Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term ski deals Single Mum & 7 yr old novice&intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
Iglou I think you may have hit the nail on the head! I even offered to organise it for her!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alyefs, I know that some folk here are taking a strong line but only you know how much you are prepared to go for it.. and your idea of what is "manageable" is clearly very different from most of us here. It does seem that you aren't up for going for it at all Sad.

My dad died while I was skiing in Canada, it was always possible but I never considered not going (family rules). If you really, really want to go then find reasons to book something rather than reasons not to.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jellybabe, it was very kind of you indeed. Thankyou. Still prefer to do DIY the next time. Perhaps with friends. I did look at the links you sent. Very kind. As I said, we are doing as advised and keeping an eye on things...getting ready for last minute. I'm not sure why people haven't seen this.

I've everything in place to be able to leave last minute. But thanks all the same to everyone.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Holiday loverxx- sorry haven't got the Hang of quoting. My apologies if you think I was one taking a strong line. I did spend a couple of hours researching possibilities and emailing the op with them. I sent info on diy, links to websites and to's how to book, get best deal etc. I travelled with a 7 year old last year. I answered questions on kit, clothing, helmets, goggles and she professes to be ok on reds. I sent my mobile number etc. but if the dog is what is stopping her going I can only think she should wait until it has died and then think about a holiday. A grown woman who can't book a holiday because she is divorced is a tad worrying. I know everyone is different but there is only so much hand holding anyone can do. Sorry if I sound a bit peeved, but that is because I am. Why waste peoples time/efforts/kindness? If you can't book your own holiday then stay at home! To think I even considered getting a larger apartment and accommodating them. Grumpy of Surrey.xxx
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jellybabe, I didn't want, and still don't want DIY. Thanks anyway. I was very grateful...but maintained we wouldn't be doing DIY this year. Cheers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jellybabe wrote:
Holiday loverxx- sorry haven't got the Hang of quoting. My apologies if you think I was one taking a strong line. I did spend a couple of hours researching possibilities and emailing the op with them. I sent info on diy, links to websites and to's how to book, get best deal etc. I travelled with a 7 year old last year. I answered questions on kit, clothing, helmets, goggles and she professes to be ok on reds. I sent my mobile number etc. but if the dog is what is stopping her going I can only think she should wait until it has died and then think about a holiday. A grown woman who can't book a holiday because she is divorced is a tad worrying. I know everyone is different but there is only so much hand holding anyone can do. Sorry if I sound a bit peeved, but that is because I am. Why waste peoples time/efforts/kindness? If you can't book your own holiday then stay at home! To think I even considered getting a larger apartment and accommodating them. Grumpy of Surrey.xxx

no problem - I agree with you, but not everyone is a strong and capable woman
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alyefs, There are a lot of moving parts in any ski holiday, and you're always going to have to compromise on *something*, whoever you are. The only way to avoid compromise is by throwing money at it, but you're on a budget so no luck there. To do a last-minute hand-rolled holiday you have to be flexible, and I can see from the preceding discussion that you have a number of very rigid criteria so I just don't think that's going to work out for you. So, as others have said, a last minute tour op deal is definitely your best bet.

Personally I'd echo the suggestion of a Club Med because it's all taken care of for you there, and your son is guaranteed to meet other kids to make friends with. The real killer part is that they offer tuition/guiding all day, which you can opt for some days and not others (or even half days) if you want to ski with your son. So you'll make friends who are *also* in your hotel, as will your son (whereas with lessons he'll only see those kids, and you those adults, for a couple of hours a day). If you go chalet with booked lessons then he's going to end up seeing some kids for a couple of hours a day, but never really getting to know them and then there will hopefully be some other kids in the chalet (but that's not guaranteed) and it's not like he's going to have much choice of who to hang out with. As mentioned before, the price often looks steep but as you don't pay for anything at all after that it's actually reasonable (and some of their resorts are cheaper than others).

As for the snow, well, we all take that risk every year. I'm afraid you're not special and the weather gods are capricious Happy. There are no guarantees; just go high. And any time after March usually sees slush on the main tracks coming into resorts because they're the lowest and most trafficked part - and they're just not that important at all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So bloody get on with it? Not sure why you would consider going without your son even if his father could have him when you said it was about the to of you. Anyway you've blown it on costs of flights so either book a package last minute or send him to his fathers and stay home! Just don't come to Tignes!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
duncang, thanks Duncan...I'm looking at last minute deals for Club Med. I've even out things in place to drive to London a to park at friends so we can try and get London flight deals. Thanks for the info and advice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jellybabe wrote:
So bloody get on with it? Not sure why you would consider going without your son even if his father could have him when you said it was about the to of you. Anyway you've blown it on costs of flights so either book a package last minute or send him to his fathers and stay home! Just don't come to Tignes!

Oh I don't know, Tignes is a big place - big enough for the both of you wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Holiday loverxx I did send loads of info on to's to, plus kit etc, even gave my phone no to talk. But if you can't book a straightforward package with a to how on earth do you manage a holiday of any kind? Sorry if I sound peeved but other than picking them up from home, taking them to the flight and being there with tissues I can't see how anyone could help more. Perhaps she needs a PA?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jellybabe, could do without plain nastiness. Absolutely no need. I would have had a few days on my own. But I don't much care that I can't. I don't...therefore will go together. Sorry you're upset that I couldn't use the advice you offered. I'm still very grateful. I hadn't intended to come to a Tignes. There's no need for public berating though....on any level.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jellybabe, perhaps she does; but I think you've made your view sufficiently clear now
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
duncang, yes we've rigid criteria in the sense that we're bound by school holidays....we don't want DIY and would rather not go at Easter. But last minute we can do....just about. I've even replied to people who've a room available. That's something we can consider too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My apologies, I might be just a bit tetchy today! Most unlike me I promise. Aiy just sit tight till the day before and if something comes up book it and go. I live on the Reading to Gatwick line and have parking space fare is £12 to Gatwick from here. We will be leaving on the Friday ur have friends in the house so you could park here. I'm sorry, I do know how tough it can be, but if you don't take the plunge you could still be sitting thinking about it by the time your boy is off to uni. Be brave kid! There's a brilliant Dr Suess book someone gave my daughter when she was small "oh the places you'll go". It is good for a reminder for adults too! Again my apologies again. Bad day at the ranch! Good luck. Xx
snow conditions
Following the email I take some of my last post back. I won't give my email address out again. Book or don't book. She says she's deleting her account so clearly not serious anyway. Why bother people who are offering help? Administrator I think it probably best just to delete this thread.
snow report
jellybabe, much appreciated...we all have bad days....and Thankyou yes we will sit tight till closer the time. As mentioned, I've got my eye on a couple of things...

We've done plenty already....so I'm really not as bad as you think. I drove us from Liverpool to La Rochelle 2 years ago...in our VDub. It took 3 days. When we arrived the accommodation arrangements had been fluffed so I had to find somewhere to stay. Coming home we missed the ferry by 10 mins! It felt easy with me speaking French and having the Camper with all our stuff. We just haven't flown yet. Let alone organise anything at the other end.

Anyway...it'll all be academic if the pet sitter doesn't respond. A consideration...albeit trivial to some. But out of my control.
Thanks again Little Angel
snow report
jellybabe, thanks again...for suggestions. I'm doing exactly as many have said would be the best thing given our circumstances...and that's to hang in til the last week before half term. Happy to do that.

So....yep, serious...I've had lots of replies on chalets direct....some twice, with cheaper options than their first offer. So they should come down again. Good news Very Happy

Ps. Had only thought about deleting profile as things were becoming unpleasant. I've made a small donation, and thought it better to hang on. It'll nice to post about the trip...especially as I'm reviewing veggie experiences for work.
snow report
Good luck. Xx
snow report
jellybabe, thanks, am just in the process of hopefully sorting some flights as have found a fab deal. We'd have to drive to Stanstead. See....not all green behind the ears Wink

Thanks again....given me courage!
snow report
alyefs,
I hope you get something sorted, and report back with a trip report with lot's of lovely photos...
ski holidays
We're almost there. Have found dog sitter...have found flights from Stanstead, can drive to Stanstead during the day. Lift oass reasonable. Big catered chalet with adults and kids. Mixed abilities, ski and ski out. Ski hire reasonable. Don't give a flying chuff about anything else. All being well, with flights etc...we is going!

Serious?? Criteria too strict? Hmmmm....... Looking ok so far. Hopefully the world won't fall through the bottom by the morning lol!
ski holidays
alyefs, well done. snowHead
ski holidays
alyefs,

Hope it comes together, it will be great fun!
latest report
Now that's all sorted I'm baking cookies for my son's charity event tomorrow! Just waiting for one more communication with the group...then it's clickety click on the flights. Boom!
latest report
I think the bottom fell out Sad
Bulgaria anyone?
ski holidays
alyefs, what happened? Don't go to Bulgaria. If you are after a last minute deal it's way too soon - you might still get something good.
ski holidays
pam w, we were all systems go, had got flights etc. The guys with chalet had offered a price for the 2 of us. I'd even sorted flights and was ready to click on book. That included us driving 4 hours to get to the airport to make the deal. But then it seems they were getting offers from 3 people meaning a great contribution. I haven't heard since Sad
Of course it's very possible they simply haven't decided yet.
But was advised to wait...as they wanted 3 contributions over 2. Fair enough I guess.
So disappointed.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 27-01-14 12:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I'd even managed to sort the bloomin dog care.
ski holidays
alyefs, alyefs, if the skiing doesn't happen, could you take him somewhere like Centre Parcs? As the dog care is sorted......
snow conditions
pam w, we have other options yes. We have the swimming pool summer trip summer sorted when we visit friends in Corsica (cheap deal!) and remaining budget for the ski trip. There's still plenty of time yet though. We've 2 wks before it becomes last minute.
Is Bulgaria no good? IYO?
ski holidays
Bulgaria is cheap, but there's a reason for that. If you get good snow it can be OK, but there are many negatives.
latest report
Quote:

Is Bulgaria no good?

I've never been - my sister went, with a friend, some years ago and although she said the hotel was v good value the skiing really wasn't anywhere near the standard she'd experienced in France and Austria and she found the toilets very offputting..... she also worried about standards of care of she'd been injured.

There are quite a lot of reports about Bulgaria on Snowheads - not all negative, but the overall verdict is not encouraging. The things that would put me off are reports of HUGE queues for the bottom gondola at busy times and unreliable snow cover - I'd be happy with a small ski area and I understand there's some good tuition available.
snow report
pam w wrote:
alyefs, alyefs, if the skiing doesn't happen, could you take him somewhere like Centre Parcs? As the dog care is sorted......

You can take your dog to CP but 3/4 nights in CP for half term will be as much as a weeks skiing I fear.
snow conditions
ansta1, I know it's expensive but is it really that pricey? Shocked I didn't think there were too many hols as expensive as skiing at half term.
ski holidays
ansta1, it would. My son goes there with his Dad every summer.....probably not much need to go again. We'll be going somewhere. I've pretty much understood the issues around half term, and Easter. I'll go and make pots more money and have better choice. There, easy Very Happy
We can dream Wink
latest report
Probably over 1k for 4 nights, plus any activities, other than the free swimming and play parks, and if you think courchevel is expensive for eating out......
snow report
pam w wrote:
ansta1, I know it's expensive but is it really that pricey? Shocked I didn't think there were too many hols as expensive as skiing at half term.

Yah....extortionate.....everything is additional too...all the activities for kids except for swimming. It's ok if there's a gang of you...
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
Probably over 1k for 4 nights, plus any activities, other than the free swimming and play parks, and if you think courchevel is expensive for eating out......

I was about to say around a thousand too! For a short break.....
ski holidays
I'm trying to find something affordable going out 12 April from Scotland, not easy, flights are best part of a grand and TOs have nothing affordable from Scotland, not much left anyway. Aaargh. May have to go half term but this year we are same week as England. Not happy, I want to go back to Soelden.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy