Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend trip advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

Myself and 2-3 friends want to go on a quick weekend trip skiing and are looking for advice.

We're based in Manchester so flying from here would be ideal, however a lot of the ski weekend packages online are from London.

We're looking to minimise time off work (isn't everyone) and also we've all been away for a week already... so 2 days is preferred, would consider 3 days for the right reasons, and 4 days only as a last resort.

Most of the packages are for 4 nights, and very few for 3 nights (and again, the better/cheaper ones are from London).

We did think about just booking flights ourselves (Friday evening - Sunday evening), the trouble with this is then accommodation. I can't find too many places online which will take people for just 2 nights as most are geared towards weekly lets.

I vaguely considered just staying somewhere like Geneva and hiring a car and driving to ski resort in the mornings, but then we wouldn't get the atmosphere or be able to do Apres ski etc ...

I've thought about Morzine or La Clusaz mainly (close to Geneva and I've just been to Morzine so am familiar with it).

Basically looking for other people who have done this short a trip before to share experience and knowledge? Any help appreciated!

Thankyou.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sadly most of the really useful flights are from London or Luton airport. We have done a few weekends and planning a couple this year. These are the trips we have done before

1/ Luton to Milan Friday evening, hire car and drive to Gressoney and stay in hotel there. Fly back on 21:30 flight on Sunday evening. Champoluc is another option.

2/ Luton to Geneva Friday evening, hire car and drive to Crolle and stay in hotel there (20 minutes from La 7 Laux). Fly back on 21:30 flight on Sunday evening

3/ Luton to Geneva Friday evening, hire car and drive to Aime and stay in hotel there. Fly back on 21:30 flight on Sunday evening.

4/ We have done the the same as 3/ but stayed in Les Arcs.

As you say accommodation is the key, but there is plenty in Cluses and the Grenoble area, once again only a short drive from Flaine
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at this, run by a snowhead (miranda):

http://www.chalet-la-giettaz.com/

I've been there a few times now and I think it's great. There are various glowing reviews on here from others who have stayed there if you do a search.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can get short stay apartments - try calling Erna Low and seeing what they can find. We did this in Les Carroz (Flaine) a few years ago and used to regularly go to Austrian ski amade resorts which are not so tied into the weekly schedule (Salzburg flights). I've always done DIY for short breaks, more flexible, you just have to get the transfer numbers good, so stay near airports in terms of resorts!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a similar dilemma last year trying to fit a short trip in before my main week away.

I ended up booking my accommodation through Airbnb and it was fab. I got the whole lower floor of a chalet on the edge of Morzine for me and my brother. And Morzine is obviously only a short transfer from GVA which is a real bonus.

Finding short term accommodation is very difficult. I've organised a few weekend trips for work too and you do have to make sacrifices.

Other places I've used are Hotel Rhodedendrons in Plagne 1800 and Hucksters in Les Arcs. Both very reasonable and offer shorter packages at not unreasonable prices.

I have previously considered renting a car and commuting in each morning from Geneva but Geneva is pretty expensive and the drive just sucks the fun out of an already short trip if you ask me....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are flying Manchester to Milan. Car hire driving to sauze D'oulx. Lots of b&b options for weekend breaks. We're doing four nights but could easy do three.

Flights, car hire and four nights b&b £212!! Flying Ryanair.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are flying Manchester to Milan. Car hire driving to sauze D'oulx. Lots of b&b options for weekend breaks. We're doing four nights but could easy do three.

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thankyou everyone for the responses, some useful info and lots of food for thought!! SmileSmile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manchester to Munich, then somewhere like Garmisch or Niederau?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shazchip, I've done a lot of weekend trips and not had too much trouble finding accommodation. Even at peak periods.

A lot of resort websites will have online bookable accommodation information. I booked a long weekend in Cervinia that way.

Over Christmas just gone I booked 3 nights through www.booking.com in les arcs and that worked well. Just search on a resort name with your given dates.

Memory fades how I booked all the others Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shazchip, easy jet to gva , out early Friday am , ski 1/2 day , then sat and Sunday all day , back on the 20:50 , sorted , practical to ski anywhere within a 2.5.hr transfers

Mountain sun in tignes do great all in packages , also morzine , les gets , chamonix etc ..........
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thankyou Snowheads. I'm glad I found this website! Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shazchip, on Jan 10-12 I did a short trip to Germany.

I took an evening flight to Munich (from LHR), stayed in a hostel there near the main station, and took the train on Sat and Sun to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The hostel was 18 euros a nght, and the train and lift pass was a combined ticket for 44 euros a day. It went very well., and I am going again Feb 28 - Mar 2, doing the same.

I have had a quick look at the flights from Manchester. There is an Easyjet flight on Fri 07/02 at 13:00 to MUC, returning Sun 21:40. You could then go on to Garmisch and stay there, or stay in Munich. There are several other ski areas close to Munich reachable by train in less than 90 minutes, including Brauneck and Sudelfeld. The train and lift pass cost is the same to these two, also 44 euros.

Garmisch train and ski ticket

Alpen Plus (German only), other resorts near Munich
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flights from Manchester to either Salzburg or Munich. Doing exactly that in March. Early morning Saturday flight to Salzburg, ski half day Saturday, all day Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, late flight back from Munich on Tuesday night, staying in Ellmau in the Skiwelt. There is a group of six of us and hiring a car for the duration.
ski holidays
Don't be tempted to take an early morning flight instead of the late evening flight on account of price. IMHO it is much better to arrive late in resort, pay for the extra night's acommodation and wake up fresh the next morning than get up at 3.00am and worry about getting to the slopes that morning when you'll still be half asleep anyway.
snow conditions
Quote:

I have previously considered renting a car and commuting in each morning from Geneva but Geneva is pretty expensive

there are places to stay much closer to the slopes and much cheaper than Geneva - Sallanches, for example. Easy reach of Chamonix, Flaine, Combloux/Megeve etc.

If you can get sensible flights to Innsbruck that would work - plenty of buses to resorts and a lively town more geared up to short stays than many.
latest report
Hi shazchip,

If you'd consider a last minute option we can do you a deal on Thur 6 - Sun 9th Feb in either chalet Genepi or Bon Vie.

Flights aren't included but it sounds like that might be best for you anyway as that gives you the choice of where to fly from. Details via the link below if you want to get in touch . . .
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

If you can get sensible flights to Innsbruck

That's the problem. You need a bigger airport like Geneva, Munich or Zurich that has lots of scheduled flights to be able to get evening departures for both legs of the journey.
snow report
Yeah flying to Munich is a good idea (cheaper than flying to Geneva) and the ski-train pass is a bargain, great info thanks nigelg

Snow and Sunshine - thanks for the offer but that's too soon, I only just came back so looking for next hol to be end of Feb Smile

I actually really want to go back to Morzine (because it's fresh in my mind, familiar town, and I feel I missed some of the runs I wanted to do) - so those who suggested booking.com and airbnb, I've had a quick look and you're right, there are options. Fantastic.

So many ideas.. this is def going to happen Smile
latest report
Hi - I would defo recommend the train. I've done ski weekends to Garmisch the last two seasons, skied til the last lift (5pm), jumped on the train and got to Munich easily for a 9pm flight home.
Innsbruck is great too (even closer skiing) but may not be Manchester flights.
Fairly handy map here showing how ski resorts link with airports and the rail network http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
and app version here https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-alps-ski-resort-rail-map/id610342489?mt=8
ski holidays
Quote:

I actually really want to go back to Morzine

You'll fine Morzine (and the whole area) extremely busy through the French holiday time mid February to mid March.
snow report
Quote:

so looking for next hol to be end of Feb

Sorry we're fully booked for end Feb but hope you find something which suits - have a great holiday.
snow report
Tiger2 wrote:
Don't be tempted to take an early morning flight instead of the late evening flight on account of price. IMHO it is much better to arrive late in resort, pay for the extra night's acommodation and wake up fresh the next morning than get up at 3.00am and worry about getting to the slopes that morning when you'll still be half asleep anyway.

What time would you get to resort if flying late evening ??? Probably midnight if lucky , then can't sleep due to excitement etc , so think you'd still be half asleep and £££'s worse off ,,
Plus flight delays later in the day are much more difficult to catch up on

Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy