we are on holiday, most are unnerved by other skiers, so best to try and avoid them, and find lulls in traffic, and a little awareness about who is around you is just common sense I would have thought.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy