Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grimentz or Zinal as base for long weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are taking a cheeky ski weekend next week and have decided on taking a look at the Val D'Anniviers. At the moment we are thinking Grimentz looks the best option as a base for 3 nights. We are both advanced skiers. The resort sounds very beautiful, and we are not interested in après save for those beer and a couple of nice restaurants for dinner each night. Maybe we can find some fresh off piste to play in too. Accommodation options already look rather limited there, and Zinal has a bit more on offer in an online search. According to one search the new linking cable car is due to open this weekend.
Any thoughts as to which resort to go for?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think there's a lot to choose between them. I've spent a week staying at Grimentz, and it was easy enough to get the bus 'round to Zinal for 2 or 3 days in the week. Overall, I'd say there's slightly more off-piste options in Zinal than Grimentz, but I'd happily go for either
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perty, Good choice. Val'D A is a little-known gem, with loads of north-facing stashes. Zinal has the large semi-formal freeride area which is excellent. Grimentz a much more village feel - great little village centre and very nice community. Zinal within easy striking distance on the postbus.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
New Cable Car is not open this weekend. Expected opening at end of Jan, subject to testing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back. Snow is better in Zinal right now, so I would go for there.

New cable car, chamois piste, and freeride area not looking likely to be open in near future. But still loads of good snow and good routes to do
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grimentz booked, a basic apartment but in the old village, so I am really looking forward to it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back! Great snow on Friday and Sat-about a foot had fallen up top by the time we arrived in Grimentz at 2pm on Friday. Had a couple of hours playing in the powder off the sides of the pistes above the village. Then on Sat, thinking we were still having to use the bus to get to Zinal, I looked up from the bus stop to see skis in the new cable car. In the end we were in the inaugural cable car ride up to Zinal and a day in the lovely deep snow. The freeride area was open, and the snow stayed soft and fluffy for all of the day. We couldn't believe how empty the mountain was. The red/black down to Zinal was in perfect condition.

Unfortunately the wind blew on Saturday night, and the stashes of lovely fresh snow all blew away exposing huge areas of grass and rocks where the day before there had been knee deep fresh snow. We went over to Zinal to ski the Chamois piste back to Grimentz, but the run was closed, I think because of the avalanche risk (it was open on Saturday, but we took the cable car back down). The two areas we thought really complimented each other. Zinal was great for lift accessible off piste on Sat, but rather less fun in the flat light of Sunday, where the more varied topography in Grimentz made the pistes more interesting and fun to ski, even though the visibility was poor.
The new cable car seems to be busy in both directions,,and I guess most visitors would hale it a big success.
We loved the village. Had 2 great meals in the Hotel de Moiry-food that exceeds the 2 star rating of the hotel itself by miles!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perty, glad you had fun. If you come back PM me and I can recommend IFGMA guides who can make a huge difference to your weekend.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy