Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh dear, I think we're screwed...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If memory serves me well I believe that CMF only has a Cat 1 ILS so 550 meters required to land on the southerly runway. Airfield elevation is 778 feet amsl. Cloud forecast are above aerodrome level not sea level. Also it is a steeper than normal approach, so if you have more than say an 7-8 knot tailwind, then it goes into the realms of a proper " Steep Approach" which they are not certified to carry out and all aircraft must be fitted with the appropriate equipment and Crews trained accordingly.
So you must then land on the northerly which is a Visual Circle to Land, which has its own separate requirements and you cannot land on the that runway at night due terrain issues.

Hope this helps explain a few things Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing mainly because I don't have to ever do this!
If you all insist on starting and ending your ski trips on a Saturday no wonder the airports struggle rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, chopkins13, how did it go?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
michaelbury17 wrote:
I think the issue is whether you fly into Chambery, Grenoble or Geneva these are all pretty small airports & most likely 40 weeks of the year they cope adequately the issue being Saturday turn around ski trips...swamped & we just have to deal with it, like others have mentioned, smile you are about to experience awesome thrills on the hill together with fantastic scenery & great apres....enough said Little Angel

Not quite. Chambery could make life easier for everyone if they got themselves organised and dropped the complacent attitude of "It is OK for the other 40 weeks" approach that you accept. Peak passenger numbers is certainly a huge issue but some of the impact of that could be addressed by better queue/crowd management. The recent comments by posters show that Chambery's incompetence in this area is a (the?) major gripe. I've used Chambery many times and it has varied between OK and pretty bad but last Saturday (and I have seen it busier), they took their incompetence to a new and higher level. Still, at least, I won't have to endure the delights of the half-term Saturdays.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
michaelbury17 wrote:
I think the issue is whether you fly into Chambery, Grenoble or Geneva these are all pretty small airports & most likely 40 weeks of the year they cope adequately the issue being Saturday turn around ski trips...swamped & we just have to deal with it, like others have mentioned, smile you are about to experience awesome thrills on the hill together with fantastic scenery & great apres....enough said Little Angel

I wouldn't say Geneva was particularly small, no Heathrow, but not small.

Chambery is crap.
If you land, which we have every time, it is fine. Collecting luggage is quite a scrumfest but on the whole OK.
Departing is a whole other world of pain.
The only plus side of departing from there is that you don't get ripped off so heavily on food and drink as you do at GVA. And you don't have to go through security until you flight is actually called.
At GVA we have had to throw away countless drinks at the charter terminal only to be bused into the main part for a 5euro bottle of coke. Only Yesterday, after a misunderstanding on a menu special offer, i had to stand my ground with the restaurant manager after they tried to charge me 76euro for 4xburger and chips. In the end we walked out leaving four trays say at the till. F that, i am quite free and easy with cash on holiday but that was a p1ss take.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Salzburg airport also had issues yesterday the 18th due to fog
Some flights moved to Munich though those seemed to be Thompson and possibly Thomas Cook flights
There were Jet2, Easy Jet, Ryan air and BA flights that were landing and getting away, by lunch time anyway not sure how bad it was earlier in the day.
Both terminals were a bit of a scrum though
Fortunately we were only about 30 minutes late leaving
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Corduroy, if you can't get to the Migros supermarket - at the station end of the airport - which is a good source of picnic stuff, sandwiches, fruit, etc then the answer to Gva is to take a cheese buttie. When I pick up people arriving at Gva, which is quite frequent, I always take some provisions for them. And on the drive in I often stop at the boulangerie in Sallanches, near the cinema, which is open long hours, to pick up some sustaining rations.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy