Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One leg

Poster: A snowHead
Inspired by Okanagan's amazing video of his nippers:

How the HELL do you ski on just one ski? I've seen plenty of people do it, I've tried, I've failed. It looks like fun.

Tips pls.

I guess I'm saying I'm really downhill-ski dominant. I feel very much like I'm carving both skis' when conditions are favourable. And I can easily lift a leg up providing it's my inside one. So how do you do this apparently magical feat?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess it's all about balance and control, I've done it slowly without thiking about it but I can't do it fast nor can I tell you how I do it, I just can
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't even do it at nursery slope speeds.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Pieholeo, I think it probably helps if you're about 10yr old have clearly skied a lot and have rubber joints - he did make it look easy didn't he.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Advice so far, summarized:

1) Be 10.

2) Just do it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Pieholeo, the hard part is getting weight onto the uphill ski. Get on seriously gentle slope and try to lift weaker leg then lean onto outside of other ski. It is difficult because there is nothing to stop you falling. So it is less about technique and more about balls. So grow some Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Deleted. Yet again, I am awe-struck by the humble coolness of all the snowheads skiing gods. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 22-01-14 11:32; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm 43 rather than 10. I'm neither supple nor subtle nor bendy though can and do happily ski one-leggedly Wink

Happily defer to any instructors out there, though for myself think it's one of those great technique drills to attempt (along with skiing with bindings undone) if you aim to be a moderately graceful skier since it forces you really focus on your balance and poise. Gets really interesting when you try carving like it, though think equally slow speeds or on flats just helps balance skills too.

If you want to then it's simples, just take your time, lots of time to practice, relax and keep your eyes look towards the horizon rather than at your feet..... or alternatively, leave one ski at the bottom of a green-run chair lift, and by the time you make it down on your one ski to the bottom you'll be a pro Wink

PS. best not to try that late in the afternoon you may be some time on the decent!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On a nursery slope...

Point the ski straight down the hill (so there's no inside/outside leg)...

Pick one leg up (typically your weaker leg)...

Now, turn the "right" way (bottom leg outside).,,

Should work very well with no problem!

Repeat, but turn the "wrong" way...

At least you'll find out what's causing you to NOT able to stay on that ski!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Start by skiing in a traverse and picking up your downhill ski. Now you sre engaging your outside edge which is the first step. Then make the traverse a bit wavy to get used to steering by changing the outside edge angle.

Next step is to pick up the outside ski when turnng. When you can do that it's time to give it a go.

And yes, kids are irritatingly good at it. My son (12) goes more or less full speed down red runs on one ski....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Start by skiing in a traverse and picking up your downhill ski. Now you sre engaging your outside edge which is the first step. Then make the traverse a bit wavy to get used to steering by changing the outside edge angle.

I think that's the best way to start. We were doing that yesterday with easiski, then turning on that uphill ski (which is the easy way to go) then swapping legs after the turn. Just practice it, whenever possible, skiing with kids, easy runs etc. We were told you can't do too much one-legged skiing, great for the balance.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Doing proper one legged skiing with poles balanced across wrists, as described on the instructor "Fast Track" thread is seriously difficult - but that's why they're potential instructors and most of us aren't! wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr Pieholeo, If I am really careful I can just about do a single turn on a single ski - it is probably more often the outside one which you say you say you can also manage. Initially I had problems doing even that and following a comment from an instructor I realised that tummy muscles seemed to have a lot to do with it. If I engaged my core tummy muscles lifting and holding the ski became easier. I still don't posses said core muscles, but even trying to engage what I have makes it easier. If I want to lift a ski these days my thought is 'clench tummy' and this seems to help me. It might help others. I bet to ski properly on one ski requires great core muscles.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Pieholeo, The trick (for me) is to be able to stand, slide, and stay on a completely flat ski. Best done one a very gentle slope, down the fall line. If you find you are making even the slightest turn, you are not on a flat ski ! Repeat with the other leg, Once you can do this, roll the ski onto an edge, and back again -- and then onto the other edge. Try it without poles too Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Pieholeo, I'm afraid the reason I can probably do it is because I started skiing 42 years ago, I could ski 6 years before I could ride a bike and had so many lessons at a young age that a lot of things became instinctive
snow report
funny think with skiiing on one ski - I can do it reasonable well when I have both skis on and one lifted up. If I actually remove the unused ski then I find it really difficult. I think it is psychological - easier to relax if you know you can put the other ski down if you need it.
snow conditions
Fore/aft balance is key - can't be done from the backseat - which is one reason it's a good exercise. On a gentle slope, concentrate on rolling the knee to get on edge. It takes commitment.
ski holidays
In the three valleys a couple of years ago I saw a middle aged lady with only one leg (and ski). She skied gracefully and seemingly effortlessly even through the afternoon mayhem on the home run. I'd be happy if I could ski as well as she did. Did idly wonder if she learnt to ski with or without the leg.
latest report
kerb, Hunmling isn`t it! A resort in Bavaria I spent some time in during the 80`s was a centre for teaching disabled skiers, I was awed by their ability!

My sons, who learned to ski young, have no problem skiing on one ski. (Indeed one of them this Xmas broke a binding miles from no where and skied back to the resort on just one ski with no real problems.) I, however, simply can not stop the ski that I have lifted off the ground wobbling so that either front or back touches the ground. Any tips appreciated! Smile
ski holidays
You could try that 1000 step drill. It's a reasonably safe way to getting used to weighting the uphill ski a bit more.

This one

http://youtube.com/v/YWwfI52HCBM
snow report
I wonder if skiers that were also boarders would find it easier to learn to ski on one leg?
ski holidays
It's all about the ankle joint; most intermediate skiers ski with their ankles fixed firmly in one position, usually with the skins pressed firmly against the front of the boot.

However, your skins should only be pressed up against the front of the boot at the last stage of the turn - when you're in the low flexed position. When you iniatiate the next turn by rising out of the previous turn, the first movement should be to unflex your ankle so that your shin is no longer pressed up against the front of your boot, it enables the ski to be flattened much more easily. When the ski is flat it can then be turned using the hip joint. This is the way you should ski on 2 skis; skiing on one ski is the same, it just needs a bit of extra balance.

One legged skiing is, in my opinion, the best drill for anyone progressing from intermediate; there is no way that you can turn without flattening your ski first. Watch a good skier on a groomed piste and notice how their skis never leave the snow - no steps or vigorous jump type turns etc.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/Y9rCio0_X2g
latest report
Interesting. tiffin, for some reason I have never thought of alternating from one ski to the other whist skiing downhill. I have only done so to 'herringbone' up hill or to 'skate' over flat bits. On down hill bits I have just tried to ski with one ski lifted all the time. I shall have to try the exercise demonstrated in the video next time I go skiing!

All tips gratefully received Smile Thank you.
snow conditions
I've done it once. Fell over, ski came off and got somewhat left behind. There was no one about so rather than climb back up to errant ski, I did a one legged circuit to get back to it. The trick is to keep the ski-less leg close to the ski leg for easier balance. I'm sure I didn't look anything like as graceful as the chap in the video, haha!
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
The trick is to keep the ski-less leg close to the ski leg for easier balance.

Yes, that too!

For many who can do it easily, it may seem bleeding obvious. But in skiing, nothing can be taken for granted.
snow report
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
Advice so far, summarized:

1) Be 10.

2) Just do it.
It won't make you feel any better - but he was 7 when that video was taken! It's something they work on a lot in race training - both for balance and because it's a useful recovery move when things go slightly wrong.
snow report
Work on balance and appropriate body movements whilst keep a calm and still upper body. The key is to feel comfortable skiing on the little toe edge.... See how much my head moves in this clip

https://vimeo.com/24766696
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
See how much my head moves in this clip
And compare it with how much his right leg moves. Skiing on one ski is about challenging/developing your lateral balance. In Scott's video clip he moved his foot a long way from side to side underneath his centre of mass. In a longer radius turn you'd probably be moving your centre of mass a long way across your feet (which is what I was doing this afternoon in a drill called a White Pass turn). To balance on the 'wrong' edge (your edge underneath your little toe), you need to be committed to moving more laterally than you normally do.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
I wonder if skiers that were also boarders would find it easier to learn to ski on one leg?

I can see where you're coming from, but no, in my opinion and indeed experience its of no help at all!
snow conditions
I practice one legged sking almost every day. I'm still crap at it. It really is one of the best drills going though, and the resulting development of balance gets you out of trouble so many times.
ski holidays
skimottaret, impressed here. Is it a skill that all instructors must be able to demonstrate? Also, is it easier with the other ski left on or taken off as in the video clip? I might find a VERY gentle empty slope on holiday and try it with a ski taken off if I can find somewhere suitable - it will probably be an interesting 10 minutes on my backside!!. Laughing

We were only doing basic learner drills with skis off the ground last April and only on gentle slopes, but I am going to claim that I was best at it in our group at the time. I being asked to do it all sorts of ways, uphill and downhill skis off the ground, running the tips of the lifted ski along the surface and also a weird one when he asked me to lift an uphill ski and cross it over the downhill hill ski in the air and sort of point my uphill knee down the mountain, I wasn't entirely certain what skill I was learning, but I know I made a pretty good job of it at the time and was proud of being able to do it (Sorry, I shouldn't brag, but please allow me a little pride in a minor accomplishment I don't get many when I ski Embarassed )
snow conditions
Megamum, It must be, my son is an instructor and can ski for ages on one ski, he takes one off. I think I would spend most of my time on my backside too.
snow conditions
Megamum, do you sign your name with either hand as well wink we all have a strong and weak side, good to practice both...
latest report
Argh, lots to try next time I find myself at Mt. Tamworth then!
snow report
skimottaret, Laughing Yes, I said I shouldn't brag and I was wrong to do so, but just a little bit of one legged skiing on a gentle slope is always something I've been able to do, since IIRC Rob told me to engage my tummy when I tried it. Considering my complete lack of other skiing skills I was always a little surprised that I could manage it at all, but I do seem able to do it a little. I've been keeping up with this year too trying it when I've been practising at CFe this year and I know I've been changing legs between bends so I must have trying turns on both legs. I'd love your skill with it and I certainly can't go fast doing it, but as I know I can do it a little it might be something to work on, it might be something in skiing that I stand a chance of getting fairly good at. I'll see how we go on holiday if I think I'm making a decent job of it I'll get someone to video me and post it.
ski holidays
kerb wrote:
Megamum wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, but no, in my opinion and indeed experience its of no help at all!

Well, quite good skier, quite good boarder. I can't one-leg for the proverbial. Therefore: maybe.
snow report
snaftel wrote:
..... or alternatively, leave one ski at the bottom of a green-run chair lift, and by the time you make it down on your one ski to the bottom you'll be a pro Wink

Two of us used to occasionally leave one ski each at the bottom of a T-Bar on Cairngorm, then ride up together with a ski each on the outside foot. Perhaps my legs are weedy but the ride up felt a long way on one ski, had to swap foot for the ski back down to relieve the thigh-burn. Unlikely I could do that now.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 22-01-14 23:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I must admit I'd been wondering how to accomplish the one ski thing if you are by yourself without stranding a ski, esp. if you also have a set of poles to deal with and can't carry it.
ski holidays
I must admit I'd been wondering how to accomplish the one ski thing if you are by yourself without stranding a ski, esp. if you also have a set of poles to deal with and can't carry it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy