Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets/Morzine gems?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
Heading out to Les Gets for 1st time in Feb. Staying in LG Self cat. Accomplished boarder. Any boarding suggestions for LG/Morzine Eg Tree runs/bits to avoid/hidden gems etc No knowledge of that area. May get the odd day extension to incl avoriaz etc, but limited by family commitments/lessons etc. Gone for local valley passes.
Any other local knowledge/pointers in the village welcomed. It's a family holiday with kids but can always squeeze in some apres fun. Resteraunts suggestions/bars welcome.
Debut post...be nice Blush
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mont cherry side is lovely, and really quiet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La paika restaurant les gets, les perriers area
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are staying in morzine 8-15 February, skiers and my son and myself also boarders. I have been to PdS twice before, but our accomodation was on the swiss side then. Not really much advice from me sadly, but even as a novice boarder I managed to get from Champery to super morzine (and back), so easy area to get around. Spent quite a bit a time in LG on MTBs last summer with the family and it's lovely.

When are you going?

Simone
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys.
Simone- will arrive as you leave on 15th. Heard lots of good things re village. Hoping for a head start on some terrain that takes a few days to find. Now for the large snowfall and cold temps....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always used to like the trees next to big red run down to Perrieres
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boardsift, make sure you give the boarder cross course a go great fun for all

http://en.lesgets.com/boarder-cross-deborah-anthonioz-1020.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will do Dabber. I love them. My son-8, on ski's and I whizz down them together giggling.
How many years can a dad get away with boarding? I guess the generation of original boarders are still young enough to get away with it. I'm nudging 40... Don't see many boarders beyond mid 40's. Is that because of it's chronology/evolution/peak appeal or it's potential for fractured hips?? Before the ski bods hammer me, I did ski for about 6 years b4 boarding. I prefer it. Never ski'd since. Not for all etc etc avoiding the great debate!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 17-01-14 12:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the weekends there you may want to get across to Nyon/Chamoissire early, or go over to Mont Chery. That week is obviously school hols so will be busy around the resort pistes and ranfolly I guess.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 2-02-14 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again guys. That's x2 thumbs up for mont chery..... I will of course have Stevie Wonder's "My Cherie Amour..." stuck in my head Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shhhhhh! Mt Chery doesn't really exist. It's like Narnia, Brigadoon or Hogwarts, a big secret that only exists to those in the know, especially the Marmottes run over the back (ahhh! dammit)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitters, well have you heard about the plan to put a gondola over to the lake which is going to be doom and gloom for those who know her well rolling eyes Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bit icy on the red, the black is entertaining carnage, and the ridge often means getting sand blasted. Still remember the time I nearly gave a dog a 4-paw amputation at the restaurant at the bottom as it tried to bite my ankles whilst I did a hockey stop.

If no commitments, and a day out is possible, I'd be popping over to Plaine Dranse / Linga area for few runs (and just put up with the one flattish green path on the way there).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marmotte16, yes, a big pity, although I suppose it may relieve the stress on the rest of Les Gets, and maybe some of the other lifts there might get a much needed upgrade.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all. Appetite suitably whetted. Now for some snow and cold temps!
snow report
As noted Mt Chery is good - both for skiing and burgers/hot choccolate in the restaurant that apparently has views of Mt Blanc (though we could hardly see the top of the chair next to it last Thursday!). One thing is that the black below/left of the restaurant is for experienced skiers only. One of those you do once to tick off the list but don't rush back to Smile

Doesn't sound like this one will be for you with the family commitments but if the weather's poor it's worth cracking all the way over to La Chapelle d'Abondance. When you get there you're in the trees, the snow's in good condition and you spend your time wondering where everyone else has gone. We were doing runs at 11am on slopes with just one set of tracks spoiling the piste bashers corrigations.
It looks further than it is and does have the risk of an expensive cab ride if things go wrong but from Morzine we were on the bus from Chatel to Chapelle by 10:30 and Les Gets to Morzine doesn't take an hour.
snow report
Thanks Mjit. Top tips. Trees + slope to yourself sounds inviting. Hope the half term rush don't have the same plan.
You have of course laid down a black gauntlet there. Consider it picked up..
snow report
Boardsift, Whilst Mjit, has identified a nice area it is madness to try that if you are staying in Les Gets in half term week. Ski from Les Gets to Morzine, transfer across the village and take lifts up to Avoriaz, ski down to Lindarets, over to Pre La Joux, bus to Chatel centre, change to a different bus down to La Chapelle (they are not that frequent) then up the gondola for a ski and do it all in reverse with queues at all the lifts. No way.
latest report
Loved Mont Chery. Been skiing in PDS for years but only got over there for the first time last year. Amazed how quiet it was in half term week - pistes were empty enough to play human slalom down a whole red run. Avoid the mid station restaurant, it is overpriced for what you get. The one at the top is a little more expensive but SO much nicer it's worth the extra.
We've had a lot of fun down through the trees under the Ranfolly chairlift in fresh snow, head down the piste and then cut off right just above the café on the side of the piste.
snow report
Thanks DJL. A note of caution accepted. Can always gauge things from avoriaz. Chances are we'll only get a literal pass out on a couple of days. Will also depend on conditions that week in our valley.
Thanks for the tree run tip Karin. Little Angel
latest report
DJL, worth adding that in approx 5 seasons worth of skiing the PDS I have never been to la Cd'A. Never seen the need... nor had the enthusiasm... If the weather's "poor" (i.e. "poor"=snowing as opposed to "poor"=raining) trees below Avoriaz either side more than enough fun although Lindarets significantly busier since they gladed it and put in the Stash rolling eyes

The only compensation to that is counting how many boarders have followed "tracks" or "no tracks" and are clinging to the various extant cliffs, weeping. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
under a new name, It's a nice little area (though the two chairlifts are old/slow) and often significantly quieter than other more well known bits. A big wide open area at steepish blue standard and a really good long red run (Lynx) down the La Chapelle side that can occupy an hour or two of laps off the chair and a nice bar area with fantastic cake in the restaurant at the top.

I have a significant advantage as our apartment is in Petit Chatel so it is easy to take the two Barbossine chairs and then ski down to Torgon, up the two Torgon drag lifts and you are at the col. Only takes around an hour. If I'm having a morning on my own it is often where I will head to. Most people cba to go that far from Chatel village and it is a long way from Morzine/Les Gets.

I've never been to the Cret Beni side of Cd'A or Abondance itself but one of these days............
ski holidays
DJL, sounds nice snowHead
ski holidays
check list growing.. Thanks folks.
latest report
Boardsift, my mate boards and he is 55. And quite good at it. Only think wrong is that he dresses like he's 25....
snow conditions
Thanks Dobby. I'll pack my cords and cardy with leather elbow patches then. Embarassed
ski holidays
Have just had a late March trip proposed to me, staying at a friends place so it'll be cheeeep. Any of you guys 'n gals have a view on the PdS at that time of year? What about off-piste?

I could take my plus 2s and tweed jacket, so I could fit right in.
snow conditions
Ichabod, no snow. ever. and lots of rain. everywhere.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doesn't sound good - perhaps I should stick with my plans for Courmayeur in early March then? Or are you simply trying to keep me away from the best kept secret in the alps, perhaps - hmm??
ski holidays
Boarder cross in Les gets not currently constructed, don't know if they're waiting for the February rush, but it seems to be another idea they've not followed through on (a la O'Neill freeride zone nr super -M). Pity. There's a small one just above inferno bar at nyon.
snow report
Ichabod, Morzine the "best kept secret in the Alps"??? WTF??? It may have been in 1988 but these days it's more like the Thames Estuary than Essex is.
latest report
matteevan90 wrote:
Boarder cross in Les gets not currently constructed, don't know if they're waiting for the February rush, but it seems to be another idea they've not followed through on (a la O'Neill freeride zone nr super -M). Pity. There's a small one just above inferno bar at nyon.

Think so far there just hasn't been the snow to build one with.

There was one above Chapelle d'Abondance, on the Torgon side but wasn't up to much - non bumps and so wide you could turn without getting anywhere near the banked part of the corner!
snow conditions
How easy is it to get across Les Gets if coming in from the Morzine side and heading up Mt Chery? Does it require a bus or walk or do the lifts from each side meet pretty close?
snow report
feef, it's a 5-10 minute walk
snow conditions
feef, very easy and flat. There is also a little train/bus thing that goes around every 10 mins or so except over lunch and is free.
latest report
feef Head down to the bottom of the pistes by the Hotel Bellevue- the little train goes from there and takes about 5 minutes to get to the Mt. Chery bubble (and you can ski back to the bottom bubble station too).
ski holidays
Just returned from a week in the PdS and a +1 for Mont Chery. Nice consistent vertical and no crowds whatsoever.
snow report
feef, as others have said really but there is a trick...

When heading over towards Les Gets from Les Folliets watch out for the little "Mont Chery" sign that sends you right just before the top of the (I think) Gomme lift. This brings you down in to the very right-hand corner of Les Gets as you look at it, then it's just a 400yd or so walk to the Mont Chery gondola. If you miss the turn and follow everyone else to "Les Gets" it's not the end of the world, just a slightly longer walk.
snow report
matteevan90 wrote:

I saw something from a ski school instructor on FB yesterday that it is now under construction......
ski holidays
igLou, re boarder cross - they were doing some building there yesterday when we skied past.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy