Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GB Olympic squad

Poster: A snowHead
Watching the Olympic coverage in France just shows how differently they treat winter sports. Wall to wall TV coverage in the same vein as our summer Olympic coverage and the support the French athletes get is fantastic, whether they are likely to come in 30th place or 1st place.

Huge shame they didn't allow Emily to compete, as others have said it is the one event where an upset is a real possibility.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The BBC's website today:

Quote "The women's ski cross is also taking place with British hopeful Emily Sarsfield hoping to make an impact in Sochi, having missed the last Winter Olympics through injury."

If only....

That's just rubbing salt into the wound.
rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okanagan wrote:
Anyone else notice that there was a British skier in the moguls finals - only he was competing for France because of the lack of GB funding Sad

I saw Charlotte Bankes was snowboarding and Lloyd Jones was skating for France and of course Ophelie David's husband, Phil, is English. Charlotte Bankes has two brothers, one of which skis for France too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I've been busy 'discussing' the selection criteria with Konrad via facebook and apparently it is all our fault we have rubbish criteria!

"The selection criteria were published Nov 2012, and there were no issues with the published criteria then. Everyone had the opportunity to voice any concerns at the appropriate time. The selection process has ways been open, fair and reasonable. It is not designed to trick people out of participating at the Olympic Games. So if you feel that there are issues with the selections standards, then these should have been raised at the appropriate time."

I'm pretty sure people did raise concerns at the appropriate time and were basically told to get lost Paddy and Konrad were the experts.

Oh and as an aside if the men's ski cross final had been a race in the qualifying period and the bronze medallist British his performance in the competition wouldn't have good enough to cout towards his qualification as in the seeding rounds he was more than 4% slower than the fastest! If that doesn't show the selection criteria are bizarrely flawed I don't know what does!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
Okanagan wrote:
Anyone else notice that there was a British skier in the moguls finals - only he was competing for France because of the lack of GB funding Sad

I saw Charlotte Bankes was snowboarding and Lloyd Jones was skating for France and of course Ophelie David's husband, Phil, is English. Charlotte Bankes has two brothers, one of which skis for France too.

Emma Carrick Anderson did an interview yesterday on the BBC with Kenza Tazi who has dual British/Maroccan (?) nationality and was competing in the ladies slalom. Fantastic exposure for Kenza, it's just a pity Charlotte Guest or Alex Tilley didn't get the same opportunity & exposure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt wrote:
Well I've been busy 'discussing' the selection criteria with Konrad via facebook and apparently it is all our fault we have rubbish criteria!

"The selection criteria were published Nov 2012, and there were no issues with the published criteria then. Everyone had the opportunity to voice any concerns at the appropriate time. The selection process has ways been open, fair and reasonable. It is not designed to trick people out of participating at the Olympic Games. So if you feel that there are issues with the selections standards, then these should have been raised at the appropriate time."

I'm pretty sure people did raise concerns at the appropriate time and were basically told to get lost Paddy and Konrad were the experts.

Oh and as an aside if the men's ski cross final had been a race in the qualifying period and the bronze medallist British his performance in the competition wouldn't have good enough to cout towards his qualification as in the seeding rounds he was more than 4% slower than the fastest! If that doesn't show the selection criteria are bizarrely flawed I don't know what does!

Well it was discussed on here in Jan 2013 saying the criteria was so high we wouldn't be sending many athletes.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2219099&highlight=#2219099
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup and I've seen correspondence between people affected by the criteria and the BSS which I'd certainly class as raising concern.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward wrote:
Emma Carrick Anderson did an interview yesterday on the BBC with Kenza Tazi who has dual British/Maroccan (?) nationality and was competing in the ladies slalom. Fantastic exposure for Kenza, it's just a pity Charlotte Guest or Alex Tilley didn't get the same opportunity & exposure.

Looking at the start list Charlie and/or Alex would have started ahead of the fourth USA racer, some countries believe in filling their quota.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Support Dan Yule starting in the mens slalom for Switzerland, yet could have been racing for GBR, Scottish mum if I remember correctly. Great young skier with a huge future.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both parents Scottish but born in Switzerland according to the BBC commentary, just the latest in a long list of skiers and borders who could represent the UK but have gone with the other possibility open to them which will actually support their ambition rather do everything it can to crush it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davkt, very true, unfortunately.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just watched the 2nd run of the slalom. Looked really tough and some top skiers didn't make it. Big up for Dave Ryding for cracking the top 20.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
'Five-time Olympic skier and BBC commentator Graham Bell said: "We had two top-20 performances, but there should have been more skiers here. I don't think the selection policy reflected the ability we have in alpine skiing and we should have seen the likes of Dougie Crawford and TJ Baldwin representing us in men's downhill.'

have to agree with this sentiment , think these guys have been very badly let done by the selectors , we need representation in all events , and the country would have been right behind them

same goes for emily sarsfield
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dabber, I think virtually all of us here agree with Graham Bell's comment. It's just unfortunate that the BSS selectors don't.... rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scot_Ski wrote:
Interesting article in the Herald - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/other-sports/anger-after-skiing-slots-for-sochi-are-left-unfilled.23427903

Concentrating on 3 Scottish Alpine Athletes not selected to go to Sochi and equally applicable to TJ and others

And the followup article: http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/opinion/purse-string-holding-administrators-wield-a-sinister-influence-on-scottish-sport.23483457
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Dabber, I think virtually all of us here agree with Graham Bell's comment. It's just unfortunate that the BSS selectors don't.... rolling eyes

And from my ongoing facebook PM argument with him about the selection (although he seems to have gone quiet now) Konrad B is absolutely certain he and Paddy are doing an absolutely brilliant job of managing British world class level ski and snowboarding!
ski holidays
I received an email today from Snowsport Scotland congratulating all of the GB athletes and rightly so , to be selected and represent GB is an honour and recognition of reaching the highest level. What interested me more was the finish place each athalete achieved and the number of competitors in the event. Based upon these numbers I again see no justfication for leaving Emily , Dougie , TJ , Charlie and Alex out on the basis that they would not acheive a podium or put in a credible performance.

Extract of email :-

On top of Jones' 3rd place there were some amazing top-10 finishes from other athletes taking on the park and pipe features in Sochi! Whilst battling an injury, James Woods gave it everything to finish 5th in ski slopestyle whilst Katie Summerhayes qualified 3rd for the final finishing 7th overall in the Women's ski slopestyle.
Scottish halfpipe skier, Murray Buchan, achieved 17th place with a couple of strong runs in the ski halfpipe. A great accomplishment in his first Olympics and we look forward to seeing more of Murray in the future!

See the full results from the skiers and boarders below:

James Woods (Ski Slopestyle) - 5th /32 competitors
Jamie Nicholls (Snowboard Slopestyle) - 6th /29 competitors
Katie Summerhayes (Ski Slopestyle) - 7th /22 competitors
Zoe Gillings (Snowboard Cross) - 9th /24 competitors
Billy Morgan (Snowboard Slopestyle) - 10th /29 competitors
Dave Ryding (Men's Slalom) - 17th /117 competitors
Murray Buchan (Ski Halfpipe) - 17th /28 competitors
Aimee Fuller (Snowboard Slopestyle) - 17th /20 competitors
Emma Lonsdale (Ski Halfpipe) - 18th /23 competitors
Chemmy Alcott (Women's Downhill) - 19th /42 competitors
(Women's Super G ) - 23rd /50 competitors
James Machon (Ski Halfpipe) - 23rd /28 competitors
Andrew Musgrave (Cross Country) Individual Sprint Free - 29th /85 competitors
15 km classic - 44th /92 competitors
50km mass start - 53rd /60 competitors
Ben Kilner (Snowboard Halfpipe) - 34th /39 competitors
Dom Harington (Snowboard Halfpipe) - 38th /39 competitors
Andrew Young (Cross Country) - 15km classic - 37th /92 competitors
Individual Sprint Free - 42nd /85 competitors
Posy Musgrave (Cross Country) - Individual Sprint Free - 42nd /67 competitors
10km classic - 66th /76 competitors
Callum Smith (Cross Country) - Individual Sprint Free - 62nd /85 competitors
15km classic - 67th /92 competitors
latest report
From those figures above, Dave Ryding looks to be the pick of the bunch, 17th out of a field of 117. Good on him...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy