Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - Kids foot pain in boot.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My son has some rossington radical boots that were bought brand new. He's not skied a lot in them but has had about 12 hours in the local fridge and a couple of days in Scotland since we got them so id assume they are fairly well broken in.
He's now complaining of excruciating pain on the bottoms of his feet. To be fair to the lad, they are an absolute pain to put on. When we bought them, we noticed a lot of racing kids at the local club were wearing them and I was told they were a kids race boot. I assumed they were possibly therefore a bit stiff and tight but hoped they'd bed in. Clealy not.

Are they likely to improve or do you think a footbed might help? His feet are growing still but a shell check suggests they're still ok. I'm thinking of just getting some second hand boots from eBay to put him on till his feet stop growing as they are really hurting him, even after an hours skiing so it's not like they are letting up.

Any suggestions appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
difficult to say without seeing the feet, but normally kids don't moan about boots unless there is something up (adults on the other hand rolling eyes rolling eyes )

if the shell check is good then it is most likely that either he needs a bit more support or his calf muscles are tight which is loading his foot unevenly

which flex is it, you can soften most of them a little be removing one of the two bolts in the spine (don't recommend both), getting them on, pull the tongue out to the outside edge rather than straight forward and try and follow it with the foot

worth popping to your local fitter and having them take a look, where are you, i may be able to suggest someone
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Certainly pain on the bottom of the foot is a classic symptom of insufficient support, especially under the arch. A decent footbed might help with that. Obviously a custom footbed would be best but that's not cheap for children since they grow out of them.

Before doing anyhing else, you can do an experiment. I built up a footbed around the arch using some gaffer tape and pieces of high density foam plastiic. This was an emergency solution (for a child on a ski camp) but it worked pretty well. If you can get an improvment that way it at least gives you a firm diagnosis of the problem.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My son's feet hurt in a similar way when he got new boots at Christmas. The standard insole was completely flat so we swapped it out for a shaped one from his trainers and the pain stopped. Wondering now about buying foot beds, boot size is only 21.5!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for the suggestions so far.. Just to answer some of the things raised above, the boots are Radical JR3 with four clips. There are no obvious indications of flex rating, nor obvious ways of changing the flex. There is something on the side that looks like a canting adjustment bolt but not sure. There is only one bolt on the spine and that just seems to hold two pieces of the shell together. They seem quite a heavy and stiff boot. I've had a closer look at the footbeds and there is very little arch so maybe a different footbed might help...

CEM, can you confirm roughly what space there should be between his heel and the back of the boot on a shell check?.

Very many thanks...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Problems with boot fit was why we gave up buying boots for our boys. They would be fine for one trip at Xmas then by half term or Easter they would be hurting, not always due to growth in the length of the foot either. Maybe the muscle structure changed in the foot or the leg, I really don`t know and we had various suggestions from boot fitters in the resort where the problem occurred. Sometimes the issue was resolved but it was always such hassle that in the end we found it easier to hire each time. Especially since the idea that the boots could be passed down through the family did not work as they had different shaped feet! rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shootingmike, the radical JR3 is not the race version of that boot, so it shouldn't be too stiff, the bolt on that one really should stay, it is not integral to the boot remaining in one piece but it will affect the rebound of the flex if it is removed

shell check for an adult we try to work 10-20mm as a rule but there are occasions when tighter or looser are required, for a growing foot i would say up to 25mm is acceptable but you don't really want to go any more (again this all depends on foot volume)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmm.. he has about 15 to 20 mm I'd say. I might try some Insoles and see if it helps. Thanks again for the advice, it's appreciated
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shootingmike, we use Superfeet insoles in my lad's boots, huge improvement over the supplied insole. We have green in at the moment but might change to blue as I think they are lower volume and his feet are growing so blue might eek them out til the end of the season. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Sarah. Was looking at super feet....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy