Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chemmy in Team GB....

Poster: A snowHead
With regard to Ski Cross if only the top 32 world class are going to go it will be very few countries competing, Austria, Canada, Switzerland, France and Germany can all take their maximum of 3 which means Australia, Russia and I think Norway can also take 3 since Canada, Switzerland and France all have 4 (or 5) in the top 32, and Katya Krema is 34th with Maria Commissarova 33rd and Hedda Berntsen 36th, So 24 from 8 countries, then 2 from Sweden and the Czech Republic and 1 from Chilie, Poland, Belgium and Slovakia, theres also a Japanese lady ahead of Emily, so for Emily to be able to go, two would have to not be going
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman wrote:
I don't think Chemmy should be there, injured at the end of her career, with very little chance of any success, taking a place from younger athletes with the need for experience and in the case of Emily a chance of coming away with something.

Just to note French skier Ophélie David will be at Sotchi and she looks old enough to be my mum.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf, There is some complex system on a website somewhere; its not that straightforward once you are outside the 32 it go to countries rather than position I think. I looked it up a couple of months ago ; its here.
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/Olympics/04/28/00/quota-list-all-sports-16-10-2013_Neutral.pdf

Basically they can take more than 3 (well some countries can), but the canadians have announced the rest of their freestyle team and there are only 6 places for skier cross, suspect these will go three a piece when they announce the people . But the places go to countries rather than ranking spots. GBR is 8th on the skier cross for ladies.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
emwmarine wrote:
davkt wrote:
emwmarine, A whole lot more met the IOC qualifying standards, but the BOC had higher standards and seemingly financial objectives to meet as well! Looks to me like a fair few people capable of competing with the best in world will be sat watching it on TV like the rest of us.

A cycnical view would be that Chemmy got in due to her profile and ability to get BBC, sky et all. Not saying she didn't deserve to but Emily is improving all the time and has demonstrated she can't compete at the top level.

Yep, guess it didn't help Emily had a bit of a blip in her form recently but it still seems very short sighted to leave her out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davkt wrote:
emwmarine wrote:
davkt wrote:
emwmarine, A whole lot more met the IOC qualifying standards, but the BOC had higher standards and seemingly financial objectives to meet as well! Looks to me like a fair few people capable of competing with the best in world will be sat watching it on TV like the rest of us.

A cycnical view would be that Chemmy got in due to her profile and ability to get BBC, sky et all. Not saying she didn't deserve to but Emily is improving all the time and has demonstrated she can't compete at the top level.

Yep, guess it didn't help Emily had a bit of a blip in her form recently but it still seems very short sighted to leave her out.

oops. meant to say "can compete at the highest level"
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
emwmarine, Not to worry from me, my dyslexia auto corrected your typo to what you meant to write when I read it!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski wrote:
cant believe the amount of cash spent on bobsled and skelton compared to skiing/boarding

Why? Yes as a skier i dont like it but it's performasnce by results - we've got gold and silver in recent sliding events and nothing in alpine. Similarly for 2012 the best funded sports were cycling, rowing and sailing. Is likely that funding for 2016 will aslo focus on those sports rather than say beach volleyball
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jocrad wrote:
After the uncertainties following last weekend, Chemmy has been announced as one of the Team GB members for Sochi...wishing everyone the best of luck

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/25820363

flabergasted.. am i reading that bbc table correctly that most sports get over £3M per year!! i agree that is across a lot of athletes but what does that pay for. I am in a privileged position that one of my offspring has travelled the world and competed at the very top level of a non winter sport and i have to say that a fraction of £3M would have been very nice indeed to help with the costs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep reading the details in ski cross they can send 4 per team per sex so 3 countries are doing just that, will make for a very limited field of countries I guess, quite a difference compared to say athletics where a consideable number of qualifiers, quarter finals, semi finals and so on seem to take place in the summer in order to allow as many to compete as possible
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is Skiier cross just 32 skiers in total or do they do a seeding run? I.e. there can be more than 32 who qualify for the games but only the 32 fastest in the seeding actually get to compete in the head to head event?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought there would be a seeding run, but apparently it is just the top 32 in the world (actually it may be 32 out of top 33 because I think Canada chose to take only 3 of the 4 female ski cross competitors so that they could take an extra one on another event) each team has a maximum number of competitors for the freestyle events apparently
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chemmy finished 42nd in the Super-G in Cortina today, 3 and a bit seconds off the winner. Still some work to do it seems.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here is the process as I understand it..

ALPINE SKIING
GB got a total of 7 quotas in Alpine. Most countries get 2 but then extra for having highly ranked athletes. Gb are accepting 2... Chemmy and Dave (as they both hit the very hard British selection criteria)

SKI CROSS
There are no country quotas in Ski Cross so each one has to be earned. Emily also hit the very hard British criteria (3x top 24's in World Cup). FIS invite the top 32, Emily slipped to 34 on the Olympic list in the last few races. However after injuries/retirements and spots given to teams that are over quota (max 26athletes in freestyle in all 5 disciplines) Emily moves into rank 27th we believe? So well within the 32. Britain don't accept any quotas that weren't given on the first list (even though they did in Vancouver). So Emily wasn't on the first list, therefore GB will reject her place and it will go to the next nation down the line....

Madness!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still don't understand the madness Emily seems to have a much greater chance than Chemmy as I understand things of getting a place, no disrespect to Chemmy I admire her efforts greatly but I think Emily should have gone and the GB bosses should be given a good kicking, but no doubt their rooms are already booked and paid for at Sochi, hope they do go to court and win.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I didn't think Chemmy actually made the official BOA selection criteria did she?

NB I not suggesting she shouldn't be going.
snow report
Emily is ranked 34 on the Olympic list just outside the initial 32. She came 21st on the Sochi track last year and 17th at World Champs...

Once the injured and over quota girls are taken away she is easily in the top 30.

I also think they should take more alpine guys.... We want to see Brits at the Olympics, kids can aspire to them, the athletes profiles will grow and much needed sponsorship will follow... Then we will have medal hopes.

If Emily got through the first heat, then the second she would be in the top 8! That is not impossible... And quite likely!!

Go EM... Support her petition to push the BOA to accept her place at Sochi,

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/british-olympic-organisation-accept-emily-sarsfield-s-invitation-from-fis-to-participate-in-the-ski-cross-event-at-the-2014-winter-olympics-in-sochi#intro
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy