Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chemmy in Team GB....

Poster: A snowHead
After the uncertainties following last weekend, Chemmy has been announced as one of the Team GB members for Sochi...wishing everyone the best of luck

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/25820363
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just saw that this morning. Excellent news! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm pleased for her, I hope she makes it through safely.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great news for Chemmy and good luck to her.

Sad news for Alpine overall with only Chemmy and Dave selected, no TJ and no Dougie Sad only two alpine skiers selected so let's hope the seven snowboarders pull their medal weight then.

The table on funding in that article is also sad reading.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, the funding situation sucks - but if Chem and Dave were the only people to make the grade (2 x 32nd placings in the qualifying period) why bring also-rans? If they want to represent their country, be better. The freestylers and boarder cross riders all earned their places under similar requirements for their disciplines - We've nobody at all in Luge or Skier Cross.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways, isn't Emily Sarsfield competing in the Ski Cross?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells, no.

Richard_Sideways, thanks for explaining. I didn't know how the selection was done. I thought it would have been something like 4 best in this discipline, 4 best in that, 4 best in another and so on or similar. That's why I thought it seemed unfair.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
......isn't Emily Sarsfield competing in the Ski Cross?.....

Quote:
....no.....

But didn't I see a big piece with Emily on Ski Sunday a couple of weeks ago ? ( unsure of timing as I watch most of my TV on catch up )
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, and great news for Chemmy [goes weak at the knees]. Incredible drive and determination, and no shortage of skill. I still think she could have dominated women's skiing had she had the backing/resources available to the traditional Alpine nations Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was surprised myself, but BBC say we don't have anyone representing in Skier-cross, and she's not listed on TeamGB
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Emily should and deserves to be there. 32nd place in last race (same as Chemmy and Dave) and last race cancelled. She has worked so hard and is such a dedicated sports person. I am so disappointed for her Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Full list on BSS http://www.teambss.org.uk/news/latest-news/record-number-of-skiers-and-snowboarders-selected-for-team-gb-for-sochi-2014/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mouth, very disappointing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think Chemmy should be there, injured at the end of her career, with very little chance of any success, taking a place from younger athletes with the need for experience and in the case of Emily a chance of coming away with something.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't see Zoe Gillings listed either, and she's ranked 10th in the world at the moment...
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, Zoe's there.
ski holidays
TeamGB website is AWFUL - a cacophony of style over substance. Stop funding Shoreditch mediatwunt design-gasms and put the cash into snowsport!
snow report
cant believe the amount of cash spent on bobsled and skelton compared to skiing/boarding
snow conditions
This from the 8th of Jan, Sarsfield talks to Norther Echo
Quote:
“It's been frustrating because I started the season in North America fairly well, but in the last few weeks I've slipped from the safe zone in terms of qualifying into the unsafe zone.

“The weather hasn't been on my side, but there's been a bit of fresh snow recently and that's good. I haven't done a lot wrong, but I had a couple of races that didn't quite go right for me and then I had a crash when we were racing near where I live in Meribel.

“It was nothing serious – one of the jumps was about 40m in height, and as soon as I came off it, I knew I wasn't going to be able to land it so I took evasive action – but it was enough to knock me down the rankings a place or two. That's what's causing the problems.”

There is another element to Sarsfield's story as even if she finishes outside the top 32 by this month's cut-off point, she will almost certainly still be invited to the Games. There is a limit to how many competitors each nation can field, and with a large number of Canadians at the top of the rankings, some will have to drop out and Sarsfield will be elevated into the field as the first reserve.

However, the British Olympic Association has previously said that it will not select competitors who are a “second invitation”. Would that apply to Sarsfield if she was elevated into the field? Or would she be classed as a first pick because others are ineligible? Frustratingly, even at this late stage, no one seems to know.

“It's a massive grey area, and it might come down to the discretion of the selectors,” said Sarsfield. “I've been trying to get a dialogue going with them to explain why things have got to this point, and show what I would be capable of if I was given a place at the Games.

“Ski cross isn't like a lot of other sports where there are huge gulfs of class between the competitors. Our sport is so unpredictable, and there are so many crashes, that anything really can happen. I've beaten pretty much all of the girls above me in the rankings at some stage, and on any given day, there's no reason why that couldn't happen again.”

Having shelled out a fortune of her own money to compensate for a lack of central funding in order to keep her Olympic dream alive, Sarsfield would inevitably be hugely deflated if she was not allowed to compete in Sochi.
snow report
Very disppointed about Emily. I thought she had met the qualification criteria already.

Ski cross is an event where anything can happen on the day and I think she stood as good a chance as any of the others of an upset.
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
cant believe the amount of cash spent on bobsled and skelton compared to skiing/boarding

+1 and why aren't they combined like skiing and snowboarding?
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, The Alpine guys needed to be top 100 in the world + either 1 x top 30 in World cup or 2 x top 10 in Europa Cup.
Both TJ and Dougie are in the top 100 in both Downhill & Super Combined. TJ missed out on selection by just 0.29 secs over 2 races in Downhill with an 11th & 14th place in Europa cup Downhills.
They are the British No1 & 2 in Downhill, Super G & Super Combined and are definitely not no hopers as you put it! I think even Dougie would admit that he has just a good a chance as Chemmy in the Downhill, and he is going to marry her this year!
As I have said before GB had 8 men & 7 women who had gained places on the IOC 'A' standard qualification for Alpine skiing. We could have taken more so taking just 1 man & 1 woman is insane! Especially as BSS do not give any funding or support to the Alpine speed guys.
There will be a large number of skiers from other non-alpine nations who will have their full quota in the Downhill/Super G/ Super Combined/ GS Including Thailand! Who's Alpine skiing team is the same size as GB's!!!!!!!

Emily Sarsfield should also have been selected.
ski holidays
Probably because at some time in the past they have had former military officers convince the BOA that they should be separate, so far as I can see very little of the beauracracy makes any sense whatsoever, much as I think Chemmy has done really well to get fit and be on the list honesty does make me think that Emily probably had a greater chance

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 22-01-14 11:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Because they're good and have a track record (excuse the pun) of delivering shiny media friendly athletes and shiny media friendly medals.

Until this year, our chances in skiing and snowboarding were, frankly, a bit sparse. Thanks to the inclusion of Slopestyle we might actually have a shot at some success in a sliding discipline for a while (until China works out that gymnasts make REALLY GOOD slopestyle athletes)
snow report
And why was Chemmy selected and Emily not ? Surely Team GB have broken their own selection process ?
ski holidays
emwmarine, A whole lot more met the IOC qualifying standards, but the BOC had higher standards and seemingly financial objectives to meet as well! Looks to me like a fair few people capable of competing with the best in world will be sat watching it on TV like the rest of us.
ski holidays
Plugboy, didn't realise that either, madness not take your full quota!
latest report
Plugboy, I know you're closer to this than most, and I for one would love to see a properly funded and represented UK downhill team. But realistically, do we have anyone capable of getting into that world class top-10 field where they could genuinely challenge? For right or wrong BOC / Team GB / BSS simply aren't interested in valiant 28ths anymore, they don't have the money to spare.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, the guys are self funding, they qualify, why not let them go?
latest report
sarah, +1
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
sarah, +1
+2 with the caveat that they qualify on technical merit and not just because of some obscure rule that allows their entry.
latest report
Richard_Sideways, for downhill races it's really not just the top 10 who can medal, ok first place is probably top 10, but podiums frequently happen for people in top twenty and occasionally lower

Emily Sarsfield should be going, ok she's currently ranked 39 in the world but 5 of those in front of her cannot go as only 3 people per country can compete, this would raise her to 34 in the word this year, by comparison Chemmy has managed just one finish this season in 91st place, whilst Emily has been in 10 races this season with top 32 results in 6 and never out of the top 40
snow conditions
By taking your full quota of athletes it will mean more British television exposure for our athletes which will help with private sponsorship/funding and encourage a new generation to compete.
snow report
isn't it appropriate that the banner at the side of the page is our Chemmy Very Happy
ski holidays
If Emily is ranked 39th, does she make it? I know people below her will drop out, but they only accept 32 in the actual race.

BOC should sort stuff out, the sad fact is that people need serious race starts in order to become great; not letting these guys go now (or to the world championship) is affecting medal opportunities down the road (2018) etc.
snow conditions
I'm also disappointed to hear Emily Sarsfield hasn't been selected. We met her at the ski show and she was very friendly and gave the children signed posters etc. We had been looking forward to watching her in the ski cross. Sad
ski holidays
snowymum,

Me too. We met and watched her in the skier cross at Nakiska this year. She seemed nice and did well in that race
snow conditions
Ill be rooting for Rowan Cheshire as she only started to learn to ski 7 years ago, at my local hill (Stoke Ski Centre Laughing )
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Richard_Sideways, for downhill races it's really not just the top 10 who can medal, ok first place is probably top 10, but podiums frequently happen for people in top twenty and occasionally lower

Emily Sarsfield should be going, ok she's currently ranked 39 in the world but 5 of those in front of her cannot go as only 3 people per country can compete, this would raise her to 34 in the word this year, by comparison Chemmy has managed just one finish this season in 91st place, whilst Emily has been in 10 races this season with top 32 results in 6 and never out of the top 40

Plus one race she was doing much better in the other week was cancelled before the end due to bad weather.
snow conditions
davkt wrote:
emwmarine, A whole lot more met the IOC qualifying standards, but the BOC had higher standards and seemingly financial objectives to meet as well! Looks to me like a fair few people capable of competing with the best in world will be sat watching it on TV like the rest of us.

A cycnical view would be that Chemmy got in due to her profile and ability to get BBC, sky et all. Not saying she didn't deserve to but Emily is improving all the time and has demonstrated she can compete at the top level.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 22-01-14 21:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy