Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

a question about Val di Fassa, Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is planning a trip to Val di Fassa in March this year and is inviting to join him. This is going to be his 3rd trip to this place as he likes it very much. However, previously he went in January. As I have experienced quite a bad snow in the Alta Badia resort in Feb 2012, I am not so convinced that there will be good snow in Val di Fassa in March. But, apperantly, Alta Badia slopes are somehow lower than or shielded by higher mountains around them and therefore they have usually lesser snow, but I don't know if this is true.

I have looked at the snow history of Val di Fassa and it does not really tell much as there are different slopes in the area which is huge.

I appreciate advices from the personal experience of skiing/boarding in Val di Fassa in Feb/Mar.
Cheers
F
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to the Dolomites 3rd week in March for 5 or 6 years and there has always been enough snow for me. They manage the snow very well in my view. Some years there has not been a lot of snow around the pistes and sometimes the snow is soft / slushy in the warm afternoons, but I am a piste skier, not off piste (yet) and I am sufficiently happy with the situation that I am going again this year, 3rd week of March. Enjoy the sunshine, the ambience, the skiing, the food and the drink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fier, there is a huge amount of snow in the area at the moment, and I have every faith that it will easily last through March. 2012 was not a great year for the Dolomites, but they only had a fraction of the current snow level over the whole season. I was there in March that year, and while the snow cover was not the best, the vast majority was open and the skiing was still good.

Book it, or miss out on some of the best conditions in years. More details on the Arabba snow conditions thread.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JohnHSmith wrote:
I have been to the Dolomites 3rd week in March for 5 or 6 years and there has always been enough snow for me. They manage the snow very well in my view. Some years there has not been a lot of snow around the pistes and sometimes the snow is soft / slushy in the warm afternoons, but I am a piste skier, not off piste (yet) and I am sufficiently happy with the situation that I am going again this year, 3rd week of March. Enjoy the sunshine, the ambience, the skiing, the food and the drink

what he said - this will be my 3rd week in a row going c. 15th March, I'm more than happy that there will be plenty around the sella ronda and especially with the falls we've had in Jan, I'm considering to extend the trip by another week to ski 'all the bits I haven't done yet' to include val Di Fassa, cortina, alleghe, alpe de susi etc. I'm confident that most or all of these sectors will have good skiing. March 2013 was significantly better than 2012 - even on 'bad snow years' - 2012 pretty much everywhere I wanted to go to was open - they are excellent at managing the snow - put the french resorts to shame..

Run down from Santa Croce in 2012 - still great fun

24 March 2012

24 March 2013 - the same lift line - Piza Pranseiers (from a slightly different angle)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, I did not expect so much info on a very narrow subject. Thank you very much!
I see. It was not only me, than. I have already been to Mayrhofen, Austria this year and the snow was great. So this is going to be the 2nd trip this season, hence
my hesitation. Jeez, two or three trips used to be the norm for me in the "pre-crisis" times!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fier wrote:
Hello everyone,

But, apperantly, Alta Badia slopes are somehow lower than or shielded by higher mountains around them and therefore they have usually lesser snow, but I don't know if this is true.

Cheers
F

I don't think the Alta badia slopes are much lower than other resorts around the sella ronda. I think the reason ALta badia usually gets less snow than Val Di Fassa is because the snow that usually falls in the Dolomites comes from a southerly or south westerly direction and hence will hit Val Di fassa first and then the Gardena valley and Alta badia after. This season though seems to be an exception as there are high snow depths in the ALta Badia, Cortina and Val Pusteria regions. Also don't forget that snow depths will vary even wthin a particular region, valley or village.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I skiing in Alta Badia in April 2012!. It had not snowed in two months. All the pistes were open but the mountain was green. Skiing through the gold course in Corvara whilst people were play golf was interesting. Their snow making and management is nothing short of miraculous.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy