Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip up to Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Gaza, your lad's looking good - I love that determined uphill arm! (I kept forgetting that last week..... Embarassed )

I don't think anybody has yet mentioned that as well as having to look out for the right conditions it's MUCH better to go for a couple of days midweek than at the weekend.

medlington, that's a very sad tale! Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meh, yeah your right however Im going to find it very hard to give a balanced opinion of Scotland now as my first trip there was such a complete disaster. Ill say one thing though they have a fine selection of whiskey up there and the locals were very helpful people
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Errr....that would be whisky! Ouch. Feel sorry for your friend and his lost phalanx. And skiing with shingles of the foot. Sounds sore too, although not as terminal. There are steep bits of cairngorm but the lift company have spent the last 20 years systematically making them harder to leave without touring equipment and signposting away from them so I'm not surprised you missed them. Also very steep off piste couloirs in the next coire. Local knowledge always helps snowHead

Still waiting for a decent looking weekend. Looks like another foot or so coming next weekend again. It would suit a lot more people if the weather systems could sort it out to paste the mountains all week, then leave a gap at the weekend! Looks like only a brief respite from the snow for Glencoe on weds/Thursday before the next PM low thumps in fri-sun. More time looking at models (weather) than on the slopes in the short term.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
medlington, check out a group on Facebook called British Backcountry. You'll see a glimpse of the type of skiing in Scotland that is not perceivable to most tourists that only see the centres.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
medlington wrote:
meh, yeah your right however Im going to find it very hard to give a balanced opinion of Scotland now as my first trip there was such a complete disaster. Ill say one thing though they have a fine selection of whiskey up there and the locals were very helpful people

no offence but after that tale i never want to be in your vicinity. that is a horrible tale but don't let it put you off. like everyone says if you get the right day scotland can be fantastic
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Gaza, your lad's looking good - I love that determined uphill arm! (I kept forgetting that last week..... Embarassed )

Very Happy

Thanks pam. He is loving his skiing. :sH :sH I can't believe it has only been a year since he first put skis on. He is thoroughly looking forward to Val d'Isere in 10 days time. So am I if the truth be told.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
medlington, the stretch of M74 between J14 and J16 is close to where I stay. It's a notorious bit of road as it gets heavier rain than further south because it's surrounded by hills and doesn't get a 3 lane motorway's worth of traffic to spray accumulations of standing water away. Aquaplaning incidents leading to prangs or worse occur there pretty much every month (and sometimes several times in a day) and I've witnessed cars and vans spin there myself so it's made me become one of those PITA's driving at about 50 mph whenever it's raining even if I can't see standing water. I also stay well clear of the BMW's doing 80 and 90 so as they don't take me out at the same time !! Toofy Grin I'm quite surprised you ended up in Biggar after that incident though, as Moffat should have been closer ...

Anyway, sorry you had a shite time. And better luck if you have a change of heart and decide to have another go. Little Angel

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 28-01-14 23:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
medlington, shockingly awful story, but surprised you found Cairngorm "far too flat". I think most of the runs deserve their grading (except some blacks should be red, and some greens should be blue), and flat bits don't really spring to mind - seems more like Glenshee, where there are lots of linking runs.

Hope you get a chance to go again at a more ideal time weather-wise, and have a bit more luck getting there in one piece (literally).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
medlington, that's a story to tell the grandkids indeed. Can't help but wonder did you get the funicular back down? Coz it sounds like you stayed up in the ptarmigan bowl at the top, which is a flat area ideal for beginners.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't help but think that medlington's near death experience on the M74 has made everything else in life seem like a piece of cake. I would struggle to describe the White Lady and M1 as flat. As there was nothing open above the train it can't be that either.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, yeah we saw a car on its roof on the way back not too far from where we had our incident so can imagine it happens alot. I think the lady in the services did say there was somewhere closer than Biggar but she recommend we go there as it would be more lively.

As for the runs that were 'flat' I really was miles away when we actually got skiing so wasnt paying much attention to the names of the runs but they were basically the ones with the snowpark on which did seem really flat, and the run down to the T-bar from the funicular, although I think I missed the red down as you couldnt see anything when we came down that and I didnt want to head up the funicular again due to the queues and the weather at the top so maybe that run would have been more to my liking. I did enjoy the run next to the far button lift although not sure if it actually was a run as kept coming across large rocks in the snow so it may have been off piste.

If Scotland continues to get snow like they have this year then I may well get tempted to have another crack at it, but I wont be traveling with that couple again, think Ill get the train.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy