Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

House Extension V's Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Leave the discussion and the booking until just before you go. That way when the builders have already used up all your contingency funds and any other spare cash, you won't be able to afford to go and therefore won't need to have a difficult conversation with your other half (well, not about the skiing anyway) wink

More seriously, I agree with leave the discussion until you have got to know the builder and then book late.

We are aficionados of the late additional holiday booking and have had many holidays where we book the time off work and then have a frenzy of ringing around a couple of days before to see what the various operators / old chalets may have. Particularly towards the end of the season we have had incredible bargains - especially when you consider that you can also limit your choices to where there is still good snow at that point. As an example, we had an incredible week in a beautiful chalet for 10 or 12 in Le Fornet, VDI, many years ago where I booked it on the morning we left and ended up in an empty chalet after a two foot dump of snow for the very last week of the season. The Chalet had a couple as chalet girl/ chef/ a ski guide who were great so we basically skied with them all week and told them not to bother with the usual formalities. Good company, a beautiful chalet to ourselves and empty slopes covered in powder. One of the best ski holidays we've ever had.

We have also gone away (another time) with the builders doing a huge extension to our house (loft and 2 storey extension across the back of the house) - we got on really well with our builder who came recommended and whom we completely trusted. We missed the worst of the knockthrough/ no water/ no heating etc, but I guess we were lucky as I would trust this bloke with my kids's lives. Sadly, he's retired now just when we are about to do something similar.

Good luck either way
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good evening everyone and thanks for taking the time to read and post your thoughts.

It’s funny how posts are interpreted and I guess that’s the beauty of an internet forum. Lots of food for thought for us. The main priority is the building works bet if we can squeeze in a wee trip then happy days. Will let you know how we get on as I am sure I will have a few questions in the not too distant future
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geoffknight wrote:
peanuthead, if there is a payment plan in place i.e. Staggered payments that suit both, then the builders will want to get the job finished on time or ahead of schedule. The builder can call , which they would have to do if customer was at work, if there any questions, that far down the line they should be fully aware of the work and customers requirementsSunshine81, if you do go away, make sure that all materials needed whilst away you are providing are on site before you go and your builder will be able to crack on whilst away. It's all down to your trust in the builder, which TBH if you don't have why are you contracting them to build the extension.

Well as a building contractor I would offer the following as my comment:

1. 1st & foremost if at this stage you are even questioning whether you trust your main contractor before they have even started on site is slightly worrying & maybe you are laying the foundations [no pun intended] for a dispute.
2. You really ought to have a formal contract in place such as a JCT Dom 2, I assume you are not using a building surveyor or architect to manage the works, even more reason to enter into a legally binding contract. This protects your interests & those of the MC & if they are bona fida they would welcome the contract.
3. If you have a contract in place this will also cover T & C's in respect of payment, DO NOT [NEVER EVER] PAY UPFRONT for any works but adhere to the above contract ie: make payments on time when certified, contractors just like clients actually like to be paid & on time.
4. We often accept keys for residential properties, schools & offices & have never had any allegations of theft issued against us, but I acknowledge their could be a first & like any industry you will always get thieves - unfortunate but true, so please don't judge us all.
5. From the point of a MC it would be fantastic if a client were to go away for a week, progress can be accelerated which is to the benefit o the client Very Happy & the MC, win win for all & before you ask, no we would not issue a credit.
6. I think to many clients watch TV programs which portray 'builders from hell' or 'cowboy builders' don't believe everything you watch, read etc. I would suggest that unfortunately 'some' clients haven't got a clue of what they actually expect at the end of the works, constantly change their minds ie: move the wall 150mm this way, extra electrical points etc & then get annoyed when their builder issues the FA with the variations. Why, when in most circumstances we submit tenders on a fixed basis under competitive terms based upon drawings & a specification, we are not mind readers!
7. My recommendations are always instruct & pay for a building surveyor/architect to act on your behalf this is their specialty & they can save you money & hassle & TBH builders much prefer this, no falling out as they act between you & your preferred contractor.
8. If all else fails I can always act on your behalf as a 'claims dispute advisor'.

Then book your ski holiday & go & enjoy yourselves, life's to short for all the aggro.

BTW I thought this was a ski/boarding forum, apologies for going off topic

Michael

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not just give all trades a week off, go on eosb and then everyone back on site Monday morning? After months of work pitch it as a break from building work to wife.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had a few days away in Holland when we were having our extension built. It allowed the builders an opportunity to knock through the wall from the kitchen into the new extension and for the new boiler and radiators to be installed (old boiler was in the kitchen, new one in the garage). It was a welcome relief to get away from the dust and noise, especially as it all coincided with school holidays.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mistress Panda wrote:
Why not just give all trades a week off, go on eosb and then everyone back on site Monday morning? After months of work pitch it as a break from building work to wife.

Cos if you were a tradesman doing a job and told you weren't needed for a week, and you still need to put bread on table and pay your crew, good chance you'll start getting stuck into another job. When the other clients return, it may be tricky to be able to devote all your time and energy into both jobs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
peanuthead, some of ours had a week off to go to Spain but worked their @rses off for 14 days on the trot before 'the boss' would let them go. There was plenty of other stuff to be done while the labourers were missing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sunshine81, apologies for giving you both barrels last night, I had had one of those days (the old man was in hospital having an operation and I'd had a few drams) and your comment about the stealing was like a red rag to a bull.
Everything that michaelbury17, says is sound advice. I would even recommend asking to sit down with the MC for a pre-start meeting. Ask him for a (weather permitting) programme schedule. Explain to him that you may want to head off for a week mid build and ask which weeks are most convenient/ least problematic. Do not worry too much about dreaded 'extras' on the invoice as any site variations will have to be agreed/ signed for by yourself. But do be aware that any alteration to the plan will involve a change in contract price. The invoice is usually the last contact with the client (apart from any snagging work) and no one wants to leave a nasty, taking the p, sting in the tail as word of mouth is gospel.
I definitely wouldn't recommend giving all trades the week off, they will only have to start another job (not necessarily the same site for each trade) and no doubt will not re-appear exactly 1 week later.
Hopefully as long as you haven't employed a guy with only a mobile number who happened to be in the area and whose van is liveried up with detachable magnetic company details then you should be ok.
Hope you score a bargain on the slopes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thought this was a survey - Skiing wins every time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy