Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Hawx 80x or Salomon Quest 100 (Women) first time buyer!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I really need some advice about boot buying.
I am an intermediate level skier (I guess). Skied for just over 4 weeks in total. Comfortable on easier blacks and mogully reds. I don't ski particularly fast or aggressively. I weigh 55 kilos and am about 5 feet 3 inches tall, slender built. I however have muscular legs and quite short lower legs.

I bought some Atomic Hawx 80's at the weekend after 3 days of skiiing in too big rented Lange boots. I tried a number of pairs on before buying but the Atomic's seemed most comfortable. There wasn't a huge selection but my feet went to sleep in a couple of other pairs that I tried.

I commented that the flex on the Atomic's seemed really stiff at the time, particularly in comparison to the rental boots.

Anyway, I was happy at the time but have been wearing the boots around the house and now I am not so sure of the fit. They just seem a little spacious for me and I wonder whether the cuff may be too high for my shortish lower legs (I feel it mostly in the back of my calves, if you know what I mean? I am living in Spain and went to my local intersport this week to try on some other pairs. I wanted to try the Hawx in a half size smaller but it was out of stock - would it make much difference?

That is when I tried the Salomon Quest 100. They didn't have my size in stock (1/2 size too big) but the boot I tried, although slightly on the long side seemed to be more of a comforting fit in the foot.

The assistant kept telling me that the Atomic boot is a MUCH better boot and is the correct size for me so now I am flummoxed as to what to do. (It would be at no loss for them to change the boots, the price is exactly the same).

Can anyone advise me here? I know that boots are a personal thing but this is my first time buying and having skiied in some really uncomfortable (tight) and also too big rental boots in the past, I now know how important it is to get the right boot, it makes SO much difference to your skiing.

Do you think the 100 flex of the Salomon would be too much for me? It felt a little less stiff than the Atomic in my opinion, it may be because it is only 3 buckles?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not a huge expert on boots but the Salomon's should actually be stiffer than the Atomic's, as the higher the number, the stiffer they are. Also, considering you are (not to offend!), a smaller lady, I'd say you might be helped by a less stiff boot. That's just my tuppence worth anyway, as I say, I'm by no means an expert, just going off what I've read or been told by friends and people who work in ski shops.

Feel free to disregard this if it's absolute rubbish!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
katn57, at 55kg and 5'3" a flex of 100 seems fairly high, but this is not an exact science. If you think they are too big a few days after buying them, they are definitely too big. After a few weeks of use they'll be gaping.

The assistant might be pointing out that one boot is suitable for a more advanced skiier than another, but there isn't really such a thing as a "better" boot. What fits you best and suits your skiing is the best boot.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy