Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to shop for ski-wear

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going out to L2A at the beginning of Feb, and am hoping to go shopping this weekend or next for some new ski-wear. Any recommendations for a good place to go for reasonable prices and knowledgeable staff? It's really just base layers and a new pair of ski trousers that I need (my others are too big - annoying, but a nice feeling at the same time!) I don't mind buying online to get the best price but would like to try stuff on first Smile (Some recommendations for online stores would be good too!)

I live in Oxfordshire and last time I went skiing I went to the Helly Hanson outlet store at Bicester Village, and managed to get some really good deals. But that seems to have disappeared Sad Anywhere in the South East/Central and London would be fine, but ideally somewhere I can spend a day shopping (get coffee, lunch etc) as I might treat myself to some new apres-ski clothes too Very Happy I've only done a couple of weeks previously (and as quite a nervous skier) so I'm not ready to splash out lots of money, but it doesn't have to be dirt cheap either.

I'm thinking I may end up going into London, just for the amount of choice available, the only area I know of is just off the Strand (can't remember the street name), other suggestions would be much appreciated Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you looking for bargains of full on winter sports shops?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strand would probably be Southampton Street. Be all full price stuff there I guess, although probably nearly end of season sales in there?

TX Maxx, Aldi, Decathlon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd agree with what andy, said, I went to Decathlon yesterday to get a rucksack and they have a fair selection of stuff. Lots of baselayers and all very reasonable, limited range of Outerwear at my store though (Lakeside)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homers double wrote:
Are you looking for bargains of full on winter sports shops?

I don't really mind, I just want stuff that's good quality, that I can keep using each year. But at the same time I hate paying full price for things (it's all psychological I'm sure - mark something as 1/2 price in one store and I'm interested, where as if the same think in another store was at the same price as the discounted store, but not labelled as having a discount I probably wouldn't look twice!).

I forgot about TK Maxx Andy, I looked in there a few weeks ago and there was nothing, worth another look though!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lewisb22 wrote:
I'd agree with what andy, said, I went to Decathlon yesterday to get a rucksack and they have a fair selection of stuff. Lots of baselayers and all very reasonable, limited range of Outerwear at my store though (Lakeside)

Don't think I've ever actually been to Decathlon - that shall go on my list too Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TK Maxx is worth a look. I pop in now and again and struck lucky the other day when I had an hour to waste between trains in Aberdeen, 2 pairs of smartwool socks for £7.99 each. The exact same socks I saw 2 days before for £21.99. They also usually have base layers and there were plenty ski trousers and jackets when I was in. It's worth looking in as many as you can, some are better than others. Aldi did ski wear not so long ago, you might get lucky and find some left. Their merino base layers (Crane) are superb and not just because they are cheap. Another place worth trying is Go Outdoors. We have one up here in Inverness and whilst some of the stuff is rubbish some is really good and well priced.
There's some good stuff on sale at Nevisport just now but I think the furthest South they have a shop is Manchester. Another one worth a look, whilst I don't like the shop you do sometimes get a great bargain, is Blacks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decathlon in reading should be on your list if you are looking for value. Also Sport Pursuit .com

London is Covent Garden with Ellis Brigham, Snow and Rock, Oakley, T North Face, Arcteryx, Patagonia, Rohan, Cotswold all in the same area (southampton street but also N side of the Garden).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The oxford street tkmaxx still had lots in at new year.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Outdoormegastore.co.uk have some good discounts. Im looking at the Trespass trousers on offer. As suggested SportPursuit.com also have Trespass trousers on offer.

Base layers - I am not fussy. I buy any thermals on offer. Never been cold skiing and I use Tescos, Regatta, etc. Again fleece layer beneath coat I have some regatta, some tog24. Job done.

I am sure the pros will recommend some branded gear that is loads better, but my basic base layers do the job just fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the responses everyone! Some really good tips.

Although I think I'm getting slightly over excited for a shopping trip! Typical girl when it comes to clothes, put that with not getting out much usually, and shopping for clothes for a holiday (not had one for a couple of years)... and it's difficult to contain my excitement!!

And because I've used the word excited too many times I've now got that song from the old Crunchie advert in my head! I'm so excited....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh and have a look at Uniqlo for thermals as well, Mrs MM likes for skiing and regular wear. Westfield White City (& JD Sport, Ellis Brigham, North Face) - then you can park and Central line to Holborn, 5 minutes walk to Covent Garden! Job done!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy