Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term ski deals Single Mum & 7 yr old novice&intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
I have been to Bansko, not sure which of the Bulgarian resorts you are considering. I have the option of going again with free s/c accommodation yet we haven't. We went at new year which is the worst time to go the queues to the gondola were awful and it wasn't much better when we got on the hill. You have a very long transfer from Sofia and the ski area isn't huge. My parents haven't long got back from there (landed back on the 18th), there were only 5 runs open due to the lack of snow.

Not sure what half term is like in terms if how busy it gets we did consider going in the past but half term conflicting with some World Cup races in the past (haven't checked for this year) and we couldn't get affordable flights.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ghost Dog wrote:
I'm trying to find something affordable going out 12 April from Scotland, not easy, flights are best part of a grand and TOs have nothing affordable from Scotland, not much left anyway. Aaargh.

Could you look at what I was hoping to do as compromise .......drive to the cheaters airport and stay over night in maybe a Travelodge and pay parking? Parking isn't nearly as bad as I expected! Stanstead for example was a fiver a night if booked with the flight. Although I seem to have missed out on that trio now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can confirm the chalet I mentioned yesterday...with the room.....they've given the room to someone with 3 in their party. Despite having offered it to me and my son first. They'd said if there were 3 then great, but otherwise really hoped we join them!! I had already said I'd book...no questions asked....was on flights too. Totally unethical...they've just texted back after my sending 3 messages saying wed confirmed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alyefs, just do a search on Igluski or Crystal website, 1 adult, 1 child flying from Manchester half term week, loads of results. Or am I missing something (sorry haven't read the whole thread)...?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ghost Dog, there would be plenty of self-catering accommodation available in the French resorts - and at low prices as it's low season. Some reasonable looking flights Glasgow - Geneva on 12/19 April. £128 plus baggage isn't bad! You could get an apartment sleeping 4 - 5 for around £450 in Les Deux Alpes with guaranteed late-season skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
alyefs, just do a search on Igluski or Crystal website, 1 adult, 1 child flying from Manchester half term week, loads of results. Or am I missing something (sorry haven't read the whole thread)...?

That's ok Smile and Thankyou....yes have searched those. It's early days for deals. Crystal actually nothing left at all for half term. Just a room for £4 in Austria! Will be giving that one a wide berth Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Ghost Dog, there would be plenty of self-catering accommodation available in the French resorts - and at low prices as it's low season. Some reasonable looking flights Glasgow - Geneva on 12/19 April. £128 plus baggage isn't bad! You could get an apartment sleeping 4 - 5 for around £450 in Les Deux Alpes with guaranteed late-season skiing.

That is a really good price!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alyefs, I assume you don't want self catering? There's loads of that on Crystal website for half term week, plus a few chalets and hotels too. But none of it is discounted at the moment. I guess anything that's still available might get discounted the week before if you are brave enough to wait.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, I'd self cater if we were a larger group. Spend most days and evenings alone. Would be nice to at least have a social aspect to look forward to.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
alyefs, week before if you are brave enough to wait.

Yes am brave enough. Everything is in place to be able to go Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'd self cater if we were a larger group

I agree self-catering is not ideal for a parent and child - I was thinking of Ghost Dog. As he said that flights were "a grand" I assumed he had a big family to pay for!

TOs are not good for self-catering IME - you either have to fill up the apartment (which will inevitably be a squash) or pay "under-occupancy" charges which make it hard to compare different offers.

There are endless numbers of very good self catering options in France, including "all inclusive" deals with lift passes and ski hire which are fantastic value for families once the French winter holidays are over (mid March).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'd self cater if we were a larger group

There are endless numbers of very good self catering options in France, including "all inclusive" deals with lift passes and ski hire which are fantastic value for families once the French winter holidays are over (mid March).

Indeed there....I'd bite their hand off if I was prepared to the face the school's Head Teacher. Our LA are uber strict.

You're right about the self catering being better for slightly more experienced groups, or bigger families perhaps. Only my opinion.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alyefs, could you get some friends together for a trip at Easter? I know you really wanted half term but personally, though I have an apartment in France, I can't bear the queues and the crowds.

Have you tried Snowcoach? Their chalet hotel in Valmeinier had lots of kids in it when we went there with a group, some years ago, and they do early kids tea with a kids playroom for later, when adults eat. Worked well, and very good value. Very close to the slopes, ideal for kids lessons - and plenty of skiing available with Valloire. Worth keeping an eye on what comes up there in the next couple of weeks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

As he said that flights were "a grand" I assumed he had a big family to pay for!

Nope, flights in Half term are ridiculously expensive EJ want about £500 per person to anywhere useful as a starting price.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, it's a consideration.....if they drop their prices nearer the time. Looks pretty rigid to me. Nearly £1400 for 3/4 board/accom only. Plus coach or flight...lessons, kit etc etc.

The one I was duped out of would have been affordable. Flight and catered accom for both came in at £1300
snow conditions
I am sure if you wait and keep a close eye on the deals you will get a week on the snow for that money, possibly at someone else's expense (people to drop out last minute for lots of reasons).

Check the deals regularly and use the phone as soon as you see one that looks nice come up, don't rely on the t'internet alone, use the phone.
ski holidays
ansta1, Ghost Dog was looking for April, not half-term. whole different kettle of fish.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
ansta1, Ghost Dog was looking for April, not half-term. whole different kettle of fish.

must have missed that bit, apologies.
ski holidays
You know, I thought some space in a catered chalet in Megeve for your time period, was slope side, and nearly on top of the ski school... will see if I can find that back.
latest report
just had a quick search and Crystal have some half terms deals (half board in Austria flying from Glasgow) for around the 1k mark for 1 adult and 1 child including flights and transfers. Lift passes, hire and lessons may blow the budget a bit, but that's without any discounts or further reductions nearer the time..
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
pam w wrote:

must have missed that bit, apologies.

Possibly mine and Ghost Dog's queries are overlapping Wink he wants April...I want half term. All advice useful!
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
You know, I thought some space in a catered chalet in Megeve for your time period, was slope side, and nearly on top of the ski school... will see if I can find that back.

Very kind, Thankyou. Will definitely give it thought...depending on flights. They're almost double to Geneva than Turin...where we almost booked to

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 27-01-14 17:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
ansta1, good advice re the phone....I've even been bypassing the internet and phoning straight. Easier than tapping all the departure and destination combinations! Smile
latest report
Surely this can go to six pages by bedtime.
snow report
igLou, Laughing

alyefs, we are all getting a real blow by blow account of this now wink I do hope you find something soon snowHead
snow report
alyefs,

How were the flights to Milan and Venice, RyanAir? Italy has tonnes of snow atm, should a last minute pop up there. I just rebooked us into Italy instead of Swizterland, because I've always wanted to go, and the snow there is great. Allbeit, availability of catered chalets is fewer...

People say Swizterland is expensive, but depending on where you go, especially with a child, it isn't necessarily so, as lots of Swiss resorts let kids of your age ski for free, so already there you pick up some savings. That would open you up to flights into Zurich, or even Basel, as the train connections are very good, and Basel is only an hour of so to Zurich. In fact, tonnes of nice resorts along the train routes. So maybe you pay more for catered chalet bit, but you win on ski passes and transport? Just thinking out loud with the spreadsheet.
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam, I didn't check the alternative Italy airports, the group I was due to travel and stay with were flying to Turin, that's where the transfers were from. Almost booked flights last night. Good job I didn't.
I'll certainly check out the other airports. Away from a France is possibly better...with them being on holiday at the same time. Food and drink wise we don't have expensive tastes...
Chalet style hotel is fine too. Don't really care for the fine dining....cook the damn stuff all the time. But it seems to go hand in hand with catered chalet. Yes you're right re passes for the popular resorts!
ski holidays
Have you had a look at skidirect? There look to be a few reasonably priced holidays to resorts in Austria, flying from Gatwick, but not till 16:15. For example:
http://www.directski.com/ski/austria/niederau/hotel_harfenwirt#Kids
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sugarmoma666, yes looked at those...they're all sold out for the 15th Feb.
snow conditions
no...I stand corrected. You're quite right. That is pretty darn good! Especially since some one told me how good the kids ski school is there...
Although per person....£1600 before anything else....would look at that the last week before half term.
ski holidays
If you wanted to wait till April Esprit have 1 adult, 1 child in Les Arcs 2000 for £999, this will include flights, transfers, breakfast, afternoon tea, 4 course dinner and wine. Just add on ski hire and lift passes and a little spending. If you make a few snacks up over breakfast you won't need to spend money on lunch.
latest report
I'll never convince OH to go self catering skiing again. Tempted by half term with Crystal from Glasgow, but was out at NY aand last week, really a bit too soon and it would then be a looong wait for summer. Weirdly, Booking.com suddenly have tons of rooms in Soelden and Obergurgl for the week of 12 April, flights with EJ to Munich ar about £900 for 4 with 3 bags and skis. May just sit tight and watch the snow, or maybe Crystal wil suddenly offer St Anton at half term for a fiver Smile

Crystal do have allocated on arrival in Soll for decent price (half board or full) but can only really book one room that way or may land up at different houses Sad
snow conditions
Ghost Dog, lufthansa have flights for under £900 (based on 2 adults and 2 children) from Glasgow to Munich (via Duesseldorf) on the 12th April. This include baggage allowance and ski carriage should it be required.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'll never convince OH to go self catering skiing again

Renting an apartment doesn't stop you going out and sampling a different restaurant every evening!
ski holidays
Quote:

alyefs, we are all getting a real blow by blow account of this now I do hope you find something soon

I just read the last two pages hpoping to see some sort of resolution. Nope. Just totally wasted 10 mins of my life!

alyefs, do you agonise over everything in life? Must be exhausting if so!
latest report
Ski Power offering 'all inclusive' deal to Les Deux Alpes 15th Feb. Not sure whether they offer childcare. Price £850pp but includes the following (pasted directly from their email):
Offer is based upon 2 sharing a Standard room.
Accommodation will be at The Hotel Farandole in Les Deux Alpes, 3 star including free access to large swimming pool. The All Inclusive option INCLUDES:
Ski Pass - 6 days per person
Equipment Hire - 6 day Budget pack - Upgradeable
Half Board on 6 out of 7 nights
Drinks between 4pm and 10pm -draught beer, wine and soft drinks
Airport Transfers - from/to Grenoble airport, fixed time coaches.
Included in both Bed and Breakfast and All Inclusive options
Breakfast Every Day
Free shuttle to the slopes - centre of town 5 mins away on foot
Free Swimming Pool Access (in the Hotel)
Free Sauna, Steam Room and Hot Tub.
ski holidays
kat.ryb, completely. Although much is out of my control. I accept and move on. The forum is such a brilliant place for advice.... Especially for the nervous ski holiday novice. Have a great day Smile
latest report
alyefs, deal just popped up on Esprit for the 16th in Tignes - 16/02/2014 Chalet Alaska in Tignes, 1 adult & 1 child £1299!
ski holidays
alyefs, That deal sounds a bargain I would grab it!
snow report
Thanks guys! It's flying from Edinburgh. We could only practically get to Liverpool or Manchester or Gatwick at a push with family living not far from there. Pity sounds fantastic! Nice looking chalet too.
On the upside, I've booked extortionate flights from Liverpool to Geneva and am paying for the accommodation in La Rosiere today Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy