Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carbon stuff review: Ski Logik Howitzer and Dynafit Vulcan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First kit review so suggestions welcome Madeye-Smiley

Ski: Ski Logik Howitzer 186
Binding: Dynafit Radical FT
Boot: Dynafit Vulcan

Me: 6 ft tall, 77-80 kg, technically strong with a (bad) racing background.

Quick ski Review:

Quick stats: 137 - 110 - 131 22m radius, slight tip and tail rocker, twin-tipped

I like to split skis into two categories, those that would rather skid (often preferred by the freestlyle background) and those that would rather grip (preferred by the old racers). These skis sit firmly in the gripping camp! The huge advantage of the rocker innovation is that we no longer have to settle for one or the other, so when I say this ski grips it is still possible to slash a turn in the soft stuff but it just needs a bit of coercion.

The Howitzer is a reasonably stiff charger; on edge I can say that my legs start to tremble before they do. A couple of layers of carbon keep these skis locked to the deck and actually I was expecting all sorts of chatter given the lack of damping metal, this is not the case. Stick them in a straight line when it’s choppy and they will throw you around but I have the feeling this is more the stiffness at play.

Another bonus is the “relatively” short 22m radius makes these great fun in long and short turns, edge transition is fast and engagement is extremely positive (side note they need detuning immediately or they’ll rip your legs off). That said this ski is NOT a playful toy, they will drift if you force them due to their tiny tail rocker, but it takes effort and touch the backseat and you will be punished mercilessly (though that stiffness is a god-send on any drops over a few meters), I absolutely do not recommend this as an entry to powder skiing or a fun jib-tool! This lack of fun is my biggest complaint but having sacrificed that they are a great work-horse and the sintered based are bombproof (as this terrible start to the winter has insisted on testing repeatedly).

Biggest selling point however is the weight, a 186cm, 110mm charger that absorbs a little at under 4kg for the pair is, in my opinion stunning. As such they have been dynafit’ed and act as my touring rig, a job they do very well! The only thing slowing a tour is the fact that I need twice as much heavy skin to cover them! (no, I don’t have those split skin things)

Finally as it needs a mention, they are pretty! Very pretty! But please don’t be expecting the brahs to be shellin’ out mad respect! 99.5% of compliments will come from the ladies! And unfortunately it’s usually the middle-aged, Volant riding, visor viewing, VIST wearing wives.

Not going to do a long conditions review but basically:

Piste = fast and fun
Powder = charger, will pivot if you stay central but would rather do gs sized turns
Bumps = light and maneuverable for a big board, NOT forgiving
Ice = yep grips that (too well if not detuned)
Crud = busts through instead of bouncing over
Park = literally no idea but they land drops up to 4 meters without batting an eyelid.

Conclusion:

Best suited for technique orientated stronger skier, especially if looking for a reliable backcountry blaster.

Quick Boot review:

I LOVE this boot but not everyone will, it’s pretty much the same as the ski above! That wonder material carbon makes the boot Stiff and light but again no compassion for skiing mistakes and even less for those not used to negotiating the 4 layers of cuff plastic that Dynafit insist on using. On-piste it really handles like an alpine boot, off-piste it charges and touring it’s stunning. Obviously the 130 flex is massive overkill for most and definitely not worth the extra 200 euros they expect you to pay over the mercury but I have never felt it was TOO stiff which was my original fear. The tongue (especially with the inserts) hugs my shin perfectly allowing me to drive it as hard as I like with no pain at all.
Another bonus is that for those with thin heels, the heel box is (as with all dynafits) GREAT! I have the most feminine ankles on the planet and I am locked down, even in walk mode! Not one for the big foots out there, this will cripple you in a day and I would seriously question the idea of widening anything the carbon spine is wrapped around.

Couple of little complaints, stepped through some wind pack a few weeks ago snapped off one of the buckles which is a pain to replace even in super stocked St Anton! Secondly, the liner is just average, not bad but average (obviously on a €750 boot this means bad) and annoyingly, is a LOT shorter in the toe than the shell (like over a centimetre) and the toe-wall is solid, which for me makes absolutely no sense in a touring boot where length is a plus. Nothing a few cuts, a heat gun and a screwdriver-handle won’t fix but it’s always a shame to have to cut up expensive boots straight away.

Conclusion: A light, off-piste race boot with a stunning walk mode. I don’t like the term game changer but for those with small feet, strong technique and a stronger credit score its performance is unmatched at the moment!

Oh yeah and the bindings are just fine… snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-01-14 15:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great review.
Funny you should say that about the liners. I tried the CR (custom ready) and CL (custom light) liner in the Dynafit TLT6's and the CR was a lot shorter as if it was meant for a smaller boot.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What boot size are you the shells cover the point and the half size which might explain the difference.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry 27.5, no easy excuse for them there
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dulcamara, interesting, will have to check my Mercuries which must have a mahoosive amount of space as they're a 27. Interesting in a boot that has a short BSL.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nice review. hadn't seen skilogik skis before

and I've just been to their website

oooh....

Like the look of those Pitons as an allround touring ski... Pricing is OK really. I'm sure I paid the equivalent £ for my Stormrider XLs back in 2005...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have found that the liners pack out a bit, which was good for me because they were super snug at first (even after cooking) to the extent I could barely squeeze the tongue in and still close the buckles.

I actually found they ski pretty will without the tongue - in fact that is sort of why I bought them. you can turn them into a sort-of TLT6 by removing the tongue and powerstrap (and maybe the buckle over the toes) for days with lots of uphill. or use the tongue/powerstrap for when I am skiing harder
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dulcamara, sounds like your Vulcans are 12/13 vintage as the liners in the 13/14 Vulcans/Mercurys aren't short. They're also a 102mm last (in a 27/27.5) so are actually pretty wide in the forefoot.

meh, The half sizes are the exact same shell/liner/footbed as the full sizes (ie a 27 is identical to a 27.5) & both come with shims to go under the liner to reduce the volume if required.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Dynafit is now making all their own boot liners (instead of sourcing from Palu) and all are thermo-moldable.

Anybody know how good the new Dynafit liners for 14/15 are e.g. when compared to Intuition touring liners?

http://www.wildsnow.com/11958/dynafit-new-bindings-2014-2015/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, ahh, for some reason I thought the liners were different even though everything else was the same.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy