Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways- Baggage policy - snowboard boots must be packed in a separate bag?!?!

Poster: A snowHead
Perplexed. BA's baggage policy appears to be incredibly weird. For about 13 years, I've been doing snowboard travel, with a wheelie bag that holds board, boots and all my clothing. Never had an issue.

I'm flying from London to Geneva with BA this weekend, and I've noticed that BA have this oddly worded policy, that seems to want to force me to take my boots out of the wheelie bag. Even more disturbing is that it seems to be an outright scam, to force me to pay for an extra bag, since my ticket comes with an allowance of only ONE piece of baggage weighing up to 23kg, At 181cm long, and weighing about 22kg, my bag is well within BA's size and weight requirements, so why on earth should I have to take the boots out of the bag?

Can anyone shed light? Insight? Any idea why an airline would do this?

Policy wording:

We will accept ski and snowboard equipment up to 190cm (75in) in length provided it is packed correctly.

Please ensure that you:

pack your skis and snowboards in a recognised ski or snowboard bag
pack your ski poles with your skis
pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard — either in a bag of their own or within another checked bag
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think this is the difference between taking one bag (with everything in it) or paying extra for ski carriage. If the latter then follow the rules above (ie: they carry your skis and boots in two bags for the additional price of "ski carriage").

AFAIK they still allow one bag of 23kg to be the long wheely one you have used previously. I too have been doing it for years with no problem.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's the bit that explains:

"Bag sizes and bulky items

A checked bag can be up to 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5in x 29.5in x 16in) — including any bits that stick out, like the handle, pockets and wheels.

Larger items of up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) can be carried for an additional over-sized bag charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.)"

And in the sporting equipment bit it specifically states that

"Many types of sports equipment can be carried as part of your free checked baggage allowance or as part of an additional purchased allowance if required. We'll even accept some types of equipment over our standard checked baggage size."
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies mate, but really they don't clarify anything. In fact, they illustrate just how muddy the policy is. It unequivocally states that boots must be packed separately from skis or snowboard. I like how they mention "an additional over size bag charge". That they currently waive. - Um, then don't call it a charge on your website!

Don't worry. It's not just you who can't explain it! I just sat for 20 minutes on the 0844 BA hotline, and got nowhere. The guy basically repeated the policy word for word to me. Asked him to explain rationale. He came back 7 minutes later and said he doesn't know. Then the convo went something like this.

BA guy: you can try taking just one bag to the airport and they may let you fly with it.
Me: May? How does that help me? What happens if I get to airport and they won't allow my boots to be carried in my snowboard bag?
BA guy: Then you may have to pay
Me: Pay for what?
BA guy: To carry the boots
Me: Ok. Happy to pay, but carry them in what?
BA guy: A bag
Me: But I'll only have the one snowboard bag with me, remember?!
BA guy: Oh. I don't know. I'll try find you a customer service line for Heathrow. Takes 4 minutes to find an 0870 number that I can call.....

HELPFUL!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
braddo111, If it's anything like the other airlines, it can be to do with insured loss. I asked Jet2 about this a couple of years ago when they said "Snowboards only" in snowboard bags as I've always put boots etc in the bag too. They said that as long as the bag wasn't overweight/oversize, then they didn't care what was in it, but if the bag was lost/delayed, only the snowboard itself would be covered by their insurance. Not boots, clothing, helmets, cameras and so on, because outsize luggage is the first thing to be left behind should the plane need to leave stuff behind.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Richard. Makes sense, although it's clearly an antiquated, out of touch policy, that disincentivises the efficient use of space, in the name of shirking responsibility. They wouldn't tell people to pack jackets separately from cameras, or anything like that. Why should it be any different for snow sports equipment. Baggage is baggage.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
braddo111, agree with you, clear as mud. They need to take some lessons off of Easy Jet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
braddo111 wrote:
... I just sat for 20 minutes on the 0844 BA hotline, and got nowhere. The guy basically repeated the policy word for word to me. Asked him to explain rationale. He came back 7 minutes later and said he doesn't know. Then the convo went something like this...

BA "help" lines... if you ring during about 07:00-24:00 UK time then you generally get the Indian call centre. If you call in the middle of the night (UK time), you generally get their North American call centre, which has significantly better customer service. I suspect BA has little other than call handlers in India, but in the US they seem to have people who can get things done.

As far as BA travel, I generally fly trans-Atlantic with them, where the rules will be different. However so long as you have a case weighing 23Kgs or less, and within the dimensions allowed, they have no particular control over what's in it other than obviously you can't take illegal things. So boots and boards work fine for me, in that one free checked bag.

It's absolutely not about insurance. The airline is legally liable for your bags once you check them: it's their problem, just keep the receipt. Their liability is not affected by what you carry. For example if they delay your clothing, they have to pay to provide replacements whilst you wait, and once they lose it, they have to pay for your new stuff. They will of course drag their feet on this, but they are still liable to you for their actions just like any other airline.

I would imagine at airline scale "insurance" is not a useful concept. They're big enough not to gain any benefit from risk pooling.

My own experience of scheduled airlines doesn't suggest large legal-weight luggage is particularly more likely to go astray than anything else. For what it's worth, if you think there's a significant risk and you want to avoid it, take your boots in your carry on. Some heliskiers do that, because they don't want to ride in other boots should their own be delayed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
braddo111, Bottom line is pack normally but don't expect your Louis Vuitton ermine trimmed fartbag to be replaced by BA if they leave it on the tarmac at Heathrow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
braddo111, I traveled with both BA and Swiss last year to Geneva and did exactly the same but with my ski boots, which are significantly heavier than most board boots I've come across, in my large ski bag . Did not have any trouble or issues with either carrier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pack as normal, if they say anything at check in, take your shoes off, put them in your board bag and wear your snowboard boots NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey braddo111, I've taken my board out maybe 4 times with BA to different destinations in the past year, and i've always packed my boots in my board bag. The only thing they care about at the desk is whether it's within weight or not. That goes for outposts as well as LHR/LGW themselves.

I've also hand carried my board boots as they are without a bag onto the plane and it wasn't a problem as long as you're within the normal hand baggage requirements.

You may prefer to take your boots by hand so if your board bag gets lost then you're at least not totally up the creek. But that in itself is highly unlikely unless there's some sort of issues with baggage on the ground.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have used double ski bag containing with Ski's, Boots, Clothes etc for the past several trips, I've never had any issue or questions asked by either BA or Swiss, nor has my luggage gone missing.

Saying that, I know of at least 2 instances of luggage going missing whilst people travelled to a bash, so the people had to beg, steal and borrow Smile The lesson I took from this was simple - You can hire skis and boots but without clothes yours screwed.

So now I take a carry-on bag as well, this contains my laptop and about 2-3 days worth of clothes including my main Ski clothes (Trousers, Socks and Gloves). Something similar to

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Approved-Lightweight-Backpack/dp/B005C3QKF4/?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kelv1n, wise advice. I do that for my Summer Hols too. Pack at least one change of clothes and bikini in hand luggage. I also, as we normally travel as a family, put a bit of each others clothes in another persons suitcase so that if one persons case goes missing at least they have some stuff in another persons case.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always get everything in a double ski bag (except my helmet in my rucksack) and have never had a problem with BA or anyone else.
snow report
put your boots in the bag you take on the plane, BA allow one cabin bag plus a handbag/laptop bag, simples Smile
ski holidays
braddo111,
I travelled BA LGW to TRN last week. Prior to the flight I called BA Customer Services to let them know one of the hold bags would be a coffin style wheeled ski bag with 185cms dimensions weighing less than 23KGS and got them to make note of this on the booking details.

So for Mrs Skimastaaah and myself 2 X Hold Bags, one a "normal" bag under 23KGS containing our ski boots and some clothes, the other the Ski- bag, also under 23 KGS containing 2 pairs of skis and some clothing. We also had 2 X Cabin Baggage which had some more ski clothes, other clothes, and both ski helmets.

This is all within the BA Baggage webpages, and the BA Baggage guidelines, no extra charges.
snow report
It doesn't seem that confusing. The rules are quite clear... the grey area is where you might get away with variations.
snow report
skimastaaah, I forgot to add........................ had to take my piste skis (180cms) as opposed to my OP skis (196 cms) just to make sure that I stayed within the BA oversized baggage dimensions, otherwise I would run the risk that outside of the BA 190cms bag size the longer skis/skibag being treated as "Cargo".
snow report
Tiger2 wrote:
I think this is the difference between taking one bag (with everything in it) or paying extra for ski carriage. If the latter then follow the rules above (ie: they carry your skis and boots in two bags for the additional price of "ski carriage").

AFAIK they still allow one bag of 23kg to be the long wheely one you have used previously. I too have been doing it for years with no problem.

I agree with Tiger2

The policy seems clear to me:- Don't try and get away with a 23kg bag while putting your boots in the ski/board bag.

If everything is in a sigle bag weighing no more than 23kg then there is no issue.
ski holidays
"Don't try and get away with a 23kg bag while putting your boots in the ski/board bag"

Gaza - can you explain what you mean by this?
latest report
braddo111 wrote:
"Don't try and get away with a 23kg bag while putting your boots in the ski/board bag"

Gaza - can you explain what you mean by this?

You have one bag which is 23kg.

You have another bag with boots and board.

If you try to get away with it and they pick you up, then you've nowhere to put your boots.
latest report
...and my ticket only comes with ONE piece of checked baggage weighing up to 23kg. So your scenario doesn't apply. OBVIOUSLY if my allowance is ONE bag, and I try to get away with TWO bags, then I'm asking for trouble. But that's not the situation at all.

This thread is solely focused on the unequivocal, unambiguous, yet seemingly inexplicable instruction that says:

Please ensure that you:

pack your skis and snowboards in a recognised ski or snowboard bag
pack your ski poles with your skis
pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard — either in a bag of their own or within another checked bag

For the record: I'm sure it'll be fine, as per what most people have said in the thread. I'm only continuing to reply 'cos it seems odd that anyone can think the policy is "clear". Very Happy
latest report
My Dad had a massive barney with BA staff about this over Christmas.

He was travelling with just one piece of luggage - a large ski bag.

My Mum was travelling with him and had a large hold-all as her checked luggage, containing both of their clothes, etc.

My Dad would have put his boots in with his skis and been comfortably within the weight allowances, but instead he packed them in their separate boot-bag as per BA instructions. So they charged him for an extra piece of luggage when he turned-up at the airport! He wasn't happy. Got the charge dropped at Glasgow on the way out, but not in GVA on the way back...
snow report
It's not inexplicable at all.

Put your skis in one bag.

Put everything else, including boots in another bag.

If you can't put your boots in the other bag, then put them in a boot bag. Just because they don't explicitly state that you would then get charged for an additional bag is neither here or there. The number of bags and associated charges are dealt with elsewhere in the Ts&Cs.
snow conditions
It is crystal clear to me. The policy you quote applies if you have purchased ski/board carriage in addition to your standard allowance. You haven't and so long as your bag is within the maximum dimensions then you won't have an issue.

in summary: the policy you quote doesn't apply to you as you only have the standard allowance.
snow report
Gaza, spot on.
snow conditions
"The policy you quote applies if you have purchased ski/board carriage in addition to your standard allowance. "

Where does it say this?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it specifically says that the policy applies to anyone carrying sports equipment. It says nothing about it only applying if you've paid for ski carriage in addition to standard allowance.

Sporting goods on British Airways

Many types of sports equipment can be carried as part of your free checked baggage allowance or as part of an additional purchased allowance if required. We'll even accept some types of equipment over our standard checked baggage size.

We will only accept sporting equipment if it is packed appropriately (to avoid damage) and meets the given size and weight restrictions. Items over 23kg may incur a heavy bag charge. See our advice on specific types of equipment below for details.

latest report
braddo111 wrote:
it specifically says that the policy applies to anyone carrying sports equipment. It says nothing about it only applying if you've paid for ski carriage in addition to standard allowance.

Sporting goods on British Airways

Many types of sports equipment can be carried as part of your free checked baggage allowance or as part of an additional purchased allowance if required. We'll even accept some types of equipment over our standard checked baggage size.

We will only accept sporting equipment if it is packed appropriately (to avoid damage) and meets the given size and weight restrictions. Items over 23kg may incur a heavy bag charge. See our advice on specific types of equipment below for details.

Where does it "specifically says that the policy applies to anyone carrying sports equipment."?

It does specifically state - "Many types of sports equipment can be carried as part of your free checked baggage allowance "

It seems that you want there to be an issue. Confused

I agree the website could be clearer but my interpretation is that where you pitch-up with a bag that is larger than than the standard allowance - 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5" x 29.5" x 16") - they can insist that the boots are not in there. Why they would do this is anyones guess as it should not matter one bit.

However, if you pitch-up with a single bag that is within the limits (as above) then you are fine. They are hardly going to start asking you to open the bag and examine the contents.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 23-01-14 10:05; edited 2 times in total
latest report
if you can get it all in one bag and it weighs less than 23kg you are fine. i have done this numerous times with BA
ski holidays
I understand that's your interpretation Gaza, but your interpretation still doesn't clear up why they'd single out boots and tell people how to use their allowance. Why not tell people to take goggles in a separate bag? Why not specify that camera lenses should not be packaged with skis? Why not say that foodstuffs must be kept separate to silken night gowns? It's just plain odd to specify how people should utilise their baggage allowance. The logical solution would be for BA to exclude that last line "pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard — either in a bag of their own or within another checked bag" (since it's clearly confusing to the many people who take one big wheelie bag), and say something to the effect of:

"to avoid excess baggage charges, all equipment must fit within bag(s) that meet the size and weight requirements applicable to your ticket class. If you need more bags, to carry boots, helmets or other equipment, then you'll be charged for extra baggage according to our standard policy. You may find it more economical to purchase ski carriage in addition to your standard baggage allowance. Ski carriage includes boots, skis/boards, even if you carry your boots in a separate bag"
snow report
braddo111 wrote:
I understand that's your interpretation Gaza, but your interpretation still doesn't clear up why they'd single out boots and tell people how to use their allowance. Why not tell people to take goggles in a separate bag? Why not specify that camera lenses should not be packaged with skis? Why not say that foodstuffs must be kept separate to silken night gowns? It's just plain odd to specify how people should utilise their baggage allowance. The logical solution would be for BA to exclude that last line "pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard — either in a bag of their own or within another checked bag" (since it's clearly confusing to the many people who take one big wheelie bag), and say something to the effect of:

"to avoid excess baggage charges, all equipment must fit within bag(s) that meet the size and weight requirements applicable to your ticket class. If you need more bags, to carry boots, helmets or other equipment, then you'll be charged for extra baggage according to our standard policy. You may find it more economical to purchase ski carriage in addition to your standard baggage allowance. Ski carriage includes boots, skis/boards, even if you carry your boots in a separate bag"

[cynic hat on]

It's so when they lose one of your bags, you only charge them for ski/board OR boot rental and not both Wink

[/cho]
ski holidays
Perhaps the airlines realise that people can easily avoid excess baggage by using a wheelie bag? And this policy is to get them confused and purchasing extra baggage "just in case". or calling the 0870 number and generating some extra revenue?

God knows why any male needs more than a wheelie bag and a carry-on for a week's ski holiday? My wheelie is packed and weighs 19kg. Incl board, boots, bindings, helmet, jacket, pants, multiple thermals, 2 pairs of mitts, 2 goggles, 2 camelbaks, all tuning equipment, underwear, socks, spare jeans, shirts - everything.
snow report
Taking 2 sets of skis out next week so if both go into one bag and are below the weight limit then we are OK. Skis and bindings about 10kg per pair means we should be OK. Agree?
ski holidays
braddo111 wrote:
....... My wheelie is packed and weighs 19kg.....

You've still got your 23kg Cabin Baggage to play with!!
latest report
You need to be careful of the dimensions. The Guy checking me in at Gatwick over Christmas clocked that my bag is quite large and asked how long it was. "190" I said, but Mrs M's uphillers are 195s. Then what's a couple of inches between friends?

It had 2 pairs skis, boots and poles. Came in about 22kg.
latest report
I have been asking British Airways to clarify their baggage allowance policy ie (a) You must pack skis/poles separate to boots = two bags, versus (b) you are only allowed one bag of 23Kg of xyz dimensions. Over nearly a 3 week period they have outright refused to answer my questions. My last, and very frustrated email pointed out that deceptive and misleading material is an offence under Australian Consumer Protection Law; particularly when their baggage policy is a determining factor in the choice of an airline when booking a skiing holiday. Whilst I don't think they are being deceptive, they are happy to remain misleading. On a worst case scenario, I could be hit up for an "Excess baggage" charge of over $1000 on a return trip from Australia to Europe and back - just for the skis! The total airfare I ahve already paid is circa $1800. This is a massive factor when selecting airlines at the outset of a holiday and my 'initial' interpretation of their policy seemed like they were happy to take customers with skiing gear as long as it was one bag and under 23Kg (no problem for me). It really scares me that they REFUSE to acknowledge this and keep telling me to sort it out at the check-in desk??? This means at least 6 potential arguments due to their ambiguity and as everyone knows, when travelling for 30+ hours each way, one can become cranky without much trouble! Right now the enthusiasm of a wild holiday in the Italian Alps is being severely tarnished by British Airways and their lack of clarity on an otherwise simple query.
I liked braddo111's suggestion to their policy wording and even offered something similar myself to them; alas, no cigar. As somebody suggested, perhaps B.A are playing on this ambiguity to generate additional income out of unsuspecting customers? If so, it's a fast track to insolvency - just my opinion. Power to the people - if more people ask for clarification, the more like they are to provide it.
ski holidays
Write to willie.walsh@ba.com. You won't get a personal reply but it will go to the Exec Complaints team who have more power/sense than the normal email channel. BAs email teams are based in India and can be very narrow in their interpretation.
latest report
I should've updated the thread when I flew. Was a non-event at the check-in desk. As long as the bag was under 23kg, they didn't care or ask what was in it, aside from the usual questions re explosives etc.

I know that doesn't help you jaksbak, but take it for what it's worth.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy