Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fractured Femur

Poster: A snowHead
jb1970, bad luck but I'm sure you'll bounce back. Which insurance company did you use?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know a couple of ski kids who have broken their femur.

One broke two and his tib-fib all in the same accident. Breaking two is fairly brutal for rehab and for getting about.

both ski now. both boys, doing jumps, one doing a spreadeagle in trees
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, Ooh bad luck and sounds nasty. Quite a long recovery I should think. How long are you non-weight bearing? Will you manage at home?

As others have said...and from my an experience...the physio is vital. You will have to be a gym bunny to get the inevitable muscles loss back but it is totally doable. kitenski had a bad femur break and made a good recovery. My physio did too, although he now doesn't play rugby and does triathlon instead.

Keep us posted on how you are doing....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, I fractured my femur many years ago, it hurts but does heal back stronger and I'm sure you'll bounce back...

a couple of things I'd suggest

Firstly do the physio, do more if it doesn't hurt. I was doing exercises every hour at one point...

Secondly I went skiing a year later, in Scotland for 2 days. The aim was a) get back on the horse (so to speak) and b) see if I still enjoyed it!

Fortunately I did, but I smashed mine in a tuck, it takes years and years for the worry of being in a tuck (for me) to subside...

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, just read this, and sorry to do so. All the very best with your recovery.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Like Kitenski says..do the physio... as much as you can and you will be fine..
i smashed my knee up in march last year, and although i have a plate holding it all together i managed to go to Chill factor on 1st November and ski nearly like normal ..the leg it still a shade weaker than my good one though and i did loads of physio , an hour every morning but it paid off, full on ski holiday on Sunday wink then another hopefully in March all being well.

get well , all the best
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's the rehab that's the important factor now. Listen to what your physio says and DO it. The first time you put skis on again that person will be your first thought. Send them a postcard.

PS I'm not a physio, I've just been there (not fractured femur tho)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also check to see if your insurance covers private insurance. Mine had £500 worth. While the nhs will give you some it won't be anywhere near enough
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jb1970,
Get well sooner.

kitenski,
Have you still got all that metal work in your leg or did they take it out sometime later?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, it got taken out a year later, on the assumption I was going to ski again and if it was left in it would cause a right mess if I broke the bone again.

I have it in a cupboard somewhere.........

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 4-02-14 15:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh man, I hope you feel better soon and remember, get straight back on the horse!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, ouch
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oooh! Sad Sorry mate, all the best.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, impressed they let you keep all the metalwork.
Many UK hospitals have taken to refusing patients their rods and plates and screws on a variety of spurious reasons, such as danger of new variant CJD or you could injure yourself with the pointy bits.
As far as I know, the situation is still governed by DOH Health Notice HN(83)6
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I don't know - i just fell!

If you fractured your femur in a fairly minor sort of fall it might be worth having your bone density checked, once you are on the road to recovery. Ask your GP - it's not only old women who get osteoporosis and you might (like me) have a degree of bone loss short of full-scale osteoporosis.
snow report
jb1970, very bad luck to have that happen. Glad to hear you had a positive experience with insurance, rescue and medics and also that kitenski has already posted on here about his positive experience of returning to skiing after the same injury. Do keep us posted on your rehab and recovery, make some plans about how to take advantage of your time off, eat well and look after yourself x
snow conditions
jb1970, Sorry about your accident. If it helps, I broke my femur in the 80's in an off road motorcycle prang. Hurt like buggery but stuck to physio regime and healed well, no long term probs.
snow report
jb1970, BUMP, how are you? Very Happy
snow report
jb1970 Sorry to hear about your freak accident, good luck on a quick and straightforward recovery Smile
ski holidays
Oh, poor you! Let us all know how you're getting on.
latest report
Good luck with your recovery. Glad your insurance company were good
latest report
Thanks to everyone for their positive comments. I've been to see the Orthopaedic Surgeon and to go back again at the end of February. Been told its just a matter of time until things heal. Surgeon told me to not use the splint anymore and I don't. Physiotherapist has come out to the house twice and given me exercises to do which I have been doing several times a day. Been told not to weight bear for the time being. Other than that, things ok.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
jb1970, bad luck but I'm sure you'll bounce back. Which insurance company did you use?

www.insureforall.com

They were absolutely brilliant. The day before my accident, my mobile completely died on me, so I had to use the phone at my hospital bed (I was only allowed one free phone call, but made a lot more than that and the hospital didn't charge me). Anyway, the woman at the insurance company phoned me back a number of times to reassure me and give me updates. Ambulance from hospital to Geneva airport, flight direct to Edinburgh and then ambulance from Edinburgh airport home to Glasgow and wheeled right into my living room!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 4-02-14 3:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
jb1970,

Only just seen this, glad you're on the mend albeit slowly
snow conditions
jb1970, glad you're on the mend.
latest report
jb1970, Pleased to hear you are recovering. Keep up the exercises - you'll be grateful you did later!..and don;t be tempted to weight bear too soon, even if you feel like you can!
snow conditions
^ +1
latest report
Really bad luck, jb1970.
As the last person on here to get leg-metal before you (but tib and fib), I send fraternal greetings.
Get well soon. It can get a bit boring - I hope you like reading (or writing). Only very limited physio I can do so far, but yesterday, 3 weeks after the accident, I managed to go to a concert. Other people make way for someone on crutches I noticed.
I too had another 2 weeks booked - my group are in Gressoney now. (sigh)
Mind you, the femur can be very serious - I gather you can even bleed to death (people regularly died from femur breaks in earlier centuries!)

Do you have a print out of your x-rays? Gets you loads more sympathy. (kitenski Ooh that was really nasty! Do you still have all that metal-work or was some taken out later?)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, I hope you got a free seat at the concert for your "carer"! I went to the London Meet Up the week after my accident in a wheelchair and got 1/3rd off the train ticket, then to the pictures and got a free ticket for my husband (I didn't dare go out on crutches)! I don't recommend it as a money saving strategy though!

and yes, kitenski did get the metalwork removed.....
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
DB, it got taken out a year later, on the assumption I was going to ski again and if it was left in it would cause a right mess if I broke the bone again.

I have it in a cupboard somewhere.........

From an earlier answer Smile
snow report
snowball wrote:

Do you have a print out of your x-rays? Gets you loads more sympathy.

Unfortunately no because I gave them to the Orthopaedic Surgeon here in Glasgow and presumably they have been uploaded onto the hospital x-ray system.
snow conditions
jb1970,
Good luck and hope you heal soon. You could always ask your doctor to show you the X Ray to take a picture of it on your mobile if you want to show it, I'm sure most would oblige.
snow conditions
I had a spiral fracture of my tibia back in 1996 and felt pretty worried on my next day back on snow 6 months later, but within an hour had my confidence back so don't worry too much about getting back on the horse.
ski holidays
Get well soon and speaking as someone who f**ked themselves big time years ago, absense definitely makes the heart grow fonder.

At the time I was convinced that my skiing days were finished, I was even adamant they were....but as the month rolled on and I got back on my feet...I walked, then I walked quicker, then I walked longer, then I jogged, then I ran....Winter arrived and you know what I did next.

Hang on in there.
snow report
holidayloverxx, well, I might not have risked a rock concert on crutches but this was classical (first performance of Maxwell Davies' 10th symphony) Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy