Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is 3 too young to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
tl; dr: 3 isn't too young to ski.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First part of this was our youngest at 22 months.

http://youtube.com/v/O1xovYeMdUI
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okanagan, trooper-level herring bone walking from big sibling there near the start. Hahaha. Excellent thanks for sharing.

Mods: please rename this thread "Is nearly 2 too young to ski?" Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my 2 were both 3 - with ESF. Drop them off at the ski kindergarten place with a little pack of biscuits/choc bar in their pocket - that is the most important thing when sending kids to ski school. Walk away and enjoy your morning of skiing. Ive never put mine in full days - my ski hol is a family hol and we do family stuff in the afternoon - swim, sledge, chuck snowballs, drink wine and have a siesta etc snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kids are all different, some want to, some don't.
Avoid big classes like the plague. Our experience with my only just 4 year old and a friend's 3 year old was one morning in ESF where they came back unhappy, trailing along at the back with an instructor who didn't speak English to them. Now, admittedly the minimum age was supposed to be 4, and the instructor twigged the 3 year old, but he wouldn't believe our daughter was 4 either, because she was tiny. So the rest of that holiday they played in the snow, and slid around with us very slowly in snow ploughs. The 3 year old was very put off, my daughter wasn't. I taught her to plough on the dry slope back home (the perks of being an instructor), the following year she had a couple of 1:1 lessons, and she was happy on most of the blues and has never looked back.
My other experience is with another instructor's children. The older one, at 3, was completely uninterested in Daddy teaching him on the dry slope; at just 4 he managed to plough the basic green run in resort by the end of a week's worth of 1:1's. His little brother is a different thing altogether, he has to do everything his big brother is doing, and at 3 1/2 he can plough slowly round cones from the top of a 50m slope and get up the drag lift. It's very cute! (Ok, I'm biased, he's my Godson).
So yes, it can work, but in small doses, keeping it fun, at the child's pace, in very small groups. It's also very difficult to specifically teach children that age, they have to discover and feel it, you can't say 'Do this' like you do with older children.
Mr Pieholeo, on the holiday with the reluctant 4 year old, yes, my instructor friend wished he was back at work!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

It's also very difficult to specifically teach children that age, they have to discover and feel it, you can't say 'Do this' like you do with older children.

Too true. When my grand-daughter started just going straight downhill "hands on knees" she was picking up a little too much speed even on a very flat little nursery slope. My daughter ran back and forth, across the slope, in front of her and Ella just "aimed" for her - and it worked! If we'd tried telling her to steer her feet in that direction it would have gone in one ear and out the other.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep. I learned to ski backwards, and just pootled down a nursery slope skiing switch (badly). Pie Jr just unthinkingly followed. If I'd tried to drone on about pushing one foot or the other, or twisting this or that - no chance.

It's like walking. Kids learn best by experimentation and error. You don't say 'bend this joint, then extend your foot outwards, go on - try!'. In fact you don't really say anything. They toddle, fall over, hurt themselves, walk, and eventually they just stop falling over.

Until they start drinking.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr Pieholeo, So true! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr Pieholeo, did Pie Jnr do more on the snowboard or has he decided snowboarding is for losers?

Two of my grand-daughters - Ella, in the pictures above, and her little sister Beth, will be out with me early April. Beth will just have turned 2. She's a tall, strong, girl and has responded well to a swimming class for older kids which she was initially taken to in error - but she enjoyed it so much, and listened, and copied the others, that she's stayed there. That suggests she might be up for some playing on skis - pretty sure she'll want to have a go. The daughter of French neighbours (father an outdoor sports instructor and very much a mountain man) was on the nursery slope on those little plastic strap on skis the other day - she's exactly the same age as Beth, though half the size, so I was wondering about trying those. Davidof, who knows a bit about skiing and teaching kids, reckons that proper alpine boots and skis aren't appropriate at that age. I'm thinking I might be able to get a set of Decathlon's nice wooden ones in their end of season sale - they start reducing stuff in March.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, try these http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/flypage/2873 snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah, they do look sweet! Though those poles would go straight in the bin, I think - hate to see tinies flailing round with poles. Thanks.

Those little skis are probably really good for their balance, as they couldn't "lean on" the boots like they can in proper ski boots. Like cross-country skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, meanie! I am sure she would love to poke and dig with the poles, all part of the fun Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Mr Pieholeo, did Pie Jnr do more on the snowboard or has he decided snowboarding is for losers?

We did a fair bit but focused on the skiing. He can't really turn on the board without catching an edge. We'll persevere with it though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When they're really tiny the plastic skis are ok - but a lot have "bindings" which only fix at the front - XC style - and if you have soft snow boots too it can be tricky for them as the ski doesn't really stay aligned with the foot that well given 2 lots of sloppy attachment and the imprecise movements of a young child! If their feet are big enough and you can find them tiny (70cm) alpine skis and soft boots which fit a proper binding (like http://buy-ski.glisshop.co.uk/ski_boot/nordica/nordy-13540.html) are probably the best option if you intend to do any actual sliding rather than just walking around in the snow. In the video ours has these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001UCEIDC?tag=amz07b-21 which adjust from mondo point 16 to 18.5 (continental 25-29, UK 8-11 kids) which lasted him about 3 years.

We also used the kit from these people: http://www.applerise.com/kidski/index.html when ours first started.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Okanagan, the Nordy boots are fab, I didn't see them when mine was teeny tiny only afterwards, fortunately he was big and strong for age and so we were ok with a normal little rear entry first pair.
latest report
+1 for Nordy boots. Fantastic.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the above, interesting reading as I'm looking to launch my 3.5 year old onto the slopes this year.

On the subject of boots, how important is it for a toddler to get exactly 'the right size' like an adult needs?? Seeing as their ski day will be limited to an hour or so, they won't be doing anything too technical, and of course their feet grow so quickly, even potentially before the end of the season if she has a growth spurt. I would obviously err on the side of large rather than snug as comfort is probably more important than anything else. I'm not sure I'd get great objective feedback from her when she tries them on either, and clearly I can't press down on the toes to check fit like I would with normal shoes.

The local sports shop is selling new kids Nordica boots for chf 30 (about £20) in a sale, so it doesn't make sense to rent for the season, seeing as she already has a pair of skis that I bought second hand for £20 too.
snow report
My five year old started when he was three and loved it.

My three year old has started this season and is the only one in his class (of three year olds) who can't go up a button lift by himself. Poor deprived child.

So, in a nutshell, if you accept the assertion that evidence is indeed the plural of anecdote, then 3 is either old enough or too old.
ski holidays
Whitters, not that important for really little ones, obviously you don't want them to be able to pull their feet out. You can check by pressing down on the inner boot toe, some of the Head ones have a 'window' there so you can check. You can also pull out the insole and have them stand on that to get an idea of the size. If you need to take up room in the kids boot use extra kid size insoles (you can get thermal foil backed ones very cheaply) underneath the inner boot between it and the shell. To get more room take them out again.

There are adjustable boots you can get too, Okanagan mentions the Roces one in her post above, there are others too made by Roxa and Full Tilt.

For £20 for a little kids boot you can't go wrong. You will sell them on again after and get your money back.
snow report
Whitters, re boot fitting, I've found it pretty easy for my kids.

My older one used the Roces adjustable boots until recently, they are excellent although I think their sizing is a little large, i.e. their 16 is more like a 16.5-17.

My youngest has just gone into roces adjustables, but was in Head kids boots which have a window in the inner by the toes so you can check the fit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kids-Head-carve-X1-Ski-Boots-/181305581791?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboard_Boots_CV&hash=item2a36a7a0df

Absent the window, I fit my kids similar to an adult - i.e. pull the boot apart so you can do inner and shell separately, then its very easy to tell if there's much space in the shell and you can press down on the toes in the inner to see how they fit.

Although kids do grow, I and friends have had good success with starting out with double insoles/thick socks, and moving to thinner socks and single insoles to compensate. In the end with my daughter I squeezed an extra week out by removing insoles entirely (she was 3 and it didn't seem to affect her skiing!).

Like you I've gone for comfort over tightness when they're younger, but my son (6) now has a reasonably close fit to get round gates a bit quicker.
ski holidays
snowdave, agree, once they are good competent skiers then you need to get a more precise fit, but at 3-5 it's not critical.
snow report
sarah, snowdave, thanks - I'll take her to the shop and try the inner first (the window sounds like a great idea - I didn't look at the inner when I saw them in the shop), leaving a bit to spare for a bit of growth and comfort.
ski holidays
The younger the better:

http://youtube.com/v/Z_F01eV0Iqw

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2297694
snow report
altis, Laughing I remember that one
latest report
Quote:

meanie! I am sure she would love to poke and dig with the poles, all part of the fun

she can do that, but most definitely not when she's on the skis. Dangerous. I have decided just to take kids to the hire shop for their gear. It's cheap (especially if you get all the online discounts available through Skimium) and far easier. I've not had any trouble with boot sizes - they measure their feet and grab a pair of those little rear entry jobs off the shelf, and they always seem fine - the kids don't complain! Obviously once they are competent skiers, and older, it all changes but having started to build up a bit of a collection of kids skis and boots I sold them on ebay (for some ludicrously high prices Blush ) and won't bother any more.

What you do have to be careful of in some hire shops, with little beginners, is the length of ski - should be no more than chest height.
snow conditions
Okanagan wrote:

We also used the kit from these people: http://www.applerise.com/kidski/index.html when ours first started.

We use that stuff too and it's brilliant, especially the T-bar pole and one hand lifting harness. It's also a great website for tips on teaching toddlers to ski. A very practical approach.
snow report
I have been teaching mya to ski myself here in chatel for last 3 days, tbh I havent even gotten her a lift pass. Ive just been taking her on the flat in an area just up the road in chapelle where people have been doing that x country skiing instead as the incline has not been as steep. Ive been on foot and walking back wards.

latest report
Love the stance - no back seat there!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mistral_ski, very sweet Smile Do you know Chatel well? If not, you can take her up a lift without a lift pass, they just duck the barriers in Chatel at that age. At Pre la Joux you could take her up Rochassons chair, go for a hot choccie at Plaine Dranse and then come down via the green track through the trees all the way back, it's very flat and there is a very exciting for kids frozen waterfall on the way down where they can break off enormous icicles snowHead Sorry if you knew all that Embarassed
snow report
Quote:

Love the stance - no back seat there!

yes, that was my immediate response. snowHead
snow report
We first took our son to our local dry slope at the age of 3 yrs and 2 months for private lessons, mainly to get used to the skis / boots and the general clumsiness Laughing He did OK in his lessons and easily ploughed down the nursery slope, he wouldn't take any orders to start turns so advised the tutor not to force the issue. We took him to Les Gets last week for first trip (he's 4 now) and he was turning (confidently) within 45 mins of ski school. By Wednesday he was on the chairlifts and by the end of the week he was doing the blues with me...perfect technique as well, better than his mum. Followed my line perfectly.

He's got the bug now which is excellent because we haven't been since he was born. We're going to keep him ticking over whilst over here and plan to take him to Tamworth on a regular basis.
ski holidays
mistral_ski, how old is Mya?
latest report
mistral_ski, I didn't think they needed a lift pass in PDS until they were 5? We didn't get one when our daughter was 4. The following year we did buy one, and her instructor said we shouldn't have bothered because she was so little she didn't look 5
pam w, Mr Pieholeo, That's exactly how we teach even 5 year olds on the dry slope, ski backwards in front of them and get them to follow you. Works every time! Actually, have to resort to that with some adults too Wink
snow conditions
She's 3 and a half. I've known chatel since sat, never want to go home. I'm tempted to get some baby reins and take her up for that pre de joux green run. Can you hire them baby reins anyone know? Last day tomorrow, don't wanna go home. Sad
snow conditions
Just worried she will get tired on that long green run. But the waterfall sounds amazing.
ski holidays
mistral_ski, don't think you can hire reins, it is quite long. I think some of the classes of very little ones spend pretty much the entire lesson coming down that one run, it might take you more than an hour but not two, depends on the child, maybe next year then snowHead
snow report
She has a heart condition so concerned she will get very tired doing it, am going to take the 9year old down that one I think today. Smile
snow conditions
mistral_ski, enjoy your last day snowHead
ski holidays
loved it thanks. Smile Now looking to get out again in march for a long weekend.

Our dry slope wont allow Mya on now until she is 4 years old, so shes going to have a gap in her skiing career lol. which is really annoying as she really loved it too.
ski holidays
mistral_ski, might be as well - dry slopes aren't nearly such fun!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy