Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yak wool..... the new merino??

Poster: A snowHead
Came across these yak wool base-layers recently..... http://www.kora.net

It's claimed to be 40% warmer than merino and has 66% greater air permeability and 17% greater water vapour permeability.

Anyone tested/rate these? Or are they just the latest fad in thermals?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomb, No idea about the wool, but love Yak steaks - red meat thats healthier than chicken - so would suspect the wool is great too Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, I find that wet Merino smells like a wet sheep. Will this stuff smell of wet yak?

Not sure which is worse...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bones, never had a yak steak... Will definitely add it to my list of animals to eat Very Happy

CathS, can't say I've been close enough to a wet sheep to know what one smells like ... Even though I'm Welsh Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomb,
Quote:

Even though I'm Welsh

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

They look pricey though Confused - always paid less than half that price for my merino, icebreaker/smartwool.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In Aldi today Mrs A had to struggle hard to resist the merino leggings reduced to £9.99. She's already got two other pairs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Same here, although I've been using more synthetic lately..... Find merino too soggy rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This looks very interesting. I've been using merino base layers since day one of skiing and have loved them. However, I'm always on the lookout for warmer things (I get cold very easily) and if this fabric breathes and wicks moisture as well as – or better than – merino and is warmer, then I'm willing to give it a try.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a kiwi and refuse to live in the UK without a good merino base layer. I've tried em all including the yak ones and don't think the Yak was any warmer at all - if anything it was thinner and it was a bit itchy to be honest so deffo gimmick in my book, I don't much rate alpaca either (deffo itchy). I feel itch easily and the trick is always make sure any merino you want to wear next to skin is 100% superfine and if you want warmth then don't buy the thin rubbish - has to be over 200gsm. I've learned the hard way to shell out for the decent stuff, rule of thumb - if its merino and its cheap fine but just don't expect it to feel nice or perform well
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Check the dates on the original postings in this thread wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@alisonbells, Relevant info for this time of year - thanks for posting.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven't had the chance to try them out myself, but I'm curious to hear if anyone in the community has given them a shot. As for whether they're just a passing fad, it's hard to say. Sometimes new materials can really shake things up in the thermal wear world. Oh, and if you're interested, I also found this interesting website that offers a wide range of yarns, including polyester spun yarns. You might want to check it out https://zhinkxc.com/collection/100-polyester-spun-yarn. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 4-01-24 12:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seems like the fad has passed - no posts since November 2014
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My sister brought me a Yak wool jumper back from her annapurna trek - was the warmest garment of clothing I've ever worn. Too warm most of the time......but unfortunately also v itchy and made me smell like....well a Yak Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brought a yak wool pullover back from Nepal in 1988 after the Annapurna circuit. A few months later I burned it in the garden as an anti moth measure. Never had moths in anything before or since.
snow conditions
Bought the Kora tops and bottoms about a month ago. Put the shirt on and immediately took it off, didn't even try the pants. Too scratchy. I think they lie about their stuff. Not a fan!
snow report
Sounds like something Niles and Frazier would vie over …..
snow report
Cahmere, dahrling. Nothing warmer
snow conditions
DJL wrote:
Seems like the fad has passed - no posts since November 2014

Doesn’t sound like it even got as far as a fad.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy