Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

House Extension V's Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Evening folks,

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. We are extending the house, the work is due to start in Feb 2014 and be finished by the beginning of May 2014. All our money is going into this project so skiing is not on the cards this year. Unless…

I am trying to convince the wife that we should go for a week in April and book something last minute. She is apprehensive about leaving the house for a week in the hands of the builder and us not being about to make sure the property is secure and nothing goes walk about (we will be living in the house throughout the building works). My view is that if the builder or any of his subbies want to steal anything they will do it anyway as we are out at work all day through the week. I also don’t think that they will but perhaps that’s me being a bit naive?

If we are to go then it will have to be a very last minute booking (which is great as we can see where the snow is) although we have a group of friends in Avoriaz so if we could get there that would be ace.

Anyone got recommendations for Tour Op’s? We usually just book everything ourselves but I think it might have to be with a Tour Op for April as I can’t commit to booking cheap flights now. I guess we would be looking to go around the 12/13th April but can go mid-week as well if we can find something.

Thanks in advance
Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the builders are starting in February, by April, you should have a good feel as to how things are going.
For two people I would go for tour op with flight & transfer included, you may get cheap flights but by the time you have added a transfer, the costs add up. look at what Silverski have available at the moment that includes flights, some offers are at £300ish for flight, transfer and chalet accommodation, by the time I added up fuel to the airport, parking, flight, transfer, it would have cost me £320 just to get to the resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone who can house sit for you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tour ops all pretty much the same, try Iglu, or even local travel agents they can find some good deals. Re security if there are a good builder they will respect your property, I do same type of work and have been given keys to lots of customers houses,, by the time you are thinking of booking you will know if you can trust them. Good luck, adding a ski trip on to a major build isn't going to be easy Toofy Grin but you both may find its nice to get away from the work and unavoidable disruption to normal home life.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like a great idea to me. Very last minute booking with a TO sounds like the way to go, so there is no advance commitment at all, before you've got to know the builder. You'll be ready for a break.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When booking holidays with TO's I've never had anyone beat Crystal on price.

As the others have said go for it, we left a house renovation in the middle of a new roof getting put on, new central heating system and buggered off to the Maldives for a fortnight. If it's stopping you from enjoying something you enjoy you may resent it for a while.... Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for your comments everyone. I also think it's a great idea (leaving it last minute to see how the building work is getting on) and suspect that we will be ready for a break having had the house turned upside down.

Nadenoodlee, no one really suitable to house sit, not sure I would want to place that responsibility on any of my pals and we have no family local to us.

Right, Operation Convince The Wife will commence at 19:00 hours tomorrow when we are back from work and a glass of wine has been poured. Wish me luck Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Operation Convince The Wife will commence at 19:00 hours tomorrow when we are back from work and a glass of wine has been poured

Too soon. Wait till the builders have been there a few weeks......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am so offended by you it's unbelievable. Yeah if the Main Contractor or his subbies are thieves then they will steal even more if you aren't home, go ski come back to a shell, your hidden cards will be maxed out, your home will be stripped bare and you'll be left wi SFA. I really hope that your contractor is a snowhead and reads this and pulls out, you deserve to be left in the lurch.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I really hope that your contractor is a snowhead and reads this and pulls out, you deserve to be left in the lurch
All the more ££££ to spend on skiing then Toofy Grin.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dode, why are you so offended?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why mention theft?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dode wrote:
Why mention theft?

Do you regularly give strangers the keys to your house?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I regularly accept keys for houses... Does that make me a thief
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why don't u answer the question? I mentioned what I did in my original post because it is clearly of concern to me.
snow conditions
Just saw it reply there. Frankly I don't know you so can't answer ur question but I am sure u are not.
ski holidays
If you aren't comfortable handing over your keys... Then I think you need to ask yourself a few questions.
1. Was your contractor recommended by friends/family
2. Have you asked for references
3. Did you simply go for the cheapest quote
latest report
dode wrote:
I regularly accept keys for houses... Does that make me a thief

I have dozens of sets of keys for clients houses. I can't understand why you would be offended by the suggestion that not every trades-person in the country is 100% honest. Most are, but it would be foolish to trust everyone all the time?
snow report
Sunshine81, I understand that it may be a leap of faith if it is your first experience of doing such a thing, does your contractor belong to a national federation?
snow conditions
Sunshine81, Once they are there a few days you will get an idea if you want to leave the keys or not. Will also be helpful if OH builds up a bit of trust in them before you commence Operation Convince The Wife.

I like it when people go away and leave me to get on with a fixed price job. You can get twice as much work done when you don't have to leave the house liveable in every evening.
ski holidays
Thornyhill, IMV the suggestion was stronger than that
ski holidays
dode, If you put down your chip long enough to read the post Sunshine81 says

Quote:

.....don’t think that they will but perhaps that’s me being a bit naive?

So what was the strong suggestion?
snow report
If the builder or any of his subbies want to steal anything they will... It might even be naive to suggest otherwise
ski holidays
erm - He said he might be naive because he doesn't think they will. Do you lock up your tools?
snow report
Exactly my point. If he employs a reputable contractor then why mention theft... Do u lock your car?
snow report
Of course I lock my car. I wouldn't expect people to get offended by the suggestion that someone might steal it.
ski holidays
But the garage might when you hand it over for an mot...
ski holidays
Northern Ireland - Garages don't do MOT's. Anyway - would be useless without the tax book.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know, it's absurd isn't it
ski holidays
Sunshine81, tbh, if you have any doubts over your contractor, which may or may not be the case, then call it off before work starts, and re tender
latest report
My concern with going is if something comes up, a question over how something should be or where something should be, by not being there the guys doing the work will need to just go with what they think is best, which may not be what you would have gone with.

However on the flip side getting away from the chaos and leaving them to get on with it so that they don't have to worry about keeping water and power on as best they can by not having people living there all sound like plus points.

The beauty of going last minute though is you aren't committing now, you can just wait and see how things are progressing and what the snow is like.

That us the week we are going as it is school holidays then.

Have a great time.
latest report
Interesting post. But I think Sunshine81, you know what you want to do and will not be interested in any contrary opinions. Are you worried these guys are dodgy? What are you worried they are going to take?

I would say bigger concern is if you are not around in April, they won't be either as they'll have other jobs on and will be losing onterest in yours. So basically while the cat's away nothing will get done and they start getting stuck into something else so your project gets delayed well into summer.

I would be more worried about the usual overbilling lark that goes on. They will definitely put pressure on for money before you go. And going skiing you are certainly putting out message you got loads of moolah. You seemed to say all your money was in this project. Have you anticipated likelihood of costs running over and living in construction site for summer when builders won't come back to finish job until they get paid?

Not saying all builders would be like that but you seem to be concerned these guys aren't trustworthy
snow report
Ps no offence to builders SHs, but you guys would have to agree a client who rings every day and asks what was done or why something wasn't done will get his job done quicker
snow report
peanuthead, if there is a payment plan in place i.e. Staggered payments that suit both, then the builders will want to get the job finished on time or ahead of schedule. The builder can call , which they would have to do if customer was at work, if there any questions, that far down the line they should be fully aware of the work and customers requirementsSunshine81, if you do go away, make sure that all materials needed whilst away you are providing are on site before you go and your builder will be able to crack on whilst away. It's all down to your trust in the builder, which TBH if you don't have why are you contracting them to build the extension.
snow report
1. Guaranteed your building work will end up costing you more than you expect, if not on the contractor then on fittings/furnishings your wife absolutely cannot live without.
2. Getting out of the way of the builders for a week isn't necessarily a bad thing, and if you're smart you'll time it so that the messiest work is done while you're away. If you're knocking through for example the dust will be epic and you won't want to be there.
3. I agree with peanuthead, I'd be more worried that your contractor will assume you're loaded if you let on to going skiing during a build.
snow report
Sunshine 81,

We had an extension done last year and also went way for a week during the work.

I agree entirely that it is a relationship of trust which you will feel a few weeks into your daily contact with the builders. I am sure you will have no problems though as our builders were very trustworthy. However in our situation (which won't necessarily be the same as yours) the builders were very slow and our extension (while we didn't go over budget believe it or not) took a very long time to complete and the staircase that was meant to go in while we were away didn't which caused a lot of problems especially as it was during the late winter/early Spring.

The other potential complication, is that the work is carried out without you being there to resolve any questions or issues that arise, and the builders may make their own decisions which can lead to unexpected issues later on. It sounds petty but it can have quite an impact. However I would say that by not being there in the day the same issue could arise and you need to ensure good communication.

I think once you are a few weeks in you need to ask your self this:

How much can I trust the builder and team to make the right decisions while you are away.
If they do make decisions that later on cause problems because you went away - can you accept that?
How critical is the build accuracy and drawings and how critical as a client are you?

We were quite critical that our designs and plans were realised accurately - after all my husband produced the drawings and we both designed the extension and loft conversion which was quite major. But after all the trouble and duration and issues that arose, I don't think not going on holiday would have changed anything.

One last point - the whole back of our house was exposed and boarded up (not when we were away). Not quite sure what work you are having but if you had the same kind of exposure to your house you might not want to leave it for a week and it will probably invalidate your house insurance. I'd give the insurers a call to clarify. You need to notify them anyway of the works.

I hope that helps.
ski holidays
This thread makes me quite determined never to do a major building job. wink
snow report
mini_mo, excellent post/advice.
latest report
Go away- but go when the really nasty work is being done, the knocking through, it's horrible, loud and messy. But be sure to be there to answer queries when the new wiring and plumbing is being done or you may end up with sockets in the wrong place or light switches behind doors.. The other good time to go away is after the plastering when your builders are almost done, but you can't paint or finish off cos it has to dry.
Can you book a potential couple of weeks off work and then see how it goes. and then just drive somewhere at the last minute?
This is all assuming that your builders will crack on without daily chasing. Mine always did. Just start off on the right foot by providing tea making facilities, a huge box of teabags and good biscuits..I have found the way to a builder's heart is definitely via his stomach (cake?)
wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Operation Convince The Wife will commence at 19:00 hours tomorrow when we are back from work and a glass of wine has been poured

Too soon. Wait till the builders have been there a few weeks......

+1
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy