Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TEN YEARS OF SNOWHEADS [born 5 Feb 2004]. What does it all mean?

Poster: A snowHead

The Institute of Directors: best snow on upper floors
The Pall Mall Summit: where it happened

The Institute of Directors has been "supporting businesses and the people who run them since 1903" (quoting from the IOD's website, poignantly revealing a birthdate which matches the SCGB's).

This is not the sort of establishment where you arrive on a space-hopper (chauffeur-driven or not). Inside the building, the MCs of the SCGB and snowHeads would have enjoyed waiter service at tables reserved for discreet business discussions through the decades, surrounded by large oil paintings.

Pall Mall is also home to the Travellers Club (founded 1819), Athenaeum Club (founded 1824), Oxford and Cambridge Club (1830), Reform Club (1836), Army & Navy Club (1837) and RAC Club (1897). In 1630, the area's first court for playing pall-mall (a mallet-and-ball game similar to croquet and golf) was laid out north of the highway, in an area known as St. James's Field (later Pall Mall Field).

Only the best and most sporting location to mastermind the future of British skiing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

The Pall Mall Summit: so who was there?

As reported yesterday, the MCs of "the UK's two largest ski clubs" met yesterday in Pall Mall: Frank McCusker, chief executive of the Ski Club of Great Britain, and Graham MacMahon, admin/webmaster of snowHeads.

McCusker took over day-to-day control of the SCGB in July 2012, inheriting a social media situation defined 8+ years earlier. MacMahon was originally a participant on the pre-2004 SCGB Forum (using the 'u brain' moniker), who set up snowHeads within hours of the SCGB pulling the plug.

What did the two Macs bring to the table (at the Institute of Directors) and what did they discuss? That's for them to reveal (or not) in due course - I don't know.

And what - from their respective backgrounds - made the meeting worthwhile and goal-focused? Perhaps there will be developments. We shall see.

The only other thing I know is that at least one other person was present.

Comedy Goldesmith wrote:

LATER TODAY ... I hope to bring news of a surprising development relating to the above ... and what may involve some
re-thinking ...

Is that the suprising development? Puzzled Puzzled

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 15-01-14 11:20; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
why isnt there a yawning smiley?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hyst wrote:

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

LATER TODAY ... I hope to bring news of a surprising development relating to the above ... and what may involve some
re-thinking ...

Is that the suprising development? Puzzled Puzzled

Yes it is, and I assume you're telling us that it's an unsurprising development. If that isn't a surprising development then I'm the President of Space Hoppers of Great Britain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or POSH of GB, to put it another way...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does the money one donates now go to The Skiclub of Great Britain in the future? Shocked That was not my idea!

I like this forum as it is very open, and atracks people around the world.

And no it is a suprice to me. Sad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 15-01-14 11:44; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Will David's ban apply here?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hyst wrote:
Does the money one donates now go to The Skiclub of Great Britain in the future?

Err ... the little I know of admin, and his consummate skill in attracting money like an electromagnet, suggests to me that the cash-flow might be in the opposite direction.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hyst wrote:
Does the money one donates now go to The Skiclub of Great Britain in the future? Shocked That was not my idea!

Hyst, I don't think you need worry about that - imho it's no more likely that the money sHs donate will go to SCGB than it would go to Snivel! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So will Graham be selling space hoppers with an SKGB logo on them?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unbranded space-hopper, off-piste ...

http://youtube.com/v/LXg3rMx2uyE
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
@ Admin - when will Snowheads logo underpants be available?

...and will they be tiny carving underpants or good old fashioned long straight ones ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
....... and do you do large? (I've got a big helmet)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well who'd have thought my little 'talk to Frank' would have become such a 'High level summit' - thank you for your 'typically measured' reporting CG Laughing

It's common knowledge that there has been a certain 'frostiness' between snowHeads and the SCGB.
In the past, I've made attempts to build bridges but there always seemed to be someone at the other end setting fire to them rolling eyes
So... I was pleased to get a call from Frank McCusker recently, suggesting we have lunch soon and look at how we might interact with each other more effectively.

He, Simon Henwood and I had a light lunch and a pleasant chat, agreeing that it would make sense for us to pull together here and there to make things better for all. We touched on a few ideas as examples but made no firm arrangements. We'll see what transpires.

No money changed hands other than Frank, being the present member of the IOD, kindly paying for lunch - although he did so with some difficulty as a stranger had accidentally already paid our bill Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

he did so with some difficulty as a stranger had accidentally already paid our bill

might not have been an accident Little Angel

Anyhow, down to the important stuff...

what did you have to eat?
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

he did so with some difficulty as a stranger had accidentally already paid our bill

Anyhow, down to the important stuff...

what did you have to drink?

FTFY.
snow report
This is Fun !
Great Journalism Comedy Goldsmith, but I think you needed to fill out more of the details of what actually went on - what the rules were, and some statistics from the game of pall mall - was there a world series?
snow report
All SCGB discounts now apply to snowHeads and vice versa?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 15-01-14 13:16; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

Oh.... that was you winking at us from across the room was it?

Actually, I did learn one rather interesting fact.
Frank mentioned that about a month after he took the job at SCGB, their solicitors sent an update of matters pending amongst which was an 'ongoing litigation' with snowHeads.
"Really!" I said, "that was still 'ongoing' at that stage?"
"Yes" he replied, "but naturally I told them it was silly and to drop it."

They must not be very good at litigation if the other party doesn't even know it's going on!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
I hope we get a Birthday Card this year. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
admin wrote:
'ongoing litigation' with snowHeads.

Obviously some of us haven't been members for ten years and cant realy be bothered disecting Goldfish's posts so I'd hazzard a guess that someone took offence at someone setting up a ski forum in temper?

We did that when Bikeradar took over from MBUK, nobody gave a sh*t.
snow report
Quote:

Oh.... that was you winking at us from across the room was it?

no, it was DG disguised as me. It was the only way he could get in, apparently.
snow conditions
Yes, Goldsmith and PJSki turned up together

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 15-01-14 13:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I bet you could hang your coat on those.
ski holidays
I got the impression Wee Frank was not as hidebound as the geezer what banned Goldfish.

He was not even a posh Jock.

Maybe a rapprochment is in the offing.
snow report
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Freshtracks and Bashes so far.

This can't be about lunches and litigation - I'd follow the money. Both the SCGB and snowHeads have discovered the attractions of organising and selling group holidays. Both are chasing a similar demographic of non-family skiers seeking a fun time with similar company - most likely with some instruction/guiding on top - so snowHeads (which doesn't oblige participants to pay a subscription) is a potent threat to a club which does require its new holidaymakers to join and pony-up.

Of course, social media - forums, news, information, discussion, advice, learning - is the new binding agent of an enlightened ski community in the 21st century. Social networking and private messaging are probably now essential to make a ski club meaningful, unified and active throughout the year. And, as we've seen, this constant stream of communication gets people on holiday together.

Perhaps the SCGB is waking up to an attitude of "if we can't beat them, we must join them."

[/end of non-comedic outburst]
snow report
yawn
latest report
hobbiteater, hows this one?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith, Bashes around 400 punters I guess, Frestracks around 2000. What can either offer each other?
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, Bashes around 400 punters I guess, Frestracks around 2000. What can either offer each other?

Commission! Lunch? Bribes! Share certificates?
ski holidays
You missed Chocolate buttons....
snow report
Quote:

Both are chasing a similar demographic of non-family skiers

I'll get my coat then if I'm not wanted here - well anywhere!
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Both are chasing a similar demographic of non-family skiers seeking a fun time with similar company

So Snowheads exists solely to get people to go on bashes?
ski holidays
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

This can't be about lunches and litigation - I'd follow the money. Both the SCGB and snowHeads have discovered the attractions of organising and selling group holidays. Both are chasing a similar demographic of non-family skiers seeking a fun time with similar company - most likely with some instruction/guiding on top - so snowHeads (which doesn't oblige participants to pay a subscription) is a potent threat to a club which does require its new holidaymakers to join and pony-up.

Of course, social media - forums, news, information, discussion, advice, learning - is the new binding agent of an enlightened ski community in the 21st century. Social networking and private messaging are probably now essential to make a ski club meaningful, unified and active throughout the year. And, as we've seen, this constant stream of communication gets people on holiday together.

Perhaps the SCGB is waking up to an attitude of "if we can't beat them, we must join them."

Except that Fresh Tracks is doing very nicely indeed.

Fresh Tracks offerings are premium priced whereas Snowheads tend towards cheap and cheerful.

So not necessarily rivals.

The SCGB Forum is a bit pony; but then the members mostly do not give a s*** about forums.
snow conditions
The past

Angel Smiley Fighting with Devil

The future

Hearts And Kisses

??

snow report
Hyst, theres really no need for it to be a "them and us" situation so fingers crossed
ski holidays
Look. I'm on holiday. Against my better judgement I have dipped into this thread. Please will someone send up smoke signals or something when there is actually anything to discuss on this topic. I really don't want to know whether admin had fish fingers or boiled haddock, but such information would be more interesting than what has gone on so far.

Goodnight
snow report
rolling eyes

If Rupert Ponsonby-Smyth joins I'm off......
snow conditions
JohnHSmith wrote:
Look. I'm on holiday. Against my better judgement I have dipped into this thread. Please will someone send up smoke signals or something when there is actually anything to discuss on this topic. I really don't want to know whether admin had fish fingers or boiled haddock, but such information would be more interesting than what has gone on so far.

Goodnight

I must congratulate you, JohnHSmith, on that posting ... which (to my mind) is the most ludicrous on this thread. Firstly, you say you're "on holiday". What is the relevance of that remark?

"Against my better judgement ...". Indeed, you have clearly stumbled upon this work of literature and then regretted you ever picked up the book. Well, my heart bleeds for you.

"Please will someone send up smoke signals or something ... I really don't want to know whether admin had fish fingers or boiled haddock, but such information would be more interesting than what has gone on so far."
Well, in that case you should know that admin actually ate smoked haddock. But you won't ever learn that, because you've now quit this thread in a fit of pique.

I wish you a pleasant holiday and wish you were here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy