Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Punters day trip to La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
Bit of background, been skiing / snow boarding La Grave since 97 with guides.

Over the last couple of years I've skied there a few times on my own before but have stuck to the main runs and when more people have been around, this time I wanted to explore a little further afield.

I had been up three times last week when I was on the Euro Avalanche Course, and we took it in turns to "lead" the group but again we stuck pretty well to the main runs.

Last week and again this week the mountain almost seems devoid of people, which can be a little disconcerting when you're out up there on your own as it is a truly a vast area.

I struck lucky in that when I arrived at the top station could see that they had opened the glacier drag lift up that takes you to 3,600m.

As I was on my own I did not want to venture too far but scored three great runs in untracked before heading off down for one run all the way to the bottom of the valley to let the dogs out the van and have some lunch.

After lunch back up again, and this time I wanted to ski routes below P2 so opted for a run down Chancel before cutting across the Breche and back on to Vallons before heading to P2 and the trees.

Last run wanted to head off towards the Couloirs du Lac, made a bit of an error in that I missed the route for the easier Banane and ended up taking Lac Couloir which has a very gnarly entrance side slipping with just enough room for the skis with the final bit over some blue ice, once in snow was superb.

Was well pleased with the day and looking forward to be back there in ten days time with some mates, and this time with Per our guide mate who has said I can continue with my exploration with him on my shoulder Toofy Grin

Yesterday was sort of planned after the snowfall on Monday with me looking at forecasts and chatting to Per and opting for the Wednesday over the Tuesday as I thought viz would be an issue and you don't want to be skiing La Grave in bad viz.

Anyway for those that might want to read more, it's all here and have uploaded some 30 plus images here
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, nice. Thanks for sharing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Charliebigpotatoes, hope you saw what I was up to last week, kept thinking of your location, as I dug three of them there Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam, looks like a great day out. Thanks for putting the pics up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice - think I'm too much of a punter to ski La Grave solo, at least away from the "standard" routes. Mainly cos it's a bit different from calling the nearest pisteur's hut should S*** happen.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never skied La Grave. Would love to but my regular ski buddy lost his cousin in an avalanche there in the early 90s and we've been sworn off going there to avoid giving his mother a heart attack Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been a couple of times, both with Easiski. First time was in April, it was beautiful weather, was well tracked after the Derby and there was a big group of us including a lot of youngsters. It seemed rather benign tbh (I know it's not). 2nd time was in January a couple of years ago and the weather closed in and visibility was awful. 2 runs from the top to P2 and given the option of skiing down or taking the gondola I gladly rode down.

April 2009

January 2012

Hopefully should get another trip over this winter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've skied Vallons down to P1, but not sure I would like to repeat it, those huge icy moguls towards the bottom nearly finished me off. I couldn't get out of bed the next morning.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edit multiple post

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 16-01-14 17:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="betterinblack"]
Weathercam wrote:

Last run wanted to head off towards the Couloirs du Lac, made a bit of an error in that I missed the route for the easier Banane and ended up taking Lac Couloir which has a very gnarly entrance side slipping with just enough room for the skis with the final bit over some blue ice, once in snow was superb.

Jeez when Banane is the easier route skiing on your own, I'd be calling for a new pair of pants.
Having watched from the refuge someone tumble all the way down Banane, hats off to you

My god that picture makes Lac Couloir look far too flat
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like a busy day!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

My god that picture makes Lac Couloir look far too flat

but I'm impressed he found the, er, intestinal fortitude to stop and take the pic after he'd got over that ice. I think digging the camera out would have been a low priority for me...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good man Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
'Lac Couloir' looks like the entrance to 'Hidden Couloir', I presume they're one and the same? We did it a couple of years ago with offpisteskiing after a week without snow. Needless to say, the entrance was quite spicy but the remainder is a little tamer than Banane and shorter IIRC. Conditions look rather good.
ski holidays
Sharkymark, like I said been skiing / boarding LG since 97, being on your own is totally different to being in a group, though hopefully I'll look back at this and think what was the big deal rolling eyes

I often drag this vid out as I still think it encapsulates what it's like to score great conditions both here in Serre and La Grave, plus a great sound track and you will not see better rooster tails (at the end) and it was way back in 2001 before Youtube etc

And four of us from that vid will be ripping with the same guide in ten days time (hopefully)

Babylon - La Grave 2001 - Simon Bedford from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/37009823

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-01-14 23:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
OUr very first trip to Serre Che was towards the end of the 2001 season . Amazing snow conditions.
ski holidays
Proper back in the day! Some pretty awesome face shots at the start.
ski holidays
Weathercam, that video is awesome. Were you snowboarding or skiing back then?
latest report
meh, back then was snowboarding, the guy with no helmet taking big long fast turns and doing a lot of the filming, so often had the first tracks Toofy Grin

Guy in the red helmet (snowboarding) is out with us along with the "hucker".

And Per (the guy riding the Swallow Tail at the end) is the guide.

Stopped snow boarding after quite a few big touring trips as it became obvious that touring and snow boarding is not the best fit.

Plus growing old gracefully skiing is so much better on the body as those that know the traverses in La Grave to P1 will testify.

And one of the skiers getting facefulls of powder stopped for around ten years after a bit of a day in La Grave when he was in two avalanches, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, both quite "safe" if there is such a thing, but freaked him big time Shocked
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
'Lac Couloir' looks like the entrance to 'Hidden Couloir', I presume they're one and the same? We did it a couple of years ago with offpisteskiing after a week without snow. Needless to say, the entrance was quite spicy but the remainder is a little tamer than Banane and shorter IIRC. Conditions look rather good.

I thought that couloir was called Patou, if it is the one I am thinking of, which was apparently named after a lady in the resort. (It has er - a very narrow entry).

I remember the entrance for about ten metres was marginally wider than my skis so I think we more or less side stepped down it to begin. If it is the same one I would agree that it is a little easier than Banane
snow report
Weathercam, yeah saw on you Lyngen video that you were using approach skis and a board. Must have been heavy!
snow report
richjp, ah, could be. Patou's on the other side of the lake to Banane, isn't it? I think the hidden couloir is next to Banane and I remember it being relatively easy to take the wrong route. Patou has more of a traverse, some of which is quite spicy!
ski holidays
Patou is further along counterclockwise along the lake from banane.
Weathercam, good work.
snow report
Wasn't meant to be over there till this Wednesday, but Sunday night saw texts and emails flying around to make a plan based on the forecast and the snow that was starting to fall.

So early Monday dug the van out and headed over the Col which was one hell of a gnarly drive with me doubting if the lift would be open as it was so windy.

Met my mates in the Castillian (as ever) and we had three La Grave virgins with us, one a very very good skier and two guys who had skied off piste but not to this degree.

Our guide was my good friend Per who had done the commission earlier in the morning.

Conditions were superb in the morning with great viz, after lunch we lost three of the group due to tired legs, and conditions deteriorated but enough "couloir" light to do Trifide and Bananne.

http://youtube.com/v/YL5o8lT9dBc&feature=youtu.be

And more pictures here
latest report
Weathercam, Lovely pics... will be there at halfterm. Missed last year due to injury. Properly exited now Laughing
snow conditions
Back over there yesterday, ski touring above Chazelet - weather was foul later on and worse today but we're back up the hill this morning

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy